• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahoo previews Wii...

Vieo

http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/samiljan/13

Searched but found nothing. Lock if old! =P

It's on their front page now.

Bottom Line (for now)

At $250, the Wii isn't cheap, but it's still a bargain compared to the $599 PlayStation 3 and the $399 Xbox 360 Premium system. And unlike Sony, which is only making 400,000 PS3s available at launch, Nintendo says it will ship four million Wii units by December 31st. So it's likely you'll actually be able to get one. But it's also likely that you'll be just as able to get an Xbox 360 with its more than 100 available titles by year's end. For now, only one thing's for sure: Until Sony gives us a compelling reason to buy the PS3 beyond it being an incredibly affordable Blu-ray disc player, either of these other choices is a winner.

This guy couldn't even find out if Wii could output to 480p, and he also called it expensive! Also, he's the first person I've seen complain about shoulder pains from playing Wii. Worst write up ever.

vasuba

Banned
DMczaf said:
THIS MAN DOES NOT HAVE THE SAME OPINION AS ME!! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!

its more that this man is reviewing a system he doesnt have a clue on. 480p has been known since forever so why does he need to post making it seem like nintendo is avoiding answering his question etc.

Reviwers need to at least have a concept of the system before they make reviews.

Vieo

I think the fact that this guy doesn't seem to know a lot about Wii is good. It means he's most likely an unbiased casual gamer and the article comes from that perspective. Though, if OTHER casual gamers are thinking like him, I think Sony is going to have a major problem.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
HD or not HD: I couldn't find anyone at Nintendo to give me a straight answer on whether games would be in 480p (same quality as DVDs) or 720p (HD-quality). The component video output—there's no state-of-the-art HDMI—indicates it could go either way. 480p would be nice to view pictures and videos stored on an SD card (which is what is offered on the Wii Photo Channel). And though games might look nice on a TV up to, say 50 inches, Wii titles might suffer if projected onto a wall in 100 inches or on a fat 65-inch rear-projection set.

That's pretty basic knowledge there that he's lacking...this guy's a tech writer?
Thin launch lineup: Nintendo announced more than 40 first- and third-party titles due out by March 31st, but it was not specific about exactly how many titles would be out at launch. If it's games you want, you're better off with an Xbox 360.

Isn't the launch lineup pretty much confirmed? And it's 30 games by the end of the year, right out of Reggie's mouth from the ABC interview.

Boy, do my arms hurt: Whether "casting" a fishing rod to catch virtual bass in Zelda or tossing a bowling ball in Wii Sports, I nearly dislocated my shoulder using the wireless controller. Shoulder pain may be the gamers' new carpal tunnel syndrome as far as Wii's motion-based gameplay is concerned.

Real bowling and fishing can dislocate your shoulder. Good to know.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
an article written by a retard.

nearly dislocated his shoulder? wtf is wrong with this cretin? he should be shot just for being a stupid shit.

Jeff-DSA

The whole thing reeks of having been copied from another site's impressions, but we'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Click the link to see it all. (Sorry if old)

http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/samiljan/13

Hasn't this been answered many times before?

HD or not HD: I couldn't find anyone at Nintendo to give me a straight answer on whether games would be in 480p (same quality as DVDs) or 720p (HD-quality). The component video output—there's no state-of-the-art HDMI—indicates it could go either way. 480p would be nice to view pictures and videos stored on an SD card (which is what is offered on the Wii Photo Channel). And though games might look nice on a TV up to, say 50 inches, Wii titles might suffer if projected onto a wall in 100 inches or on a fat 65-inch rear-projection set.

Since when has a console ever launched with as many games as another console that's been out for over a year?

Thin launch lineup: Nintendo announced more than 40 first- and third-party titles due out by March 31st, but it was not specific about exactly how many titles would be out at launch. If it's games you want, you're better off with an Xbox 360.

Hey Yahoo!, dont' send a spaz next time...

Boy, do my arms hurt: Whether "casting" a fishing rod to catch virtual bass in Zelda or tossing a bowling ball in Wii Sports, I nearly dislocated my shoulder using the wireless controller. Shoulder pain may be the gamers' new carpal tunnel syndrome as far as Wii's motion-based gameplay is concerned.

"Boy, do my arms hurt: Whether "casting" a fishing rod to catch virtual bass in Zelda or tossing a bowling ball in Wii Sports, I nearly dislocated my shoulder using the wireless controller. Next gen? Not if you are made of paper mache, twigs and hyperbole! Better luck next time, Nintendo."

etiolate

Banned
How to approach this according to console interest:

Nintendo
Pro: It's PR. They compliment the controlller and Wii/Mii Channel services.
Con: Doesn't like price. He done hurt his arm!
Unseen advantage: Ignorance of article might have people read it and think there is a possibility the Wii is HD.

Sony
Pro: Your system was dissed, but it was dissed by a guy who doesn't know if the Wii is HD or not.
Con: Just about every time he mentioned PS3.
Unseen Advantage: Hey you can slam the comments page with neurotic snively elitism!

Microsoft
Pro: The article praises your system even though it isn't even about your system
Con: You were praised by somene completely clueless.
Unseen Advantage: I guess you guys got 100s of great games!

Whether "casting" a fishing rod to catch virtual bass in Zelda or tossing a bowling ball in Wii Sports, I nearly dislocated my shoulder using the wireless controller.
What the hell? The remote weighs practically nothing. I've gone bowling for real MANY times in my life, and I don't remember ever feeling as though I had dislocated my shoulder (what does it mean to "nearly" dislocate your shoulder anyway? it's a little bit dislocated...?), and that's with a big ass dozen pound bowling ball. Also, why would your shoulder be getting that much action? Didn't it occur to him to try using less exaggerated motions, or is he trying to be cast in a Nintendo marketing campaign?

And not getting an answer about 480p or 720p??? He couldn't have gone to ANY prominent gaming website and done three seconds of searching?

guise

yahOOOOOOO

E-40Image.jpg

The menus look pretty damn snazzy

vasuba

Banned
ive gone bowling for like 5 hour periods on drunken friday nights with friends and never got close to hurting my arm. sure it got tired but come on now dislocating shoulder? LOL this "tech wiz" cracks me up

Thread of the week.

I love these "tech guys" doesn't even understand basic things. Like...I don't even know what to say lol. Some quotes from the blog:

"Weird I've been following PS3, but just found out about this...the kunchuck control could be extremely cool or a friggin nightmare. I alway loved the original nintendo...maybe I'll buy this instead of the PS3. Although, the 480p factor is a HUGE problem! I want my gaming counsel to be good for at least 4 years to come."

"This guy is video game retarded. The starting line up and game play is amazing. Plus the release date is nov. 19th not Dec. 31. The 360 obviously has more games becuase it has been out for a year but it didn't have 30 on luanch day."

"Not a bad review for someone that has no clue about videogames."

"Does he even know what he is talking about?? First of all the Wii is lauching with the best initial game line up in console history! Secondly you dont need to move youre arm a lot, even if you are playing a baseball game the controll is sensitive enough that it will detect a small motion. Lastly Nintendo has been stating for the past year that this console is not HD capable but everything will run in 480p which is good enough since the majority of the population doesnt own HD tv's yet."

Bahahaha! I love Fridays!

Top Bottom