• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yasumi Matsuno joins Level 5, smaller scale games for all ages [Updated again]

Matsuno

Scenario/dialogue writer Kitahara Kyoko(FFTA, FFTA2, FFXII, Tactics Ogre psp) now works with to level 5, maybe other FFXII team are following their master.......

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Matsuno said:
Scenario/dialogue writer Kitahara Kyoko(FFTA, FFTA2, FFXII, Tactics Ogre psp) now works with to level 5, maybe other FFXII team are following their master.......

I wonder if Akihiko Yoshida will eventually jump in L5, too...

Matsuno said:
With his her writing credentials, sounds like he she will be a great fit at Level 5.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Matsuno said:
As duckroll said a source would be great, but I wouldn't be surprised if this were to happen. A few of them did it with Quest -> Square long ago but the fireworks will only really fly if Minagawa and Yoshida follow suit.

Tabris

"compact games", "speedy games", "handheld gaming" is what has ruined japanese gaming. If it wasn't for companies like Bioware, I would have given up on "solo" gaming this generation (I would have still played multiplayer games)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Tabris said:
"compact games", "speedy games", "handheld gaming" is what has ruined japanese gaming. If it wasn't for companies like Bioware, I would have given up on "solo" gaming this generation (I would have still played multiplayer games)
And for every crying post of yours about the state of Japanese gaming, I feel that it has breathed new life in to a stale rotting corpse. The writing has been on the wall for a good decade that the future of Japanese games was in handhelds. The problem is not the developers or the publishers, the problem solely rests upon your lack of taste. You have no one to blame but yourself; the fact that you credit BioWare somehow is a warning siren.

Famassu

Tabris said:
Yeeeeah... no. Nothing has "ruined" Japanese gaming since there have been plenty of great Japanese games during this generation. Sucks to be you if you have some asinine problems of not being able to enjoy handheld games, but there are plenty to enjoy there (no, not just "compact, speedy games", but tons of games with a lot more meat to them than even a lot of console games). And there have been plenty of good single-player console games too.

Tabris

Mass Effect > every single jRPG this generation.

If you know who I was, then this statement would show you how much the jRPG genre has died.

Aaron

Tabris said:

If you know who I was, then this statement would show you how much the jRPG genre has died.
Demon's Souls is way better than ME1 or 2.

SoilBreak

Banned
Tabris said:

9CxNU.gif

Dascu

Tabris said:

Question: Which jRPGs have you played this generation?

weeaboo

Tabris said:

Xenoblade is better than Mass Effect

wrowa

Tabris said:
Bolding you statement doesn't make it true.

Koren

wrowa said:
The loss of the Ogre franchise would be a little sad, but judging by SE's current way of doing this they would have most likely scrapped that franchise again anyway.
They have. Same for Densha de Go (DS version is a cash-in). And many others, and that's truly a pity.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Never liked his games. I always thought his ideas were awesome, but the implementation sucked quite a lot, and I probably will never forget the shitty FFTA (the stupid story and the really stupid law system, and this is speaking in VG terms).

For example, I could only see the genius of Ogre Battle when I played OB 64, which was a much better game than the original, because it managed to get the original idea, but it did so with great gameplay, not like the original which was a mess.

Maybe with L5 he will get better people to work with his ideas, because I always have seen L5 as a company that values gameplay much more than S-E (for example, Layton is a great idea that could have gone VERY wrong, but it works as a game, because it somehow makes sense story-wise and gameplay-wise).

manueldelalas said:
I probably will never forget the shitty FFTA (the stupid story and the really stupid law system, and this is speaking in VG terms).

Matsuno didn't have any hand in the creation of Tactics Advance, other than the original concept.

It was written, designed, and directed by other people.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Tabris said:

Oh, so it's settled. The JRPG genre has died.

Mr. Important said so.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Tabris said:

You're the guy who was banned from the Media Create threads right?

batbeg

manueldelalas said:
Maybe with L5 he will get better people to work with his ideas, because I always have seen L5 as a company that values gameplay much more than S-E (for example, Layton is a great idea that could have gone VERY wrong, but it works as a game, because it somehow makes sense story-wise and gameplay-wise).
Looking at Matsunos best genre (srpgs) and l5s output in that department (Jeanne d'Arc) I can only laugh at your incredible sense of humor. Good one!

Momo

Banned
Tabris said:

1. Apples and Oranges.

2. No.

StuBurns

Banned
JRPGs have pretty much died to me. I look forward to Ni no Kuni, but Level-5 are not going to suddenly make an amazing game, I'm expecting it to be middling, but pretty. Versus XIII will hopefully be amazing, but it's not looking very Command-RPGish clearly.

Mass Effect is better than any JRPG I've played this generation.

EDIT: Unless you count Nier, and I don't.

wrowa

StuBurns said:
JRPGs have pretty much died to me. I look forward to Ni no Kuni, but Level-5 are not going to suddenly make an amazing game, I'm expecting it to be middling, but pretty. Versus XIII will hopefully be amazing, but it's not looking very Command-RPGish clearly.

Mass Effect is better than any JRPG I've played this generation.
Have you played Xenoblade?

I know, repeating Xenoblade over and over again is silly, but it is the best JRPG of the generation. Without having played it the last statement is worthless :p

StuBurns

Banned
wrowa said:
Have you played Xenoblade?

I know, repeating Xenoblade over and over again is silly, but it is the best JRPG of the generation. Without having played it the last statement is worthless :p
No I haven't, I think it looks bad though, and I hated the other Xeno's.

Peff

7Th said:
A Junior being better informed than duckroll? What is the world coming to?!

Eh, to be fair no one really cares about her given her past works. Though I guess it was the only way for Layton's twists to get any more absurd.

StuBurns

Banned
SoilBreak said:
What JRPGs did you played this generation?
Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, FFXIII, Pokemon W/B, White Knight Chronicles, The Last Remnant, lots more.

Top Bottom