• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED teases Trails in the Sky: The 3rd (?) on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How does this contradict anything I said? It's an ongoing series, nothing is going to be a "stopping point." And with the Cold Steel games being localized the series has continued on past SC in English anyway. I've already seen things in 3rd relevant to the first Cold Steel game.

I'm saying 3rd doesn't seem like game to "play for itself" when the entire purpose of the game seems to be providing details for other games.

Localizing Cold Steel kind of put XSEED's back against the wall regardless. CS alone is apparently okay (haven't played it yet), but it leads directly into CS2 which both requires knowledge from 3rd and ties in directly with the events from the Crossbell games. So they are at a point where leaving any game out is going to result in an incomplete experience.

I'm saying 3rd doesn't seem like game to "play for itself" when the entire purpose of the game seems to be providing details for other games.

Localizing Cold Steel kind of put XSEED's back against the wall regardless. CS alone is apparently okay (haven't played it yet), but it leads directly into CS2 which both requires knowledge from 3rd and ties in directly with the events from the Crossbell games. So they are at a point where leaving any game out is going to result in an incomplete experience.
To be honest I'd be skeptical of claims of knowledge being "required." An incomplete experience it may be, but that's not a good reason to stop bringing games over. And it's not a good argument against 3rd when they are already localizing games ahead of it.

That would be fantastic. Fingers crossed.

As for what it would mean for the Crossbell duology, I'd say it doesn't mean anything, except getting us one step closer. We already know Xseed and Falcom want to do them, the only question being whether the opportunity will arise.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't disagree, just saying they are at a stage where stopping at any point or skipping anything is problematic, until Falcom ends the series. That's regardless of whether or not this is 3rd or they do it at all. (I'm still skeptical because it makes no sense.)

I didn't think/expect Carpe Fulgur to have anything to do with the series after SC, but I'm not so sure since SpaceDrake dropped this little "tease" around 20 hours ago.

anderedna

Still need to finish up Cold Steel 1 but TitS TC would be glorious addition. Shame no more PSP[Vita] localization from XSEED.

Kinda reluctant to buy Steam version...
My home laptop is Core2Duo generation and home desktop is CoreDuo generation. Not sure if they could run this game. They still works for web browsing and watching anime, hence I don't feel like buying a new one yet.

3rd is the one I'm most interested in!

Though I'm not sure how the game handles the priest and nun, or how Xseed will translate/localize their dialogue. I hope they're Christian like. I don't know anything about them. Didn't think the game would ever come.

If 3rd really is coming over to NA, I guess I'll have to keep playing 2nd until completion. Kinda got fatigued from all the text, and I wasn't really enjoying the characters, so I stopped playing pretty early. I also made the huge mistake of picking hard mode. The battle system is way too slow for grinding. :(

Still need to finish up Cold Steel 1 but TitS TC would be glorious addition. Shame no more PSP[Vita] localization from XSEED.

Kinda reluctant to buy Steam version...
My home laptop is Core2Duo generation and home desktop is CoreDuo generation. Not sure if they could run this game. They still works for web browsing and watching anime, hence I don't feel like buying a new one yet.

Trails games run even on toasters. If it has 512 mb RAM then you should be good to go, I think.

Are these games playable on the vita? I don't own a PSP anymore and after playing Cold Steel I'd be very interested if part 3 comes out.

Are these games playable on the vita? I don't own a PSP anymore and after playing Cold Steel I'd be very interested if part 3 comes out.

Trails in the Sky and Trails in the Sky SC are available for Vita.

The 3rd won't be as XSEED said that they were done with PSP games after Trails in the Sky SC

I don't disagree, just saying they are at a stage where stopping at any point or skipping anything is problematic, until Falcom ends the series. That's regardless of whether or not this is 3rd or they do it at all. (I'm still skeptical because it makes no sense.)

I didn't think/expect Carpe Fulgur to have anything to do with the series after SC, but I'm not so sure since SpaceDrake dropped this little "tease" around 20 hours ago.

I think it's clear he's been dropping hints about something going on over the last few days when he's been bringing up GDC and how he wasn't going to go, then goes back on that by saying he's going and keeps talking about seeing "y'all" when one of his last tweets puts emphasis on "y'all" in regards to Xseed's tweet. I mean he's clearly talking to them about something when they were likely the ones that got him to go to GDC this year.

I mean I've read all the stories and interviews over the last year or so and I haven't seen anything that really suggests they wouldn't let him work on a game again, just that lessons were learned with the last release. Xseed doesn't exactly seem like the kind of company to hold a grudge against someone who really wants to help out, yet had problems that needed to be worked out which ended up affecting a release. Last I checked Carpe Fulgur isn't exactly working on too much these days, if they could help out at all with localizing these games, I'm sure they'd jump at the chance to. Just that things need to go differently this time around in regards to how the games are done.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It'll be interesting if they localize the Evolution version of TC since there's no release date for that game in Japan.

It'll be interesting if they localize the Evolution version of TC since there's no release date for that game in Japan.

They've already made it clear that it's a hard "no" on the Evo versions of any of the games. There's too many roadblocks in the way of getting any of them. Beyond that, the game hasn't even released in Japan yet, they wouldn't be dropping localization teases for something that hasn't even released over there.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

That would be interesting since it means they've negotiated the rights to versions they previously said they were beyond reach.

anderedna

Trails games run even on toasters. If it has 512 mb RAM then you should be good to go, I think.

Okay thanks. Hopefully by time the game release, I'll have a better PC.
Anyway, I'll totally buy the game, for support of other possible localization of Trails game.

yami4ct

XSEED if you hurt me, I swear.

I honestly can't believe The 3rd is coming, but man that tease is so obvious in that direction. If this means we also get the Crossbell series and Trails gets to live a full and complete life in the West, I will be the happiest JRPG fan on the planet and XSEED will get all the support I can launch in their direction.

Nyoro SF

Nice joke post

sv6OB0h.png

I'm not joking though

Eh why i thought SC did terribly on PC.
I guess my toaster laptop might be able to run it if true but id prefer to play it on the Vita.

XSEED have already said that SC was the last PSP game they would work on, it's not hard to figure out what that means.

And we don't know how badly it performed on PSN too.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I guess my toaster laptop might be able to run it if true but id prefer to play it on the Vita.

They outright said SC was their last PSP game.

They also said they were not going to release Pandora's Tower. Plans change, I'd say a PSP release is extremely unlikely given all it would involve (not just XSEED's effort, but Sony and Falcom's) but not completely 100% out of the question. Only like 99.9%.

yami4ct

The only numbers we have for SC are Steam Spy estimates, and while those are often good generalizations, it's possible SC on PC is selling more in other ways that we don't see. We also don't know what XSEED's sales expectations for that game are.

Doing a PSP release isn't as simple as putting a text file in a folder and zipping it up in a PSP executable. They'd likely have to get programmers from Falcom to break out PSP devkits to program and debug a PSP version for them, and Falcom probably doesn't want to commit the resources. They have the resources to do PC script implementations in house.

Odrion

Banned
Trails in the Sky: SC being somewhat of a bomb is sad but made perfect sense. It is, and was made very clear to people, to be be a game that you would only want to buy after you played and beat the lengthy Trails in the Sky game that came before it. It was a niche within a niche.

Would Trails in the Sky: Third be in the same vein, a game that can only be recommended to those who played and beat the previous two entries?

Trails in the Sky: SC being somewhat of a bomb is sad but made perfect sense. It is, and was made very clear to people, to be be a game that you would only want to buy after you played and beat the lengthy Trails in the Sky game that came before it. It was a niche within a niche.

Would Trails in the Sky: Third be in the same vein, a game that can only be recommended to those who played and beat the previous two entries?

Yes. It deals with the aftermath of what happened with the ending of SC and heavily expands on the story and role of one of the characters introduced in it.

It also provides exposition to a lot of events and characters and sets up the stage for future sequels.

yami4ct

It picks up and continues right from SC, but it's a sort of standalone thing as well. It'd spoil the events of SC, but isn't completely tied to them. It's sort of a bridge game between SC and the Crossbell games.

XSEED have already said that SC was the last PSP game they would work on, it's not hard to figure out what that means.

And we don't know how badly it performed on PSN too.

They outright said SC was their last PSP game.

They also said they were not going to release Pandora's Tower. Plans change, I'd say a PSP release is extremely unlikely given all it would involve (not just XSEED's effort, but Sony and Falcom's) but not completely 100% out of the question. Only like 99.9%.

The only numbers we have for SC are Steam Spy estimates, and while those are often good generalizations, it's possible SC on PCis selling more in other ways that we don't see. We also don't know what XSEED's sales expectations for that game are.

Doing a PSP release isn't as simple as putting a text file in a folder and zipping it up in a PSP executable. They'd likely have to get programmers from Falcom to break out PSP devkits to program and debug a PSP version for them, and Falcom probably doesn't want to commit the resources. They have the resources to do PC script implementations in house.

vader.jpg

Ill keep some hope till its confirmed.

Odrion

Banned
Yes. It deals with the aftermath of what happened with the ending of SC and heavily expands on the story and role of one of the characters introduced in it.

It also provides exposition to a lot of events and characters and sets up the stage for future sequels.

Well, I'm sure that all ten people who are qualified to play it are going to be happy. :V

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Yes. But it's not likely that 3rd is going to see the same drop off that SC did, since SC buyers thus far basically consist of the core fanbase. It hasn't had a significant sale (10% off is the steepest discount) and the sales figures line up with FC's completion percentage.

So 3rd probably wouldn't sell much worse. And SC still has room to sell more copies during sales and to more people who finish FC.

yami4ct

Yes. But it's not likely that 3rd is going to see the same drop off that SC did, since SC buyers thus far basically consist of the core fanbase. It hasn't had a significant sale (10% off is the steepest discount) and the sales figures line up with FC's completion percentage.

So 3rd probably wouldn't sell much worse. And SC still has room to sell more copies during sales and to more people who finish FC.

Yep. At this point, people who bought SC are probably hugely committed to the franchise. If XSEED were bringing it, they'd likely have quite reasonable exceptions of what it could sell.

The potential sales for Zero and Azure are bigger question marks, since they are completely separate things, but also still old PSP style.

3rd basically acts as a set up game for the lore that makes up the crossbell and erebonia arcs, and they can't go much further into Erebonia without addressing the events of Zero/Ao.

Which is why it will be addressed in the game, so that the series can continue to attract new fans without starting with fc.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. At this point, people who bought SC are probably hugely committed to the franchise. If XSEED were bringing it, they'd likely have quite reasonable exceptions of what it could sell.

The potential sales for Zero and Azure are bigger question marks, since they are completely separate things, but also still old PSP style.

Assuming this is 3rd, I'd guess the biggest hurdle for Crossbell is going to be whether there is a viable method of releasing them. I know XSEED can get by on low sales, but I'd have expected the sales of SC to be too low for a project of that scale. Maybe not, if they greenlit 3rd already? Or maybe it just defied all expectations and sold similarly or better on PSP. Or they started working on it before they saw SC started sluggish, but they also said they expected a slow start with a long tail...

Thoraxes

The music is all also inferior*.

*Someone is going to respond to me and argue with me about this, but they're wrong and I'm right. Just getting this out there pre-emptively.
Most of (Evo) music remixes weren't bad to me (the ones that more or less seemed to stay much closer to the source), but (Evo) SC's just ruined everything. It was bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom