• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yahoo's Marissa Mayer gets praise from Justice Dept for leadership during hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Yahoo’s Marissa Mayer Gets Reprieve From Hacking Criticism - The Wall Street Journal
https://apple.news/AnMzDMX5FTFmrhyxWu_dbsA

Federal officials this week heaped praise on Yahoo Inc. Chief Executive Marissa Mayer for the company’s cooperation in an investigation of the hacking of hundreds of millions of the site’s accounts.

It was rare recognition for Ms. Mayer, for whom each additional disclosure about the 2014 security breach since she made it public last September has magnified its scope and implications.

The Justice Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation on Wednesday accused the Russian government of facilitating the attack—and said that the hackers were able to use the information they stole until last December, more than two years after the initial breach occurred.

FBI San Francisco Division Special Agent in Charge Jack Bennett on Wednesday praised Ms. Mayer’s “great leadership and courage while under intense pressure from many entities.”

Federal officials didn’t fault Yahoo for the attack, and instead positioned Yahoo as a “victim” in an “unfair fight” against state-sponsored hackers.
Yahoo didn’t respond to a request for comment Thursday.

The Yahoo case provided the Justice Department a clear example to illustrate the benefits to companies of cooperating with law enforcement in investigating cyberbreaches. The government’s reaction this week shows it won’t fault the company itself for the breach, said officials and cybersecurity experts.

“You’d be amazed by the number of companies whose first instinct is to duck and cover,” said Michael Sulmeyer, director of the Cyber Security Project at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Am I misremembering or did Yahoo hide the breech from consumers for a super long time?

I may be conflating Yahoo with any number of other hacks.

NYR

Am I misremembering or did Yahoo hide the breech from consumers for a super long time?

I may be conflating Yahoo with any number of other hacks.
Kind of. But if there was an active FBI investigation, maybe they asked to keep it quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom