• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xiaomi unveils first ever gaming mini PC: 'Mini Host'. $400 (discount on VR headsets) 64GB RAM, Ryzen 9, 3050ti, Windows11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pejo

It means so little to the average Joe because most of the world lost the war on surveillance to Big Tech nearly 20 years ago. Suddenly everyone cares more recently because of world events affecting them on a personal level and needing something to blame for it. Thus they will pull out their shiny new Samsung phone or iPhone to remind the rest of us how bad it is... like we didn't already know this for years on end. It's madness.

Unless you work directly in a high position for a government, bank, or military and own a separate phone for such matters, it will continue to not physically affect you in the slightest.

I'd rather not be that guy locked inside of his house every day with covered windows, stacked mail, VPNs, secure servers, and a blackberry phone thinking that men in suits will come knocking any minute because they're coming for my information. You'll just end up growing old and dying as that weird guy in the neighborhood that no one really interacted with because they thought you were insane, whose house will forever immortalized as a tiktok dare because they heard it's haunted and thought it would be fun to dance in front of it.
Holy hyperbole. There's quite a few levels between caring about data privacy and making informed purchasing decisions and becoming, ahem...

"that guy locked inside of his house every day with covered windows, stacked mail, VPNs, secure servers, and a blackberry phone thinking that men in suits will come knocking any minute because they're coming for my information. You'll just end up growing old and dying as that weird guy in the neighborhood that no one really interacted with because they thought you were insane, whose house will forever immortalized as a tiktok dare because they heard it's haunted and thought it would be fun to dance in front of it."

Jesus Christ my man, you ok?

Trilobit

I don't recall Chinese products using this strategy though, those companies usually try to undercut the competition. Xiaomi is known for putting out quality phones at affordable prices that the competition is usually $100-$300 above.

I don't think that Xiaomi will raise prices to "normal" competitor levels in the future, but neither do I think that they'll keep the line as cheap as it is now. Then again we don't know that much about the computer yet.

Personally I hope that this computer turns out to be amazing as I've been very satisfied with their phones and Roborocks.

Last edited:
Holy hyperbole. There's quite a few levels between caring about data privacy and making informed purchasing decisions and becoming, ahem...

"that guy locked inside of his house every day with covered windows, stacked mail, VPNs, secure servers, and a blackberry phone thinking that men in suits will come knocking any minute because they're coming for my information. You'll just end up growing old and dying as that weird guy in the neighborhood that no one really interacted with because they thought you were insane, whose house will forever immortalized as a tiktok dare because they heard it's haunted and thought it would be fun to dance in front of it."

Jesus Christ my man, you ok?
Yes. The reason I said that is because there's no actual middle ground with surveillance. Except for a very, very, very minor selection of devices, if you already own nearly any type of modern phone or laptop you've already lost. If you use any type of social media, you've lost. If you use a windows or mac device, you've lost. If you own a console, you've lost. You're currently losing by being on Neogaf. You go to any shopping center, you've lost. Your informed purchasing decisions are 'informed' simply because of better forms of marketing.

So at this point, you can either pretend that you haven't lost and treat another entity as a boogeyman, or not pretend and just accept the fact that your information is already being used for marketing purposes in some way shape or form. This weirdness of mock battles/shadow boxing with privacy is just plain odd to me, which is why I stated what you quoted. You're fighting something that can't lose because it already won long ago.

Something about that price isn't lining up or making sense. The rebate on the VR headset basically means they are giving these away for free, but with specs like 64 GB of DDR4 and a 3050 Ti dGPU included, that leaves the seeing red on the books.

This is one of the closest laptop equivalents from them, and it's priced at almost $1800:

icg17Jh.jpg

So either they want to give this PC away and bleed money, or you've got a source on the pricing for their new device who got it wrong. Or, you've accidentally conflated the rebate price on the VR headset with the standard MSRP of of their upcoming PC device.

Those are not bad specs, but absolutely no one is getting that type of performance at $400.

Something about that price isn't lining up or making sense. The rebate on the VR headset basically means they are giving these away for free, but with specs like 64 GB of DDR4 and a 3050 Ti dGPU included, that leaves the seeing red on the books.

