• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yasumi Matsuno joins Level 5, smaller scale games for all ages [Updated again]

StuBurns said:
Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, FFXIII, Pokemon W/B, White Knight Chronicles, The Last Remnant, lots more.

I don't see the issue here, maybe aside from bad pacing.

wrowa

StuBurns said:
No I haven't, I think it looks bad though, and I hated the other Xeno's.
Xenoblade plays honestly nothing like the other Xeno games. It was developed with a "gameplay first" mindset, instead of the usual "story first" mindset of the other Xeno games.

StuBurns

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
I don't see the issue here, maybe aside from bad pacing.
I'm not saying they're all shit. They just don't have an affect on me as they once did, I don't really care about them. I'm always hoping they do though, so I keep getting hyped and trying them.

wrowa said:
Xenoblade plays honestly nothing like the other Xeno games. It was developed with a "gameplay first" mindset, instead of the usual "story first" mindset of the other Xeno games.
I do intend to try it at some point, although I don't like the art at all. I'm more interested in the Last Story personally.

Momo

Banned
StuBurns said:
Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, FFXIII, Pokemon W/B, White Knight Chronicles, The Last Remnant, lots more.
Do you own a handheld? Also have you tried Demon's Souls?

EDIT: Oops sorry Pokemon says you do. Have you tried handheld RPGs other than Pocket Monsters?

StuBurns

Banned
Momo said:
Do you own a handheld? Also have you tried Demon's Souls?

EDIT: Oops sorry Pokemon says you do. Have you tried handheld RPGs other than Pocket Monsters?
I own a DS and PSP, and now a 3DS.

I played thru Chrono Trigger again, I played and loved The World Ends With You but I don't really consider than an RPG. DQ9, FF3/4, Golden Sun DD, that's all I remember on DS, might be one or two I've missed.

Dascu

StuBurns said:

I played thru Chrono Trigger again, I played and loved The World Ends With You but I don't really consider than an RPG. DQ9, FF3/4, Golden Sun DD, that's all I remember on DS, might be one or two I've missed.
Radiant Historia is pretty good. It's got a somewhat generic look to it, but the battle system keeps you on your toes and the story isn't too bad either. It manages to avoid "bad JRPG" elements like emo characters, animé melodrama, random encounters or repetitive button-mashing battles.

StuBurns said:

O3i7b.jpg

?

Momo

Banned
StuBurns said:

Persona 3P is a great game, so is Monster Hunter (Try Freedom Unite), the Phantasy Star games are a nice distraction, there is Tactics Ogre, Jeanne d'Arc, Ys 7 too.

EDIT: Fimbulvetr knows whats up. Also if you missed it the first time, you may want to try Vagrant Story.

SomeDude

Banned
fuck you, matsuno. you're wasting your life.

he'd rather waste his time making two good games within a couple yaers then put his effrots in making 1 everlasting masterpiece.

StuBurns

Banned
Momo said:
Persona 3P is a great game, so is Monster Hunter (Try Freedom Unite), the Phantasy Star games are a nice distraction, there is Tactics Ogre, Jeanne d'Arc, Ys 7 too.

EDIT: Fimbulvetr knows whats up. Also if you missed it the first time, you may want to try Vagrant Story.
Thanks, but I don't want to derail with recommendations. I've tried some of those games, and don't like them. Never played an Ys, I've been meaning too, but there are so many and so many remakes that it's a little daunting, I will get to it in time.

Boney

Banned
StuBurns said:

My condolences on you playing Golden Sun DD.

StuBurns

Banned
Boney said:
My condolences on you playing Golden Sun DD.
Yeah that game fucking sucked. I actually bought it too, I try to play a little from someone else before I buy a DS game. I had warm memories of the older ones for some reason.

Skilletor

wrowa said:
Why that? The similiarities between the two games are very, very shallow.

I haven't played it myself, but watching videos it's what the game reminded me of. Similar to an offline MMO in approach. Not saying they're the same, just that's the vibe I got from what I've seen.

