• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

cj_iwakura

At Chapter 12 in Yakuza 2. I swear, if Haruka somehow gets kidnapped AGAIN in 3 and/or 5...

I really cringed at that
stabbing
, though I knew he'd be fine because Kiryu.

At Chapter 12 in Yakuza 2. I swear, if Haruka somehow gets kidnapped AGAIN in 3 and/or 5...

I really cringed at that
stabbing
, though I knew he'd be fine because Kiryu.

Don't play Dead Souls then, non spoilers as its revealed at the beginning but they do the same damn thing. Thankfully that trope fades away as the series goes on.

cj_iwakura

On one hand, after four hours I feel have an intimate understanding of how to play shogi.

On the other, after four hours I still couldn't clear the 'Shogi 1' minigame.

"Shouldn't go pro" my ass.

This guide is great, the tiles even look similar:
ancientchess.com/page/play-shogi.htm

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
On chapter 4 of 3, hope it picks up. My LTTP will be a long way away otherwise.

/edit/
Chapter 4 was way too fucking long. I just finished it. look at the edit timestamp.

/edit/
Chapter 4 was way too fucking long. I just finished it. look at the edit timestamp.

I believe you are getting to the point where the game picks up, I think chapter 5 is where the story really starts to unfold further.

/edit/

yea, 3 had really bad pacing when it came to the Okinawa stuff. When you hit chapter 5, it really picks up.

oh and FUCK THE GOLF SIDEQUEST. I hated doing it THREE TIMES (the last time was because I had lost all my saves for Yakuza 3 AND 4).

oneida

yea, 3 had really bad pacing when it came to the Okinawa stuff. When you hit chapter 5, it really picks up.

oh and FUCK THE GOLF SIDEQUEST. I hated doing it THREE TIMES (the last time was because I had lost all my saves for Yakuza 3 AND 4).

Hahah I loved the golf side quest! My roommates were crazy about it because they're into golf. They were telling me where to hit the ball when putting, it was fun.

Hahah I loved the golf side quest! My roommates were crazy about it because they're into golf. They were telling me where to hit the ball when putting, it was fun.

I also really enjoyed the Golf side mission in Yakuza 3 (and Dead Souls). Once it clicked with me I was addicted and actually managed to clear the mini game with 5 under par. For some reason I couldn't get on with Yakuza 4's golf mini game though, I swear the putting was changed subtly and it messed with me, I never did finish it...

Gacha-pin

Yumi, Shinji, Reina
cast-yumi-chara.png
cast-shinji-chara.png
cast-reina-chara.png

deadfolk

Everyone's saying how massive Yakuza 5 is. Where is the source on this? Is there any English info out there about the game? I know literally nothing about it.

Guys, I know you are really thirsty for more Yakuza, I am as well. But please take this from the guy who decided to platinum GOW III in preparation for GOW:A, playing an older version of a game right before a new one comes out, is not a very good idea.

You might burn yourself out of the series which would affect your enjoyment of the Y5. Trust me, even after two years I still can't bring myself to start a second playtrough of GOW:A.

Just play something... anything else. That's my advice from experience, don't say that I didn't warn you.
Everyone's saying how massive Yakuza 5 is. Where is the source on this? Is there any English info out there about the game? I know literally nothing about it.
Some people have played the Japanese version of the game so they know how big it actually is.

I'm going by my Japanese playthrough. I've played every Yakuza game to date (bar the second PSP game, I still need to start that one) and its easily the biggest game content wise - biggest number of cities, biggest number of mini games, side stuff, playable characters etc. They really went all in on that game, it took me over 150 hours before I stopped playing that game, and I still didn't manage to 100% the game (I think I ended at just over 90% in total).

Bigger doesn't always mean better though, I enjoyed 0 more partly down to it being a (slightly) smaller and more focused game (especially in narrative).

Guys, I know you are really thirsty for more Yakuza, I am as well. But please take this from the guy who decided to platinum GOW III in preparation for GOW:A, playing an older version of a game right before a new one comes out, is not a very good idea.

You might burn yourself out of the series which would affect your enjoyment of the Y5. Trust me, even after two years I still can't bring myself to start a second playtrough of GOW:A.

Just play something... anything else. That's my advice from experience, don't say that I didn't warn you.

I agree with this point. The only time I jumped from one Yakuza game to the next almost instantly was when I played through the HD versions of 1 and 2 on the PS3. Spacing things out is definitely worth it in this series, especially as the city and central mechanics are so similar, I could see me personally getting burnt out if I played through the English release of 5 and then immediately jumped over to the Japanese Remake of 1.

oneida

people who haven't jumped from one game to the next saying you shouldn't

I did, twice, it's fine

Well as I said, don't say that I didn't warn you.

I also jumped immediately from Y3 to Y4 but I practically ran through Y3 anyway so there was that. And the fact that Y4 had 3 new protagonists helped a lot to keep things fresh.

deadfolk

I'm going by my Japanese playthrough. I've played every Yakuza game to date (bar the second PSP game, I still need to start that one) and its easily the biggest game content wise - biggest number of cities, biggest number of mini games, side stuff, playable characters etc. They really went all in on that game, it took me over 150 hours before I stopped playing that game, and I still didn't manage to 100% the game (I think I ended at just over 90% in total).

Awesome - thanks!

...I enjoyed 0...

I'm soooo jelly. I really hope it gets released in English. And the HD remakes. I've given up on the historical ones by now, although they sound pretty much like my dream game. :(

I agree with this point. The only time I jumped from one Yakuza game to the next almost instantly was when I played through the HD versions of 1 and 2 on the PS3. Spacing things out is definitely worth it in this series, especially as the city and central mechanics are so similar, I could see me personally getting burnt out if I played through the English release of 5 and then immediately jumped over to the Japanese Remake of 1.

I agree with this, too. I'm currently on 4 and I'll be taking a short break before 5. I've made this mistake with other series in the past.

Kazzy

How did I not know about this thread!?

I've actually not been keeping an eye on the final release date for the localisation, so it's a pleasant surprise to see that there isn't long to wait!

I can vouch for those saying the size of 5 is huge. I really enjoyed it in Japanese, but it's always great to finally be able to play it in English, and more importantly, support the series.

Xieldos

Can't believe we still don't have a release date. I'm starting to think it might've been delayed to early next year now.

Kazzy

The past few days I've been replaying Dead Souls.

I know that the general consensus (even among a good number of fans), is that it's a bit of a dud, but I can't help but unapologetically love it.

It's so goofy, that I just find it endearing. Yeah, the shooting mechanics don't map great to this engine, but it's easy to overcome, and it's effortlessly playable for me.

IrishNinja

for real...any day now!

The past few days I've been replaying Dead Souls.

I know that the general consensus (even among a good number of fans), is that it's a bit of a dud, but I can't help but unapologetically love it.

It's so goofy, that I just find it endearing. Yeah, the shooting mechanics don't map great to this engine, but it's easy to overcome, and it's effortlessly playable for me.

yeah, i dug it as a kinda Y4 expansion...no idea if ill ever go back to beat it on insane mode for my plat though!

I ended up putting 130+ hours into Dead Souls so far. Though that was because I originally imported the Japanese version, then got the Euro version when it was released. Mechanically its not a great game (glad they learnt so much with Binary Domain) but I can't hate the game - it still has a ton of content I enjoyed chasing (from challenges to side stories to mini games) and Majima's (and Ryuuji's) singing/dancing mini game was an awesome sight to behold.
Its got the worst Amon boss battle in the entire series though - its an 90 minute (give or take) dungeon where if you don't have the right equipment and aren't prepared you'll be dead in one hit. And then you have to do the damn thing all over again... The worst bit was going into the Euro version knowing how bastard hard that section was, being tooled up and ready and STILL screwing up the first time...

Hypereides

Gold Member
Just started playing Yakuza 4. I've gotten to
Saejima's part.
The story is more interesting that Yakuza 3 so far.

I like the added areas in Kamoroucho. Good to see more depth to the exploration.

Kazzy

Huh, I totally forgot about the fact that Dead Souls was intended to be the literal 'End'. It's super jarring coming out of the story's finale, and being presented with a montage of the series big story moments, along with an emotional song laid over the top.

As ever, super-satisfying conclusion. I'd totally forgotten about most of the plot elements - It's way better than it has any right to be.

I then proceeded to watch the amazing install screen on youtube, because my digital version didn't include it.

Huh, I totally forgot about the fact that Dead Souls was intended to be the literal 'End'. It's super jarring coming out of the story's finale, and being presented with a montage of the series big story moments, along with an emotional song laid over the top.

As ever, super-satisfying conclusion. I'd totally forgotten about most of the plot elements - It's way better than it has any right to be.

I then proceeded to watch the amazing install screen on youtube, because my digital version didn't include it.

Yeah, I really liked the ending montage on Dead Souls, at the time I actually believed they might have been ending the series/putting it to rest for a while! That lasted a few months I believe before 5 got announced!

Top Bottom