• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 4 Announcement Trailer + Boxart SEGA HAS LEARNED

Ronin

Funny this comes out right when I jump back into Ryu 4. Put it down for a while but now that I'm back with it, I forgot how awesome it is.

Sweet, but Sega should shit out sequels like that. I have yet to finish 3, and there is already number 4 comming, plus a PSP game, and they're supposed to show another one at TGS.

Anyway, what's the consensus on Yakuza 4? Best game of the series? Useless sequel?

Xater

RockmanWhore said:
Sweet, but Sega should shit out sequels like that. I have yet to finish 3, and there is already number 4 comming, plus a PSP game, and they're supposed to show another one at TGS.

Anyway, what's the consensus on Yakuza 4? Best game of the series? Useless sequel?

Best might still be 2, but it's supposed to be way better than 3.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RockmanWhore said:

RGG4, to me, was the best in the series. Truly awesome, great cast of characters, and a real breath of fresh air for people tired of playing as Kazuma.

The inclusion of all new fighting styles alone make it worth it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Akiyama is fucking awesome :lol

daebo

Stupid/kind of off topic question. Do you need to have played 1 or 2 to play Yakuza 3? The trailer looked pretty good and I want to know if I can play 3 without any back story?

daebo said:
Stupid/kind of off topic question. Do you need to have played 1 or 2 to play Yakuza 3? The trailer looked pretty good and I want to know if I can play 3 without any back story?

In the very beginning of Y3 you can choose to watch scenes from both of the first games.
Really though I never played the first two games(strike that I put a few hours into part 2) and even skipped the scenes from them when I started Y3 and it didn't really matter.

It might help with sorting out the deluge of names the game hits you with in the first five minutes though.

BeeDog

thetrin said:
RGG4, to me, was the best in the series. Truly awesome, great cast of characters, and a real breath of fresh air for people tired of playing as Kazuma.

The inclusion of all new fighting styles alone make it worth it.

Aside from new fighting styles, in what ways does Yakuza 4 differ from the 3rd game? Yakuza 3 is the only one I've played, and I like it, but if Y4 is too similar, I will probably skip this one.

thetrin

BeeDog said:
Aside from new fighting styles, in what ways does Yakuza 4 differ from the 3rd game? Yakuza 3 is the only one I've played, and I like it, but if Y4 is too similar, I will probably skip this one.

Well, the styles are split up by character. You play as four characters that start off in four different places. The game is broken up into 4 chapters, and it tells each of their stories individually, before converging into a single finale.

Gameplay wise, each character is given a few unique things (the detective can put people in holds and either break limbs, or handcuff targets, rendering them immobile, for instance). While Kazuma is in the game, the story really isn't about him, and the story treats him as the "wise protagonist turned side character".

I actually wasn't a big fan of RGG3 (I found it too derivative, and not as big of a leap as Kenzan), but RGG4 brought me back to the series. Absolutely loved it.

daebo

PepsimanVsJoe said:
In the very beginning of Y3 you can choose to watch scenes from both of the first games.
Really though I never played the first two games(strike that I put a few hours into part 2) and even skipped the scenes from them when I started Y3 and it didn't really matter.

It might help with sorting out the deluge of names the game hits you with in the first five minutes though.

sweet, thanks. I think I might go pick it up this weekend.

BeeDog

thetrin said:
Well, the styles are split up by character. You play as four characters that start off in four different places. The game is broken up into 4 chapters, and it tells each of their stories individually, before converging into a single finale.

Gameplay wise, each character is given a few unique things (the detective can put people in holds and either break limbs, or handcuff targets, rendering them immobile, for instance). While Kazuma is in the game, the story really isn't about him, and the story treats him as the "wise protagonist turned side character".

That does sound pretty cool. What about the locations? Do you still run around in the same district as in Y3? That could seriously get old.

GamerGeorge said:
Non-importers are in for a real treat. Ryu Ga Gotoku 4: Densetsu wo Tsugumono is my game of the year for 2010 so far.

Agreed. Well it's not quite my GOTY but it's definitely up there. Mixes things up with the new playable characters, but it's the same old classic Yakuza gameplay we all love :)

kiryogi

Banned
BeeDog said:
That does sound pretty cool. What about the locations? Do you still run around in the same district as in Y3? That could seriously get old.

Yes, unforuntately it's still all Kamurocho. However it's been expanded a ton. They've added a lot of new areas with the rooftops and underground areas. It's pretty neat. You'll find a rooftop garden, or an underground shopping mall and parking lot.

sohois

Is that the millenium tower getting blown up again? I'm pretty sure its the same floor as well.

You'd think one of these days they'd take the time to hire a few more security guards for that place.

thetrin

BeeDog said:

Still Kamurocho, but with the addition of underground areas (malls, parking lots, maintenance areas) and rooftops.

sohois said:
Is that the millenium tower getting blown up again? I'm pretty sure its the same floor as well.

You'd think one of these days they'd take the time to hire a few more security guards for that place.

That's the same explosion from Yakuza 1.

I'm glad SEGA US keeps the tradition of really bad Yakuza trailers. I hope the next trailer is even more hysterically cut with even worse music.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'll probably buy this day one unlike yakuza 3 - if it's really the best game in the series and has no cut content. Gotta buy Y3 first though.

Don said:
I'm guessing Butterfly City won't be in the US/Europe versions sadly.

Removing Loser from Yakuza 3 was disappointing and I think they also removed another song from the ending as well.
Yeah, they did. That sucked.

I look forward to buying a new copy this time, SEGA. Don't make any silly unnecessary cuts this time.

hamchan

RGG4 was awesome, now I can actually try getting all the trophies in English. It's way easier to Platinum compared to 3.

Badass disc install too.

Character development was great in Yakuza 3 and topping Kyriu's abilities to the max, finding new and hidden tech was great. I'm worried about how this end up with 4 main characters with all their fighting style ... ?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BOX ART:

Yakuza-4_2010_09-02-10_08.jpg

Sega has learned :O

Top Bottom