• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED teases Trails in the Sky: The 3rd (?) on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aters

To be fair, this title is way smaller in dialogue to translate than any of the other games in the entire Trails part of Legend of Heroes, and it's really important in setting up some of the overarching narrative present in Zero, Azure, Cold Steel 1, 2 and 3.

All the Trails of games are closely connected for sure, but this one is arguably the least important one (we don't talk about Nayuta no Kiseki). I gave up on this one in the middle, and I have no problem playing the following games in the series. I just feel that those tiny bits of information are not worthy of the long grinding. It's nice to get another chance to see those beloved characters though. Some of them will probably never be seen again as the story moves its focus from Liberl.

The most recent one, Cold Steel 2, is held up as one of, if not, the best in the franchise by the people who've played it.

You gotta lower your expectation.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Isn't it kinda a good thing if we don't get the Evo versions? As far as I know, didn't they remove the original art altogether and replace it with stuff that wasn't as good?

Aeana

Isn't it kinda a good thing if we don't get the Evo versions? As far as I know, didn't they remove the original art altogether and replace it with stuff that wasn't as good?

The music is all also inferior*.

*Someone is going to respond to me and argue with me about this, but they're wrong and I'm right. Just getting this out there pre-emptively.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

*Someone is going to respond to me and argue with me about this, but they're wrong and I'm right. Just getting this out there pre-emptively.

Was there no toggle for the original tracks? I seem to recall hearing there was in either this or in Zero/Ao... but I could be mistaken.

jman2050

Having (attempted) to listen to the Evo soundtrack I agree completely. I don't even know what they were going for with some of these rearrangements, it's baffling.

But you're wrong! Evolutions music is be.....

Okay no, I'm done.

Also please XSEED. I need 3rd!

No more Carpe Fulgur?

Considering CF isn't currently working on any projects and they learned just as much, if not more than Xseed did about the issues involving SC, I'd expect them to work on 3rd to some extent, just not nearly as much as they did last time. I mean surely the guys at CF have been replaying the series lately to do more than just replay it for kicks.

Not that surprising to me, the real concern (for me anyway) is if the Crossbell games happen. Always figured TC would be a case of when and not if.

All that said GIVE IT TO ME PLEASE AND THANKS

Dio

Banned

Yes.

It also changed some sequences by removing certain sprites that completely ruined certain moments for me.

If you played the end of FC, remember the
sprite you see that you've never seen before from Joshua?
That sprite is the same old
smiling sprite as usual.
Stuff like that really took the wind out of the sails for me.

As for Estelle:

dpmRmn1.jpg

The new music is also awful in some cases and ruins the mood of the original:

Old, chill world exploration theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqAzKJIr5aQ

New weird attempt at sounding epic with overarrangement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JysIbQY6SPs

Fdkn

I don't care about versions or platforms, or even music.

I just want to be able to read the full story :_

18-Volt

Evolution games are never coming because of the VAs. Even if they remove the voices it just doesnt make sense dropping that amount of cash for a vita only release when they have a PC version to work with.

I don't understand, they say their Vita games perform well, why wouldn't they bring both? PC+Vita, English dub for both. Cold Steel dub was just fine, I'd be happy with something like that.

They still have potential releases like Tokyo Xanadu, Uppers, Net High and Luminous Arc, they will drop some cash for all those Vita titles.

Looking at the Sky was ruined for sure. But Fateful Confrontation got the worst treatment, losing its essential double-bass-pedal beat and background shredding. Not good in-game or for outside listening!

Was there no toggle for the original tracks? I seem to recall hearing there was in either this or in Zero/Ao... but I could be mistaken.
You can get the original music for FC/SC Evo as DLC, but then you have to buy it as DLC. lol

I don't understand, they say their Vita games perform well, why wouldn't they bring both? PC+Vita, English dub for both. Cold Steel dub was just fine, I'd be happy with something like that.

They still have potential releases like Tokyo Xanadu, Uppers, Net High and Luminous Arc, they will drop some cash for all those Vita titles.

Separate licensing agreements.

For all intents and purposes, XSEED has to negotiate with another company for Evo.

Because the Vita ports are done by companies other than Falcom and would require additional licensing.

Shizuka

I'd love to see these games on as many platforms as possible, but we know that may not be possible and I'll take whatever I can get.

