• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenogears or Chrono Cross?

Vortex566

Never played either of these classic PSX games. Looking for some advice on which one to play first. I've played Chrono Trigger and absolutely loved it, but I've heard Chrono Cross is not even in the same league? I've also heard that the second disc of Xenogears is like reading a book, is this correct? What should I expect?

Corpekata

Banned
I'll vote for CC. For me Xenogears was my top contender for "Wow this really doesn't hold up" award as far as revisiting JRPGs of my youth goes.

yes the second disk of Xenogears is like a Visual Novel, not a lot of Gameplay.

But i would recommend it over Chrono Cross, the story and characters are a lot more memorable in my opinion.

The thing that they both have in common is the two greatest Soundtracks in gaming both from Mitsuda :)

Mash83

I remember being hyped beyond belief when chrono cross released. I also remember being disappointed. I don't think it's a bad game but iirc xenogears was a better game.

Kain

First? It doesn't matter, both are awesome. Just make sure to play both.

If you come of playing Trigger maybe you should start by CC. CC has a long start up time but when it picks up the pace it gets really cool. The main problem I had with the game was the ridiculous amount of characters, although you can just choose a fixed party and not bother with the rest.

Xenogears is the contrary: it starts on a high note and somewhat loses steam in the middle to pick up again the awesomeness in the end. Honestly the only real problem I had with the game was the slow text speed, it's horrible. I had no problems with CD2 and yes, CD2 is like a visual novel without choices and some random dungeons thrown in the middle. Some say it's a deliberate choice but it's not, the game was too ambitious for its own good and the budget went to shit by that point of developement. Still, it's a masterpiece and not even Xenoblade or Xenosaga, even if they ere insanely good, can touch this game in my opinion.

Also Mitsuda's best work in both of them, CC OST in particular is mindblowingly good.

tokkun

The 2nd disc of Xenogears feels unfinished, but the 1st disc is 50 hours long, so you don't really feel short-changed by it.

Xenogears by a country mile. Story music and art kill Chrono Cross.

You can say whatever you want about Xenogears. But the music doesn't hold a candle to the greatest soundtrack of all time.

OP, Chrono Cross is unlike any other RPG out there. Play both, but play CC first and enjoy the ride. Don't burn yourself out on pursuing every character; just make your decisions, and have fun with the greatest RPG of that generation.

All you haters, don't make me call Ishida into this thread.

Yazuka

Xenogears is a fantastic game, I would highly recommend. Could never quite get into Chrono Cross myself.

You can say whatever you want about Xenogears. But the music doesn't hold a candle to the greatest soundtrack of all time.

OP, Chrono Cross is unlike any other RPG out there. Play both, but play CC first and enjoy the ride. Don't burn yourself out on pursuing every character; just make your decisions, and have fun with the greatest RPG of that generation.

All you haters, don't make me call Ishida into this thread.

the standard battle theme of Chrono Cross is not the greatest, it boggles my mind that its a track of the same soundtrack xD

Korigama

Xenogears first. That said, as much as I love its soundtrack, I consider it second to the one in Chrono Cross as far as Mitsuda's work is concerned.
the standard battle theme of Chrono Cross is not the greatest, it boggles my mind that its a track of the same soundtrack xD
Yeah, I'd say that's the only weak track on the entire OST overall.

Wireframe

Only played a bit of CC and liked what I saw but Xenogears is incredible. Disk one has almost perfect pacing and if it wasn't for FF7 development diverting resources, the second disk would have had much more put into it. As it stands it's one of the best RPG's but it could've been so much more.

Celegus

They're pretty different and great in their own ways, but I gotta say I enjoyed Chrono Cross much more. Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've played them.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Xenogears. I wouldn't even put Chrono Cross in the same league as Xenogears. Chrono Trigger? Now that would be a different story.

Meneses

Xenogears for sure (i'm biased since it's one of my favorite games ever).

I did enjoy Chrono Cross as well, but I don't remember actually finishing it.

If you're a Soundtrack fan, though, you can't go wrong with either of them. Mitsuda is amazing.

Synless

Xenogears for sure. That said, while it does have an amazing OST, Chrono Cross has the better soundtrack (minus battle theme).

I will also say Xenogears. It will always have a special place in my heart and I replay it every couple years or so.

I also agree that both have excellent soundtracks, but I would say Chrono Cross has the better of the two overall.

Rad-

Xenogears. Chrono Cross was pretty average imo.

Though I have to admit Xenogears has aged really, really badly. I tried playing it a year or so ago again... yikes.

legacyzero

Banned
Xenogears.

The game is near perfect, even with the weak second disc.

Chrono was just too hard to follow story-wise. The characters were uninteresting. The sound track and visuals were amazing, though.

Xenogears for sure. That said, while it does have an amazing OST, Chrono Cross has the better soundtrack (minus battle theme).

LOL Yep, those violins piercing ears. Boss theme was ok though

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Xengogears. Even with the lack of interactivity on disk 2, I still find the story and characters to be excellent.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Xenogears. The scope and ambition of Xenogears' story is just incredible. Easily the most epic JRPG ever made.

As for the weak second disc, the game is easily 50+ hours as it is. It would've been probably 80+ hours if everything on disc 2 were fully fleshed out. So it's not like there is any lack of game here.

Ducktail

Chrono.

Playing gears nowadays is an exercise of patience at best. The camera is ridiculously awful and the dialogues will put you to sleep in disc 2.

Corpekata

Banned
Xenogears. The scope and ambition of Xenogears' story is just incredible. Easily the most epic JRPG ever made.

As for the weak second disc, the game is easily 50+ hours as it is. It would've been probably 80+ hours if everything on disc 2 were fully fleshed out. So it's not like there is any lack of game here.

There's a lack of interesting game at times though. Give me a fleshed out second disc over half the minor party member stories that feel like total diversions (especially given how many of them basically barely do anything outside of their intro stories). Xenogears feels like a TV show that got a late notice they weren't getting renewed so we got stuck with a lot of the episodic content and rushed through the real meat of the story.

Shahed

Both are fantastic and among the best games I have ever played. They both also happen to have the two best video game soundtracks ever created

For me, I would choose Chrono Cross. I enjoyed it much more than Xenogears. So much so I never could complete Xenogears because I got tired of it.

Who

Banned
Chrono Cross is the only traditional jrpg (sans Pokemon) that I've ever beaten to completion. And I beat it thrice. One of my favorite games of all time.

Never played Xenogears.

Doing them in either order is fine, they're both great.

But If I were forced to choose, I'd say I found xenogears more memorable, so I'd go with that first.

Cleve

I thought you wrote xenogears vs chrono trigger at first, and man that would be a tough call.

But xenogears vs cross? Xenogears, hands down.

Breads

Banned
Both have similar roots and have a simularly rushed endings. CC's ending is not as bad unless you are a Chrono fan because then you may become furious as to how CT's plot holes are plugged up and how it's actually told to you. They are both similarly great experiances though and unlike CC there are no preconceived expectations to live up to in Xenogears so it's a great ride all the way through.

Xeno does suffer from having less pre-renderred backgrounds though. CC's BGs aged quite nicely and it has some of the best music in videogaming history but Xeno leaves a lot to be desired visually to some people. Extra patience may be required. Music is on point though - same composer for both games afterall.

They both have major budget cuts though. CC being a story about parallel worlds has you retreading the same content twice on both sides. It's forgivable within the narrative but it doesn't go un-noticed. As for Xenogears yeah - the second CD has some glaring issues. If you liked the game until this point it probably won't take away from your experiance, but yeah - it too does not go un-noticed.

Well. Until you realize that
Xenogears is only a fraction of a major story arc that will never be told in full because the series is deader than dead. It is part 5 of a 6 part series with no parts 1-4 or 6.

Xenogears by faaaaaaaaar. I recently played both for the first time a few months ago. Xenogears, even with all of it's shortcomings ended up being one of my favorite games of all time. I couldn't even finish Chrono Cross.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I had more fun playing Chrono Cross but Xenogears really is the better game...I know how stupid what I just typed is but that's my take lol.

Gears

Amazing art design, let down by terrible graphics. Great music that serves to enhance an ambitious and rewarding narrative among the absolute best in gaming. Decent gameplay, hampered by half baked mech battles and a broken random encounter system that lets you move around after a battle has been triggered, but before it actually starts.

For example, you will walk up to doors and not be able to go through, because you have triggered a fight and don't realize it. This won't be a major annoyance until Babel, where it will happen during forced platforming sections and the battle will load while you're in mid air, then you will fall after the fight.

Cross

Great art design, served well by gorgeous graphics. Unrivaled music that serves a unique and interesting story. Decent gameplay, hampered by a somewhat forced element based system. A follow up to Chrono Trigger that is more Earthsea than Lord of the Rings in approach. Meaning it is not a straight continuation, but more experimental.

Both are worth playing, but I think Cross holds up better in graphics and gameplay. However you may be more satisfied by Gears.

Top Bottom