This is one of the closest laptop equivalents from them, and it's priced at almost $1800:

icg17Jh.jpg

So either they want to give this PC away and bleed money, or you've got a source on the pricing for their new device who got it wrong. Or, you've accidentally conflated the rebate price on the VR headset with the standard MSRP of of their upcoming PC device.

Those are not bad specs, but absolutely no one is getting that type of performance at $400.

A user earlier pointed out similar specs on a slightly ore powerful laptop for below $700 on the last page.

I don't think (especially with what I assume is a laptop ti) that $400 is that cheap for the specs, I'm sure when the demo stream resumes there will be some cache included. But $400 isn't too far from the $600 something posted earlier for the MORE powerful laptop.

The biggest thing about this deal imo is the discount you get on Headsets with the purchase. A $1000 headset being $600 or $500 does make {CVR more accessible. That's the part I think they are bleeding money on because there's no way a company financially in turmoil every 10 minutes like HTC is on the receiving end of the deal. Xiaomi is probably using VR to help with adoption.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Xiaomi keeps winning. Their phones are top tier and they've carried that expertise to their computers. This is a really good NUC PC, suprisingly good specs and a competitive price. I hope it does well, i want to see what they make later down the line

tommib tommib whats so shocking :messenger_confused:
Yeah most Americans don't know about Xiaomi but I imported a Mi 11 ultra and its top of the line it bested Samsung and Apples offerings at the time.

//DEVIL//

looks at mobile specs.... looks at price.... I mean... it's an ok price if it's 400$ for all the parts in it. basically a functioning pc but...

First of all, the 3050ti mobile version is shit. I mean, the desktop version of that GPU is shit. let alone the laptop version. this is essentially a mid-range laptop with the screen at its best for 400$.... eh Ok I guess?

The 3050ti M version is about a 1070 GTX. give or take...

Again for 400$ as a starter pc / fortnight / mid-range gaming and old games? yeah, nice device.. for PC at FHD gaming.. but at 400$... thats the price of PS5 digital which is far superior to this ( - the pc part, focusing on gaming )

the case looks nice and I do have lots of respect and love for Xiaomi. their phones are superb.. too bad they do not work very well in Canada ( keeps on dropping signal due to fewer bands if you are in an area with not good signal in the first place and well.. no 5G support from Canada as well )

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, where's the info on those "discounts on VR"? They have a Xiaomi PC VR kit? You get it for less money if you buy their PC thing? Where is it? Ctrl + f "VR" or "Virtual" on that article linked brings up nothing.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I have am Asus laptop with those specs, close anyway.

AMD ryzen 7, 32GB DDR5, rtx 3050ti, 144hz, Win 11 and its not bad at all.

With DLSS you can play most everything ve 60. Not cyberpunk or GTA5.

Gamerguy84

I can't even edit my post because my phone browser is acting weird on this site for some reason.

But you probably couldn't buy that laptop here in the US right now under $900. Or somewhere around there.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
That price point sounds too good to be true. Even double that price sounds too good to be true.

marquimvfs

Isn't this what sometimes happens in the beginning when a tech firm wants to make it in a new market? They sell astounding tech for a super cheap price and then later on raise the prices as they've made a good name with tech enthusiasts. Like what happened with some smartphones. Oneplus and Poco comes to mind.
Poco is one of the Xiaomi brands. They selll enthusiasts level hardware.

LordOfChaos

That price isn't just cheap, it actively doesn't make sense. Even with 0 labor cost assigned, the parts cost alone can't be under 400. Maybe it's 400 for some minimum spec system with an IGP and a lot of this is upgrades?

Neo_GAF

Banned
Yeah most Americans don't know about Xiaomi but I imported a Mi 11 ultra and its top of the line it bested Samsung and Apples offerings at the time.
yup. same. i bought a xiaomi back then when the mi6 released. great phone for such a low price. i wanted to upgrade to mi12 when i saw the price of 1200€ i said fuck it and bought the iphone 13 pro for less money.
sad to see xiaomi now being more expensive than a stupid iphone.

my problem with xiaomi is, their shit is bloated with weird chinese apps and ads. cmon, i bought your devices, why is there an ad, when i just want to listen to music or open a PDF???

basically a no go. otherwise their back then ratio of price/hardware was amazing.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
yup. same. i bought a xiaomi back then when the mi6 released. great phone for such a low price. i wanted to upgrade to mi12 when i saw the price of 1200€ i said fuck it and bought the iphone 13 pro for less money.
sad to see xiaomi now being more expensive than a stupid iphone.

my problem with xiaomi is, their shit is bloated with weird chinese apps and ads. cmon, i bought your devices, why is there an ad, when i just want to listen to music or open a PDF???

basically a no go. otherwise their back then ratio of price/hardware was amazing.
My mi 11s ultra had no ads the bloatware I was able to remove.

20cent

Banned

icg17Jh.jpg

aliexpress is aimed for "westerners", taobao official xiaomi store sells this config, i9 + 3070ti for rmb 8800 (usd 1200)

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
With that price tag, I won't mind playing games while some Chinese guy watching. Maybe we can play It Takes Two together too.

Americans know better why we should scare from China, because they probably doing worse using their techs. Don't be scared guys, welcome to the club.

bbeach123

maybe the 400$ box is 5600h+16g ram + 3050 or sth .

5900hx+64g ram +3050ti 400$ ? no way .

Or amd and nividia have a lot of left over chips , A FCKING LOT .

Last edited:

midnightAI

A user earlier pointed out similar specs on a slightly ore powerful laptop for below $700 on the last page.

I don't think (especially with what I assume is a laptop ti) that $400 is that cheap for the specs, I'm sure when the demo stream resumes there will be some cache included. But $400 isn't too far from the $600 something posted earlier for the MORE powerful laptop.

The biggest thing about this deal imo is the discount you get on Headsets with the purchase. A $1000 headset being $600 or $500 does make {CVR more accessible. That's the part I think they are bleeding money on because there's no way a company financially in turmoil every 10 minutes like HTC is on the receiving end of the deal. Xiaomi is probably using VR to help with adoption.

How was that laptop more powerful? (presuming we are talking about the same laptop)
The laptop posted was $679.98, that is nowhere close to $400 (over 50% more expensive)
The laptop has a Ryzen 5 in it not a Ryzen 9
The laptop has just 8GB Ram, increasing it to just 16GB makes the price $799.95, but this PC 'supposedly' has 64GB Ram

It is VERY cheap for the specs, mobile or not, and they are supposedly offering a discount on another companies headset of more than the price of the PC? that makes zero sense

Last edited:

tommib

With that price tag, I won't mind playing games while some Chinese guy watching. Maybe we can play It Takes Two together too.

Americans know better why we should scare from China, because they probably doing worse using their techs. Don't be scared guys, welcome to the club.
The 400 is not the price tag. Is the discount you get when buying VR.

midnightAI

The 400 is not the price tag. Is the discount you get when buying VR.
That makes much more sense..

So if you buy a Vive headset and the PC costs $1400 (just an example), then you get the headset for $800 (ish) and the PC for $1000 ($400 saving)
Not a bad deal if you want to get it for VR, but I suppose it depends on how much the PC costs and if the RTX 3050ti is a mobile one or not (not if its to be used for VR I would think?)

$400 for the actual PC would be insane, I'd buy two. (actually, screw that, I'd buy shit loads and sell them for twice the price on amazon/ebay)

Last edited:

tommib

That makes much more sense..

So if you buy a Vive headset and the PC costs $1400 (just an example), then you get the headset for $800 (ish) and the PC for $1000 ($400 saving)
Not a bad deal if you want to get it for VR, but I suppose it depends on how much the PC costs and if the RTX 3050ti is a mobile one or not (not if its to be used for VR I would think?)

$400 for the actual PC would be insane, I'd buy two. (actually, screw that, I'd buy shit loads and sell them for twice the price on amazon/ebay)
It’s Eddie being Eddie.

marquimvfs

Pocophones aren't enthusiast grade. They sell affordable somewhat high compoments, but enthusiast level are the zens, blacksharks, nubias, or the folds
In the xiaomi ecosystem, they are. None of the brands you quoted belongs to Xiaomi.

Last edited:
only xiaomi product i own is a scooter and it's staying that way.

i was looking to get a new phone and there were a bunch of xiaomi recommendations. no thanks. if my data is going to be stolen then i want it done by some red blooded american mega corporation thank you very much!

DragonNCM

Am I only one here that reading 400$ off is for VR unit & not PC ?
There is no single % chance this will cost 400$.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom