• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Sgblues

Do you guys know any good place to read about story, characters and world of the series? Things like biography of each character and from which clan they are, relationships between different clans, etc etc.

I want to introduce the series to my friends but they are most likely wanna try the latest game in the series so they have to catch up with characters and story so far.

Well there's the Yakuza Wiki run by Yimbocarimbo who, made a good RGG5/Y5 guide but it hasn't been updated in a while.

My original idea for the community thread when I was planning to make it was to have character bios, history and stuff and stuff like that but ended up scraping the idea when this one was made.

Unfortunately I have to translate most of the stuff to them cause most of them aren't very good at English, so showing them recap videos of previous games is out of question.
Well there's the Yakuza Wiki run by Yimbocarimbo who, made a good RGG5/Y5 guide but it hasn't been updated in a while.

My original idea for the community thread when I was planning to make it was to have character bios, history and stuff and stuff like that but ended up scraping the idea when this one was made.

Thanks. It's not exactly what I had in mind but it's good enough.

I'm happy if it releases in 2015. (I am secretly hoping early December.)

I think they'd have screwed up royally to not release it this year. What with the video's pre order discount etc. They seem to be gearing up to its release but I still think they missed their mark by not releasing it sooner, since it has a far greater chance of getting lost in the buzz of all the big holiday games.

Labadal

I think they'd have screwed up royally to not release it this year. What with the video's pre order discount etc. They seem to be gearing up to its release but I still think they missed their mark by not releasing it sooner, since it has a far greater chance of getting lost in the buzz of all the big holiday games.

Oh, they totally messed up. The Yakuza 5 store page on the Euro PSN says that the game is disc only when it is digital only. The game should have released earlier and all that. I'm thinking this will sell worse than any other installment.

Oh, they totally messed up. The Yakuza 5 store page on the Euro PSN says that the game is disc only when it is digital only. The game should have released earlier and all that. I'm thinking this will sell worse than any other installment.

Yeah, I really won't be surprised if it doesn't sell all that much :( I'll continue to import the games day 1 anyway even if they stop doing English releases...

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
having already paid for Y5 I hope it drops sooner rather than later

im on ch14 of y2 though and still need to play through 3 after...

oneida

I personally find 2 much easier than 1, maybe even a bit too easy. I'm 33hrs in and haven't died, while in Y1 I died around 17 times.

My thumbs are broken! Also, those fuckers with couches. When you have to deal with both of them, lots of screaming happens.

No sure if you get it in Yakuza 2 or later, but there are heat moves that instantly deal with the couch guys. They try the same thing in Yakuza 0 but as long as you have heat you just perform a heat move and destroy them, Its so damn awesome, and satisfying to watch!

Labadal

What about the Tigers?

Oh, they aren't that bad. I'm just foing a quick run through the series in anticipation of Yakuza 5. I just remember more about the other games than I remember about Yakuza 2. I'm not going to take more than 20 hours to complete the game because I'm skipping most of the side content. (I won't replay Y3, because I actually played it not long ago.)

Aki-at

I personally find 2 much easier than 1, maybe even a bit too easy. I'm 33hrs in and haven't died, while in Y1 I died around 17 times.

Probably toned down the difficulty a lot. I remember reading a Famitsu interview where they asked Nagoshi directly why are the Yakuza games so hard.

Probably toned down the difficulty a lot. I remember reading a Famitsu interview where they asked Nagoshi directly why are the Yakuza games so hard.

Well that'd explain why 4 was so damn easy for the most part... Thankfully Ishin and 0 seemed to increase the difficulty (slightly) but I'd still like more aggressive AI for 6.

After having it sit unopened for years on my shelf I finally opened Dead Souls and played it for a couple hours.

WTF were they thinking with the shooting mechanics.

After having it sit unopened for years on my shelf I finally opened Dead Souls and played it for a couple hours.

WTF were they thinking with the shooting mechanics.

I don't think anyone on the core RGG team have played a non-RGG game since the PS2 era. It really shows in the base mechanics and system stuff of the PS3 and PS4 games. It's not surprising they aren't aware that third person shooting controls have already been figured out. It *is* surprising just how poor their attempt was, though.

Sgblues

Well to be honest Dead Souls was just something to do as they had the assets from Y4(aside from Ryuji Goda's updated model and some other stuff) and push out quick as the real game they were working on and had their attention directed at was Binary Domain.

The story was that Dead Souls was an experiment for Binary Domain, they had to figure shooting mechanics and this was their test run.

LIttle trivia:

Was reading To aru matjustu no index NT volume 8 ..

I counted 4 yakuza ( ryu ga gotoku ) references and i'm halfway through the book.

Brought a smile on my face..

zakujanai

From my observation, Japan in general doesn't care much about spoilers, they'll outright include it in advertisements for games/television shows/movies.

I nearly made a similar comment to this. I generally avoid Japanese trailers because they really don't give a fan about showing absolutely everything.

I know it was a remastwr, but I remember the trailer for Final Fantasy X was absolutely brutal.

Labadal

I just completed Yakuza 2. I had forgotten some things about the game, but I did not forget about some of the end game battles. The actual final boss wasn't that bad, but the fights leading up to it were headache inducing, heh. I still rate it as my second favorite Yakuza game behind Yakuza 4.

oneida

Had a false start on Yakuza 3 and I've gotten distracted by other games. Watched Ichi the Killer last night and I'm feeling like picking up 3 again.

Wish they'd tell us when 5 will drop... I've already paid for it.

you mean that placeholder date they gave us of new year's eve like forever ago doesn't inspire confidence?

What's crazy is that I seem to remember them saying back when they put the pre-order page up (in early September) that there would be a release date announced within a few weeks.

I'll be honest, I completely forgot that 5 was getting released... I've already been looking ahead to January for the (Japanese) release of the Yakuza 1 REmake.

IrishNinja

^yeah man, japan's out here playing Zero for a while now, looking forward to remake & 6

meanwhile stateside

feedme.png

Ludens

Banned
Just completed Dead Souls, it was great. Tomorrow I think I'll start Yakuza 3, sadly I can't take now 5, but for sure I'll do it later.

These knife throwing assholes in Yakuza 2... I remember how much I hate them.

Throw them a broom or something, on Normal you should insta-kill them.

oneida

mysteriously, all mentions of a mid November release have vanished from that blog entry. I blame everyone complaining that it was too close to Fallout 4

Gacha-pin

There's a post about this, but I figured I'd share it here in case anyone misses it:

Yakuza 5 looks like it will be releasing mid-November

Yay, film recommendation blog post like Rockstar!! GTA Japan HYPEEEE!! ( ゚∀゚)o彡゜GTA Japan, GTA Japan!!
:p

wondering SEGA or SCEA will translate the recap videos of the series and upload somewhere. I've never played Yakuza 1, kinda want to watch them.

Is Yakuza 4 compatible with a Dualshock 4? I read something about PS3 games not supporting rumble but some don't seem to work at all?

Top Bottom