• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xsx and xss confirmed to be Wifi 5

Blond

Banned
I get that Wifi 6 is faster but who is honestly going to jump on a brand new router for faster speeds that may or may not even be beneficial to you on a personal level because most of the world doesn't even have internet fast enough to take advantage of it. I have 300/100 fiber connection and even plugged in directly PSN doesn't even take full advantage of that so what's the big deal exactly?

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
You can get 1Gbps and 10Gbps switches and network routers. There's a reason we dont have them. It might be nice in multi user/multi device households but then you'd need to have an isp switching modem that was capable or buy an additional router to the modem. Wires to save wires.

They're banking on it being common in about five years. I highly soubt it will be will be worth it except for a tiny portion of players.

Senua

Gold Member
Yall should be thankful that MS bothered to add Wifi, do you guys remember 360 Arcade edition (no wifi, no HDD )

As for Playstation, it always offered cutting edge components.
They also charged you out the arse for them. Neither company is your friend :p

Aceofspades

Banned
Honestly what's the big deal? I get that Wifi 6 is faster but who is honestly going to jump on a brand new router for faster speeds that may or may not even be beneficial to you on a personal level because most of the world doesn't even have internet fast enough to take advantage of it. I have 300/100 fiber connection and even plugged in directly PSN doesn't even take full advantage of that so what's the big deal exactly?

Consoles are a 7 years investment. Come back in 2025 and tell me you don't own wifi 6 router.

Seketh

Neo Member
Theoretically yes. Practically, not likely. Won’t matter for next-gen consoles, at all.

No they decided to make it worse than 5, It's really odd because usually they get better on each one. Weird one for sure.

Unfortunely, Wi-Fi 6 technologies like OFDMA (which can actually reduce latency) are still not well implemented, no routers out there support the new improvements properly.

Mostly because Wi-Fi 6 is still a draft specification, that is, not final. Having a Wi-Fi 6 adapter and router now only ensures you an higher bandwith. But in ideal conditions even with AC you can already saturate a GB internet connection.

CamHostage

Wifi 6 is a big deal. I hate wires strewn about all over.

Well, you could always put a WiFi 6 (or whatever's next) Access Point next to your console and get whatever WiFi you want.

But having it built into the console will allow the OS to potentially do some cool things you'd want to do. Like, Remote Play with a tablet (or Vita...RIP/Long Live Vita) would benefit from the best WiFi in the box possible, and there are some of us even asking if WiFI VR might be possible with PS5. (Technically, yes, kind of; Will they do it? Unsure...)

Does WiFi 6 actually offer faster speed than a wired connection now?

Heh, well, you can get lost in this thread for more on that question...

Aceofspades

Banned
They also charged you out the arse for them. Neither company is your friend :p
And I will happily pay for quality stuff, Playstation never disappoint in this regard.

Also , cmon consoles are among the cheapest electronics you can have today, in worst case scenario a $600 device!! for 7 years investment.

People change $1500 phones every 2 years.

Banned
Yall should be thankful that MS bothered to add Wifi, do you guys remember 360 Arcade edition (no wifi, no HDD )

As for Playstation, it always offered cutting edge components.

yes yes, I know, but I hate incorrect/incomplete info like this... so sorry for the following:

I don't know why you single out the Arcade here, makes no sense.
the 360 Arcade was simply 1 of many SKUs of the FAT Xbox 360.
at launch there were the Xbox 360 (often referred to as Xbox 360 Premium) and the Xbox 360 Core. the only difference in specs was the missing 20GB HDD in the Core package.

the Arcade was a way later bundle that came with a Memory Card and a disc with a bunch of XBLA games and demos on it, but again no HDD.

then there was the 360 Elite, which has a 120GB HDD as compared to the Premium's 20GB. (it also was the first version that had HDMI, but other versions soon also got upgraded with it)

why am I listing all of these? because none of them had built-in WiFi, all of them needed the WiFi dongle to work over wifi. Not a single Fat 360 had wifi, that was a new feature in the Slim model

the Elite came with it in some bundles tho.

.........again, sorry but that post bothered me... singling out the Arcade here was just super weird to me, I couldn't resist

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
IlX8ShD.png

U sed 60% smoler, bat iz 56.6% smoler! 4.25:9.8*100 = 43.33%
Eet wont feet! nao, biicos of de 3.4%! No bai Microsoft!

Bro Wifi6 is a tremendous improvement over Wifi5.

If you don't know what you are talking about please stop making shit posts.
If you have any clue about why wired is better than wireless, you wouldn't even quote me. But since you did, go ahead and tell us why wifi 6 is better than wired, even on a router that isn't wifi 6 compatible. I'll be here waiting. Ready for your shitshow.

Top Bottom