Because the version on Vita isn't the same as the version on PC, so they both require a large amount of testing each, licenses are also different. Beyond that, Xseed has said time and time again that they can not use the original VAs for any Falcom games, which leads to a massive amount of voice work they'd have to redo when the sales very likely would not be worth it.

Dio

Banned
Because the version on Vita isn't the same as the version on PC, so they both require a large amount of testing each. Beyond that, Xseed has said time and time again that they can not use the original VAs for any Falcom games, which leads to a massive amount of voice work they'd have to redo when the sales very likely would not be worth it.

An interesting tidbit is that XSEED actually wanted to do full dubbing for Trails of Cold Steel, aka having 'full voice acting' when the original JP version had the semi-voiced status, but Falcom's programmers didn't wanna bother adding support for that. That's why Cold Steel is semi-voiced in English just like it is in Japanese.

Oh well.

18-Volt

Separate licensing agreements.

For all intents and purposes, XSEED has to negotiate with another company for Evo.

If they are really unable to bring Evo version, they should at least bring PS3/PSP versions. I'd love to be able to play this when it actually comes out in English.

desmax

Now that's something I can get behind. I'll be there, day 1.

Btw, can someone confirm something about the game
I remember seeing a picture of 3rd, back when Sen no Kiseki was announced, of a silhouette of 4 kids in some place; they had the definining caracteristics of the Sen cast, and the shillouete were the main colors of the respective characters (Hair colors, basically). People were speculating back then that those figures were the main characters from Sen.

Can't really find the figure now, but I was really amazed that a series would have teaser for events so far off.

Nyoro SF

An interesting tidbit is that XSEED actually wanted to do full dubbing for Trails of Cold Steel, aka having 'full voice acting' when the original JP version had the semi-voiced status, but Falcom's programmers didn't wanna bother adding support for that. That's why Cold Steel is semi-voiced in English just like it is in Japanese.

Oh well.

XSEED really does try to go above and beyond. Very customer-focused. That's why they need our support.

XSEED really does try to go above and beyond. Very customer-focused. That's why they need our support.

It's why I usually buy 2-3 copies of each of their games and then gift them to friends. In hopes that maybe, just maybe they will do the same to get this series some more loving.

If they are really unable to bring Evo version, they should at least bring PS3/PSP versions. I'd love to be able to play this when it actually comes out in English.

They've already said they cannot do the PSP version if they continue on with the series. PSP is not a platform you release new large scale translations for games on anymore, the sales just are not there. The same could be said of PS3 here soon.

Producer

It does suck that psp/vita only users will be left out of the last game. But a psp only game in the west probably isnt selling much, and big games like Trails doesnt help.

At the least Falcom games run on toasters.

18-Volt

It does suck that psp/vita only users will be left out of the last game. But a psp only game in the west probably isnt selling much, and big games like Trails doesnt help.

At the least Falcom games run on toasters.

Damn my Mac fanaticism! I still hope they'll decide to bring at least for PS3, because PC isn't a couple of hundred dollar game system to buy for just one game.

Games on Steamspy under 30k are volatile like that, they jump around between numbers that would paint a significantly different picture.

There's also the part where we don't know what Xseed needs from the game's sales, it's a niche publisher with a bunch of people internally pushing for more of the series.

I also wonder if Cold Steel has done well enough that they feel more committed to trying to bring over every game to help shore up the series' future here.

Vamphuntr

Is it for real or another one of those posts that they will apologize or damage control after?

Anyway I will buy it at a high price.

Dio

Banned
any PC can run this, and hell you could run it on a Mac somehow in the worst case scenario.

Yeah, this. FC was released 12 years ago, and SC 10 years ago. 3rd was released in 2007, sure, but all of the games prior to Cold Steel basically use the same engine and same model fidelity.

MaxDOL

I prefer handheld version so PC only is kinda sad for me.

Is the PSP version of Second Chapter on sale yet because I still have not buy that one.

kagamin

Damn my Mac fanaticism! I still hope they'll decide to bring at least for PS3, because PC isn't a couple of hundred dollar game system to buy for just one game.

First Chapter ran no problems on my Linux computer that uses 5+ year old components and no dedicated video card using Wine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom