• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED teases Trails in the Sky: The 3rd (?) on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Numbers are pretty terrible if they are thinking about releasing 3rd. Their potential audience is 20k people on PC out of whom probably 20-25% at best finished the game.

PSN is even trickier proposition considering it's a PSP game in 2016 or even 2017. This makes no business sense whatsoever. Mind you I would love to play 3rd and then the follow up duology but the audience for them is minuscule at best.
I know, I always thought 3rd was relatively unlikely at this point. But the tease can't be anything else really

And the audience for the Crossbell games has nothing to do with SCs or 3rds sales.

Erheller

Really, there were so many things that happens to SC that it's hard to say that any one thing delayed it more than another.

I will agree that further releases of any series on the PSP are extraordinarily unlikely, though. If 3rd is coming, there's still a remote possibility, I suppose, if Sony wants to play ball, but Crossbell would be a PC-only enterprise barring a PS4 Kai version, which would be sweet as hell but hasn't been remotely announced. And I really, really, would not get your hopes up for any possible 3rd release on the PSP.

And just to put it completely to bed right now: this tease is as much a surprise to me as anyone. At least as of the last time I spoke to XSEED about it, a collaboration on further projects in the "Trails backlog" seemed extraordinarily unlikely due to a variety of factors. I don't mind admitting publicly that I find this somewhat disappointing, as I really rather like Trails to Zero and Trails to Azure, and not only did I still enjoy working on Trails in the Sky SC and the Sky cast (yes, despite everything you may have read), but I've always heard a lot of praise from Trails veterans for "my" Kevin (I did do very nearly all his dialogue in Sky SC) and I'd certainly like to contribute to the continuation of his story. That said, XSEED is Falcom's primary English-language localization and publishing partner, the decision for who they bring on to work on the Trails franchise is theirs alone, and I respect their judgment. They want to do right by those games, and their fans, and if they feel CF isn't a part of that, then... I'm saddened, but so be it.

So: Carpe Fulgur isn't working on Sky 3rd or any other Trails-related project in any fashion at the moment, and I'm looking forward to seeing what this is about as much as anyone.

Not going to lie, I'm a little disappointed too. I really liked the localization of most of the main characters in SC more than in FC, especially for Estelle and Kevin.

I don't know if this has been posted anywhere on GAF yet, but FC and SC appear to both be on sale on the NA PS Store. The sale began today and runs through the 18th.

Einhander

I want to echo others in praising Kevin's translated dialogue. SpaceDrake, kudos to your hard work involved in that. I hope Carpe Fulgar gets to work on The 3rd if it is greenlit.

18-Volt

Would be disappointed for this being PC only, but I think I'd get over it just for having the game in the West finally, lol.

Still such a shame the Vita versions can't get licenced.

Wonder what circumstances have led to this being a possibility.

I still think that people here are a little exaggerating. VA problem could easily be solved with English dub or not having VA at all. It's just XSEED don't want to go through all the effort licensing the game from Kadokawa. I don't think that's that hard though, Kadokawa is very open to western publishers and distributors, they even published one game in west themselves (Lollipop Chainsaw).

Both Trails games are on sale right now on US PSN, it'd be a jerk move to get PS fans excited with this and announce game only for PC (not even for Mac). I expect a surprise announcement from XSEED & Kadokawa.

I still think that people here are a little exaggerating. VA problem could easily be solved with English dub or not having VA at all. It's just XSEED don't want to go through all the effort licensing the game from Kadokawa. I don't think that's that hard though, Kadokawa is very open to western publishers and distributors, they even published one game in west themselves (Lollipop Chainsaw).

Both Trails games are on sale right now on US PSN, it'd be a jerk move to get PS fans excited with this and announce game only for PC (not even for Mac). I expect a surprise announcement from XSEED & Kadokawa.

When XSEED says it's impossible I'm pretty sure it's impossible. Things can change, but for all we know the Evo versions are not coming. Lots of assumptions on your part.

And in general, I think people are overstating the importance of the platforms. Yeah I have preferences too, but a PC only release for 3rd would not be the end of the world.

I still think that people here are a little exaggerating. VA problem could easily be solved with English dub or not having VA at all. It's just XSEED don't want to go through all the effort licensing the game from Kadokawa. I don't think that's that hard though, Kadokawa is very open to western publishers and distributors.

Do you actually have proof that Kadokawa is easy to work with, or are you just pulling that out of thin air?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
IIRC they've done that with their picture teases.

Those usually go through a weekend or a few days. Have they posted one and not followed up at all shortly after? I think they might have done one or more and not revealed everything on it, but I don't think they have dropped one and then revealed nothing.

Their new year teases often have a very long wait before anything is officially announced.

Although not really the same situation.

Yeah, that might have happened once now that you mention it.

Tohsaka

The 3rd EVO isn't even out in Japan yet, so I really doubt it. It's not just Kadokawa that's the problem, either; chara-ani handles the voice over work.

And I think you are trivializing it. Anytime you talk about not including Japanese VA, a lot of people get upset by that, and adding an English dub for a title you are going to get marginal sales from, if you want it to be a quality dub, isn't smart from a business perspective. Not to mention that you are splitting the pie in more pieces for more companies involved. Instead of paying only Falcom, you are now paying other companies as well to license it. And if you want to include the original VA, that is Chara-Ani on top of Kadokowa already.

Sure it could happen, the stars could align, but until XSEED says otherwise, I am not gonna hold my breath. It is probably not gonna happen.

The 3rd EVO isn't even out in Japan yet, so I really doubt it. It's not just Kadokawa that's the problem, either; chara-ani handles the voice over work.

beaten :(

I don't think XSEED ever teases something on Twitter and leaves people hanging for months. We will probably hear something today or Monday.

IIRC in recent memory, if they have tweeted a tease like that on a thursday, they usually confirm on Friday. My memory could be bad though, I feel like they did that with SC.

XSEEDs teases are usually in riddles that are WAY less obvious than this one

They can't just let that tweet hanging over the weekend ;_;

mankoto

FC on PSP was the best blind buy I've ever done. Bought it again on PC, bought SC on both PSP and PC and bought Cold Steel day one. Keep them coming!

18-Volt

Sure it could happen, the stars could align, but until XSEED says otherwise, I am not gonna hold my breath. It is probably not gonna happen.

There's still hope for PS3 version though, which was a direct HD port of PSP version. No Kadokawa or VA companies involved.

There's still hope for PS3 version though, which was a direct HD port of PSP version. No Kadokawa or VA companies involved.

If it does, that will take special approval from SCEA since they don't allow games without Trophy support, and they would likely need to bring all 3. I would be super excited about this if it happens, but again I won't hold my breath.

FC on PSP was the best blind buy I've ever done. Bought it again on PC, bought SC on both PSP and PC and bought Cold Steel day one. Keep them coming!

I agree! I bought the LE from Gamestop on a whim, without any prior knowledge about it (to be fair I was a little familiar with Falcom, and had at least heard of XSEED). Probably my best blind purchase ever.

Tohsaka

They can't do the PS3 versions, because they don't have trophies which are a requirement in the west. They're literally just upscaled PSP games and not "real" PS3 games, which is why we never got any of those PSP remasters like the Kiseki trilogy or Monster Hunter, K-ON! etc.

These games are a trilogy right? If this is an announcement of the third game I might just get back into the first one and pick up the second when it goes on sale on Steam.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Sony is apparently the problem there. SCEA seems to have some weird dislike of PSP remasters, and the Kai games don't have trophies so they don't meet SCEA guidelines. At minimum, Falcom would have to add trophies during localization, and who knows if there are other issues.

These games are a trilogy right? If this is an announcement of the third game I might just get back into the first one and pick up the second when it goes on sale on Steam.

Not really. Estelle and Joshua's story ends with the second game. 3rd cleans up some details, but then opens up even more questions that lead into the rest of the series.

The fuck is happening lol. Don't think NISA have ever worked With Ghostlight before?

Maybe we're getting Tits 3 and Eternal Punishment on PSN :p

Star-Trek.gif

The fuck is happening lol. Don't think NISA have ever worked With Ghostlight before?

Maybe we're getting Tits 3 and Eternal Punishment on PSN :p

I think it started by NISA selling Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS). That one is by Ghostlight and the sequel is by NISA themselves, and they probably wanted both easily accessible on the same store. It's all very recent though.

Sales on steam are planned well in advance so I don't think it's related.

Yeah, sales on all major PC stores and on PSN in TWO regions are all a total coincidence. And that tweet is probably unrelated as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom