• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSX Physical releases - How will they work?

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
I’m curious if any insiders can give info on how Xbox Series X titles will be released and packaged? Some games will be cross generational, some will not. Some 3rd party releases may be exclusive to XSX. How’s one to actually know?

This seems like it’s going to confuse the heck out of consumers. Will the case colors be different? Will they say Series X on the clamshell even though a series indicates that there will be more than just the “Series X”?

Will physical retail copies just have barebones Xbox One assets on the disc, and One X or XSX assets will be DLC patches? Maybe the discs will have the Full XSX content and will only partially installed on older hardware?

Will the discs just have nothing but a license on them with all game data to be downloaded?

For the gamers that buy physical and only install & play offline, will they too get the full benefits of XSX performance if they install from a disc while still offline?

Inquiring minds wish to know.

Last edited:

HolyTruth

Banned
They will have everything on one disc. If not everything can fit into the disc, you will download the rest as you play.
Done.

JAMMA

They will have everything on one disc. If not everything can fit into the disc, you will download the rest as you play.
Done.
Not done. Stop being a weirdo and please let some insiders in the know answer the question.

If the XSX assets are not available on disc it matters to many gamers, whether servicemen playing while deployed or collectors that want to install games and play them in the future with nothing but a disc.

Stop being anti-consumer, you’re not helping anyone. Everyone has a right to know exactly what they’re buying.

Shin

Banned
Available from other vendors as well and in different sizes.
Either it will be a single 100GB disc or multiple 25GB's (25GB single, 50GB double side, the latter is probably cheaper).
Worrying about something that's been available for years now, yet never bothered to care for it - knowledge is power.

Blu-ray_200GB.png

Not done. Stop being a weirdo and please let some insiders in the know answer the question.
If the XSX assets are not available on disc it matters to many gamers, whether servicemen playing while deployed or collectors that want to install games and play them in the future with nothing but a disc.
Stop being anti-consumer, you’re not helping anyone. Everyone has a right to know exactly what they’re buying.
While I don't doubt there are people who work in the industry here on GAF, I think you're not gonna get your answer from them.
They're likely under NDA's and if they leaked something here they'd probably get fired.
Just my 2 cents. But I do hope you get your answer man.

JAMMA

While I don't doubt there are people who work in the industry here on GAF, I think you're not gonna get your answer from them.
They're likely under NDA's and if they leaked something here they'd probably get fired.
Just my 2 cents. But I do hope you get your answer man.
TBH I figured after the Don Mattrick fiasco that they’d welcome seeing in advance how fans react to something as simple as the physical media installs for XSX.

Hindsight is 20/20

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
We live in a digital age, you're going to have to download some chunks of data one way or the other.
Be it first day patches, enhancement, QoL patches, bug fixes, etc etc.

JAMMA

We live in a digital age, you're going to have to download some chunks of data one way or the other.
Be it first day patches, enhancement, QoL patches, bug fixes, etc etc.
There’s always going to be updates, but I don’t think that I’m in an extreme minority in wondering how well one can play day one with physical discs while offline.

I think nearly every collector expects their game to play offline as a near complete & playable game before day one patches.

I do desire to know if my game disc + offline hardware will play the game, and of course to what extent.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

There’s always going to be updates, but I don’t think that I’m in an extreme minority in wondering how well one can play day one with physical discs while offline.

I think nearly every collector expects their game to play offline as a near complete & playable game before day one patches.

I do desire to know if my game disc + offline hardware will play the game, and of course to what extent.
I'm on that boat. I never buy any game that have a mandatory day 1 patch. I'm not interested on the XSX, but i hope the PS5 have disks containing the full game

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Quezacolt Quezacolt the irony of what you just said is incredible. I mean, with that icon, you are making my anus cry tears of laughter. Imagine a world where Bethesda couldn’t release a day one patch, much less patch their game 🤣

Also, sorry kids but you Could have 20tb disks, and you will STILL not get the full game on day one. It’s not about file size anymore, it’s about going gold without actually being gold.

Quezacolt

Quezacolt Quezacolt the irony of what you just said is incredible. I mean, with that icon, you are making my anus cry tears of laughter. Imagine a world where Bethesda couldn’t release a day one patch, much less patch their game 🤣
Im happy that you found the pic funny, it's why i use it. Watching Todd's face makes my day.

And i know that it's not about the size of the disks. I hate that the industry went this route, selling us unfinished stuff, and how many seem to accept it like it's nothing.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I think a middle ground is needed to be fair.

Back in the day games released and if it was broke it was either a mass recall or a fuck you type deal.

These days games can release broke because you can just patch them.

Less haste more speed, as my Nan would say... More time in the oven to get a product out without a day one patch, but still offer patches to further improve things. Day one patches made development get a bit lazy for some studios.

cireza

My guess is that games will be pretty different depending on the console, different enough so that people take the easy decision out being "make two versions and call it a day".

So my guess is that we will be seeing Xbox Series X game boxes. If they can put both Series X + One on one disc, then maybe some boxes will work for both consoles. Otherwise, you will get the data of the version you bought, but a license for downloading the other version. Pretty sure this is already what is happening for some repackaged Xbox 360 games by the way.

Alx

I never checked it through since my consoles are always online, but didn't many major games this gen have a "day one patch" that was required to play them ? I think the "install and play offline" ship has sailed, it's not something you should expect any more (which is ironic, since it was one of the huge concerns people had at the launch of the gen, but it still happened sneakily with few people complaining).
Now the constructors will probably want to avoid all the 2013 drama and make sure the launch games are playable out of the box, but I wouldn't take it as a general rule. It's very probable that most discs in the near future will basically only be used as an activation key.

JAMMA

• Smart Delivery: This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you’re playing on. We’re making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console you choose to play on. This technology is available for all developers and publishers, and they can choose to use it for titles that will be release on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.

Top Bottom