• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza series - where should I start?

Z..

I've always wanted to play these, having already played the first game back in '08 on PS2 but what with Yak 2 having always been so absurdly expensive I haven't been able to continue playing them in order as I I've always wanted. Now, with Kiwami 2 nearing the horizon I can finally sit down and finally play these gems.

So, considering all that... do I start with Kiwami or Zero?
Do bear in mind I don't remember that much about Yak 1, it has been 10 years after all...

ScrapBrain

In my opinion Yakuza 0 is probably the way to go. I was asking this question about the series right as Yakuza 0 was coming out, and whether I should play any of the other games first and the general consensus was that 0 was a great starting point, and they were right, it's a fantastic game and hits all the introductory notes needed. Hope that helps!

RPGCrazied

Zero. Its basically a prequel. It also has one of the greatest stories I've ever seen in a video game. Enjoy. I'm on 5, going to play that next before 6 comes out.

Last edited:

Amory

As someone who just started the series as well, I say start with Kiwami.

I started with Kiwami and now am playing Zero, and whereas Kiwami was very enjoyable for me as my first Yakuza game, I think it'd be less enjoyable if I had Zero to compare it to.

Zero is the better experience in just about every way.

LOLCats

Banned

I started with Kiwami and now am playing Zero, and whereas Kiwami was very enjoyable for me as my first Yakuza game, I think it'd be less enjoyable if I had Zero to compare it to.

I'd have to agree. Kiwami first, Zero will be more enjoyable with its improvements.

DryvBy

If you have a PS4, go right for Zero. The beauty of this series is that you don't really need to follow any order. I started at 3 but didn't get into the series until 4. They do a great job at explaining the backstories through video.

Shifty

Zero is an excellent jumping-off point. It does make Kiwami seem a little barebones by comparison, but that's because it's an amazing game.

Dunki

In terms of gameplay, content etc. Yes. In terms of Story no. Playing Zero first makes you bond with characters more to a a degree that the story will be way more impactful. Also There are side quests which start with Zero and continue in Kiwami was well. Most relevant here is the Pocket Racing Side Story. Another point would be atmosphere. When you have visited the City in 0 and then play Kiwami you can see how the city has changed. Biggest would be here the Empty Lot which is a key point in Zero's story from the beginning.

Last edited:

AlphaMale

If you have a PS4, go right for Zero. The beauty of this series is that you don't really need to follow any order. I started at 3 but didn't get into the series until 4. They do a great job at explaining the backstories through video.

Yeah, I was gonna say... I think they all give you a "The story thus far..." type of backstory update, so it doesn't really matter which one you start with.

brap

Banned
I'd say Kiwami because I always play things in the order they were released. Though I did start with Yakuza 4...

Top Bottom