• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 Announced for December 2017

Desmond

DIJhC0qU0AAnFE8.jpg:large

-Built on the Dragon Engine for PS4.
-Seamless maps of Osaka and Tokyo
-New Majima playable scenario: The Truth of Majim/ The True Majima:
Nagoshi doesn't like remaking but feels that sometimes he needs to add in extra bits, for fan service, especially mentions construction worker Majima. Says to look forward to the women shown (Makoto), but doesn't mention her by name.
-SiM (reggae pop) group to perform the theme song, lyrics were written with Kiryu and Goda in mind.

Release Date: 7th December 2017, in Japanese, Chinese and Korean.

Special Edition and Special Edition PS4 announced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSdZUTsYygY

Don't know how I feel about them bringing Makoto back. Her character didn't even exist when 2 originally came out, so I wonder how they'll fit her in the story this time around. Plus the way her arc in 0 ended was perfect.

Zareka

I hope this gets brought over fast. Not being able to play 6 next year because I've missed the others is gonna suck. Once I get Kiwami and Kiwami 2 down I can blast through the rest on PS3 at least.

Zero315

Banned
Hopefully Sega fast tracks the western release of this one due to the success of 0 and Kiwami.

WE FEASTING, YAKUZA-GAF!

Kalor

Don't know how I feel about them bringing Makoto back. Her character didn't even exist when 2 originally came out, so I wonder how they'll fit her in the story this time around. Plus the way her arc in 0 ended was perfect.

Majima has a seperate scenario so she'll be there. It means they dont have to fit her into the main story.

This is getting ridiculous. I was planning on starting with 0 this year but at this rate I'm already tired of the franchise before touching one game.

IrishNinja

This is getting ridiculous. I was planning on starting with 0 this year but at this rate I'm already tired of the franchise before touching one game.

nahhhh, we literally went 4 years or so with nothing to show for it - many of these are older titles we're finally seeing.

you're getting 2 yakuza titles each year, 2 of which are remasters of the PS2 games that were desperately needed & fantastic to get new players on after Zero (the best starting point) came out earlier this year & became a GOTY candidate.

we went from famine to fest, no reason for anything but happiness here.

I hope most of yous who are choosing to start late at least buy the games. Y'know, to show SEGA the thirst is real. I'll be buying Kiwami on launch but may not start until later in year. (Bc I'm worried about Yakuza fatigue setting in what with only recently having completed 0.)

EricB

Spoken like someone who has never actually played a Yakuza game. Play through 0, then come back. There is a reason most fans haven't gotten sick of this series despite a ton of games.

Jumeira

Banned
All these Yakuza's, don't know how I'm going to get through them this gen.

So this will release in US/EU after Y6 in march probably?

GeNoMe

Welp.....there it is gals and boys. There hasn't been a better time to jump into this series as right now.

8bit

Knows the Score

Your loss!

After Dead Souls it looked as if we wouldn't see any more games in the series brought over, so seeing all of these reappear and finding people actually want to play them this time around is quite heartening.

What site are people using to import Japanese games these days? Is Play-Asia still good? This'll be the first Yakuza (or RGG, I suppose) game I import day one.

Ruruja

Why? This is better for people like you.

You get to play the first 3 games (0, 1, 2) on PS4 instead of going from 0 on PS4 to blurry, low-res PS2 games.

And there's no guarantee the west will get Kiwami 2 anytime soon anyways.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Would it be unrealistic to presume late 2018 for western release ?

Or due to yakuza 6 coming out in early 2018 should we expect early 2019 for kiwami 2?

It has already been pointed out but it has been pretty scarce with Yakuza titles for the west so this isn't really that bad. I am glad the series is getting this much attention which means it's making a profit which means more titles.

I hope this gets brought over fast. Not being able to play 6 next year because I've missed the others is gonna suck. Once I get Kiwami and Kiwami 2 down I can blast through the rest on PS3 at least.

Yeah, I previously only played through Yakuza and Yakuza 2 in the lead up to Yakuza 3 and I fell off Yakuza 3 early on. Now I'm working my way through Yakuza 0 (I got it when it launched but have been side tracked by things like the Switch) and have Kiwami preordered. For Yakuza 6 I think I'm going to preorder it and buy it at launch just to show support because once I get through Kiwami I probably won't continue playing the series until Kiwami 2 comes here which will certainly make Yakuza 3 even HARDER to go back to but whatever.

ZeroX03

Banned
Game looks great.

-New Majima playable scenario: The Truth of Majim/ The True Majima:
Nagoshi doesn't like remaking but feels that sometimes he needs to add in extra bits, for fan service, especially mentions construction worker Majima. Says to look forward to the women shown (Makoto), but doesn't mention her by name.[/url]

Don't need Majima, but it's nice to see they're going to the effort to add more. Kiwami 2 does bring every entry in the series up to modern-ish standards.

Not expecting Kiwami 3 or anything beyond it. Doesn't need more than a port anyway.

Desmond

Game looks great.

Don't need Majima, but it's nice to see they're going to the effort to add more. Kiwami 2 does bring every entry in the series up to modern-ish standards.

Not expecting Kiwami 3 or anything beyond it. Doesn't need more than a port anyway.

They mentioned this was the second part of the Kiwami project, I wouldn't be surprised if we got Kiwami 3, then remasters of 4 and 5.

It has already been pointed out but it has been pretty scarce with Yakuza titles for the west so this isn't really that bad. I am glad the series is getting this much attention which means it's making a profit which means more titles.

I've been interested in playing Yakuza, but have never really dared diving into it with it being so fragmented. I also remember that some installments didn't allow you to play with japanese VA, which just seems... bad. english dubs in japanese games ruin them for me, but in this case particular- It just seems even more jarring.

Do you think they will also remake Yakuza 3, 4 and 5, so you can play all of them with Japanese VA natively remade for PS4? giving you the entire saga?

I've been interested in playing Yakuza, but have never really dared diving into it with it being so fragmented. I also remember that some installments didn't allow you to play with japanese VA, which just seems... bad. english dubs in japanese games ruin them for me, but in this case particular- It just seems even more jarring.

Do you think they will also remake Yakuza 3, 4 and 5, so you can play all of them with Japanese VA natively remade for PS4? giving you the entire saga?

There was literally only the one game (the original) that had an english dub, and that game's remake is coming out in 3 days which will have the JP VA.

The entire series is already available in Japanese.

Saphirax

The only game with a dub is Yakuza 1 for ps2. 3, 4 and 5 don't need remakes. Would be nice if they'd get ported to ps4 though.

ZeroX03

Banned
They mentioned this was the second part of the Kiwi project, I wouldn't be surprised if we got Kiwami 3, then remasters of 4 and 5.

Other than greater combat variety, what does 3 really get out of a remake? It's pretty separate on a story level and holds up visually.

Really just a remaster of the three games, some small QOL improvements and a framerate and res bump is all that's necessary. Call it the Kiwami collection or something.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
nahhhh, we literally went 4 years or so with nothing to show for it - many of these are older titles we're finally seeing.

you're getting 2 yakuza titles each year, 2 of which are remasters of the PS2 games that were desperately needed & fantastic to get new players on after Zero (the best starting point) came out earlier this year & became a GOTY candidate.

we went from famine to fest, no reason for anything but happiness here.

Agreed :).

Top Bottom