• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Team Creating New Game For Wii U, Is A New IP

Kamek

This will be the game that justifies my day one purchase of a Wii U. Xenoblade is the best game I've played this gen, and the game that's made me feel the most engrossed since I played Okami on PS2. Not many games give me that ethereal feeling anymore, sadly, but Monolith, like Retro, will surely deliver.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I find it interesting and encouraging that Nintendo is already talking about this project. Seems like they might have been paying attention to the great reception Xenoblade received.

If its an rpg and Im hoping it is, I really hoping the game is more Xenoblade then Baten Kaitos. Baten Kaitos was interesting, but I cant stand linear worlds in rpgs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I find it interesting and encouraging that Nintendo is already talking about this project. Seems like they might have been paying attention to the great reception Xenoblade received.

Presumably they view their launch buyers as more core heavy than later, so it makes sense to try to attract as many as they can up front, especially when they have the tech advantage.

klee123

Like Bayonetta 2, this will be a system seller title for me.

Seriously Ninty has really impressed me with their commitment to Japanese developed games.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Day 1 purchase. Hopefully we won't need Operation Rainfall 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Xenoblade was easily the best JRPG of last gen (though that isn't saying much, since pretty much every other JRPG dev dropped the ball big time). I can't wait to see what they do with HD. Hopefully Nintendo/Monolith will give this game the hype and exposure it deserves.

klee123

Day 1 purchase. Hopefully we won't need Operation Rainfall 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Xenoblade was easily the best JRPG of last gen (though that isn't saying much, since pretty much every other JRPG dev dropped the ball big time). I can't wait to see what they do with HD. Hopefully Nintendo/Monolith will give this game the hype and exposure it deserves.

At this rate I won't even bother with US Nintendo consoles like how I used to. Nintendo Europe seems to be making all the right decisions in comparison.

shark sandwich

At this rate I won't even bother with US Nintendo consoles like how I used to. Nintendo Europe seems to be making all the right decisions in comparison.

I don't get it. Many JRPGs sell just as well or better in the USA than they do in Japan.

In fact, according to a certain game sales ranking site, Xenoblade sold nearly twice as many copies in the USA as in Japan. It also sold ~25% more in Europe than in Japan.

Hopefully Nintendo and Monolith got the message.

klee123

I don't get it. Many JRPGs sell just as well or better in the USA than they do in Japan.

In fact, according to a certain game sales ranking site, Xenoblade sold nearly twice as many copies in the USA as in Japan. It also sold ~25% more in Europe than in Japan.

Hopefully Nintendo and Monolith got the message.

Depends on the series though. At this stage, long running series like Tales, SMT and etc still sell the bulk in Japan. However new IPs like Xenoblade definitely has a better chance outside of Japan.

guys post the music a totally spoiling Xenoblade for those who have yet to play it
KuGsj.gif

ScOULaris

Give me an HD remaster of Xenoblade and I'll buy that shit harder than anything has ever been purchased before. I will literally break the register at the store by slamming my fistful of cash down onto it.

shark sandwich

Depends on the series though. At this stage, long running series like Tales, SMT and etc still sell the bulk in Japan. However new IPs like Xenoblade definitely has a better chance outside of Japan.

Going by the same site, Persona 3 and Devil Survivor Overclocked sold more in the USA than in Japan. Devil Survivor and Persona 4 sold nearly the same in both regions. So yeah, even a niche series like that can find some decent sales here :)

wrowa

I think it's been apparent for quite a while now that Monolithsoft's Wii U project is pretty important to Nintendo. Probably not only because of the great critcal acclaim Xenoblade received, but also because Monolithsoft is Nintendo Japan's most experienced team in terms of graphics. What they are going to develop will be a looker and that's what Nintendo needs since its internal teams never have been focused on graphics very much.

wrowa

What are the numbers for Xenoblade in Japan, US and EUR?

The last known Japanese numbers are 140k at the end of 2010 (Famitsu). I don't think we ever got EU numbers and in the US Xenoblade wasn't tracked by NPD due to it being exclusive to Gamestop.

Chartz is pulling out numbers out of their asses, as usual. There's a good reason why the site is banned.

Banned
I loved the Xenosaga trilogy more than all the FF's on the PS2. I loved Xenoblade Chronicles more than any other JRPG this gen, and I anticipate Takahashi and Monolith will most likely create my favourite JRPG next gen with this Wii U title in development. How they can top the scale and setting of Xenoblade is a mystery to me though.

I just hope Reggie pulls his head out of his ass and localizes it day 1 instead of having an entire operation to bring it over to the Americas.

Top Bottom