Boney

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
So that ended up being bad?

What was wrong?
The only good things about it were the Psynergy puzzles and the Lost Age did it much better still. New characters suck, plot points are dropped all the time, battle system while nice, you can beat everything except the optional bosses by just mashing attack. Towns and overall geography suck, I have no idea why they changed this. Points of no return with no warning at all that might mean you're gonna lose Djinns.

Psynergy puzzles save it from not being one of the worst RPG's I've ever played, but it still was dissapointment of the year for me.

StuBurns said:
Unless you count Nier, and I don't.

StuBurns said:
I played and loved The World Ends With You but I don't really consider than an RPG.

If you don't consider any unique and innovative games to be RPGs, then of course you're not going to like the genre anymore!

StuBurns said:
Never played an Ys, I've been meaning too, but there are so many and so many remakes that it's a little daunting, I will get to it in time.

Start with Oath in Felghana and thank me later.

StuBurns

Banned
hosannainexcelsis said:
If you don't consider any unique and innovative games to be RPGs, then of course you're not going to like the genre anymore!
Nier is much more like a Zelda to me, I guess some people call Zelda an RPG, I've always thought of it as an adventure game.

StuBurns said:
Nier is much more like a Zelda to me, I guess some people call Zelda an RPG, I've always thought of it as an adventure game.
There is a certain Zelda-ish flavor to the world design of Nier, but there's HP, leveling, upgradable weapons with various stats, copious amounts of loot - all trappings I expect to find in an RPG. I call it an action RPG, though it does borrow from many different genres.

Soulhouf

manueldelalas said:
Maybe with L5 he will get better people to work with his ideas, because I always have seen L5 as a company that values gameplay much more than S-E (for example, Layton is a great idea that could have gone VERY wrong, but it works as a game, because it somehow makes sense story-wise and gameplay-wise).
Gameplay-wise, Tactics Ogre and Vagrant Story make Level 5 games look ridiculous.

The funny thing is, TO Remake included a shitty feature that we find in most of Level 5 games and which is the alchemy pot.
I hate that feature in Level 5 games and I wonder if Matsuno took it knowing that he would join the company later.

manueldelalas said:
Never liked his games. I always thought his ideas were awesome, but the implementation sucked quite a lot, and I probably will never forget the shitty FFTA (the stupid story and the really stupid law system, and this is speaking in VG terms).

:facepalm:
You're speaking without knowing. If you judge Matsuno's writing with FFTA you're completely wrong. His contribution to this game was very limited : being very busy with FFXII at the time he fully entrusted ex-Quest member to develop it. If you want to have a true idea of the man's talent in writing and conception of background play Vagrant Story, FFT or Tactics Ogre. FFXII is behind these 3 because he could not finish it so the story is not 100% his.

For example, I could only see the genius of Ogre Battle when I played OB 64, which was a much better game than the original, because it managed to get the original idea, but it did so with great gameplay, not like the original which was a mess.
oO
OB64 is very similar to the original, what "great gameplay" are you thinking to?

Maybe with L5 he will get better people to work with his ideas, because I always have seen L5 as a company that values gameplay much more than S-E (for example, Layton is a great idea that could have gone VERY wrong, but it works as a game, because it somehow makes sense story-wise and gameplay-wise).
You definitely don't know what you're saying.

Mxrz

Yes, yes. Small puzzle games. Fine. Whatever. Okay. But at some point he will get the urge to return to his calling and a design a big, political-cut throat tactical game, right?

Right??

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Hikash Winzalf said:
oO
OB64 is very similar to the original, what "great gameplay" are you thinking to?
OB64 gameplay was in every aspect superior to the original, the accessibility of the game was great, while the accessibility of the original was really bad.

I can finish OB 64 with no problem, but I can't begin the original, it's just that bad. It is really easy to see that the Matsuno less OB 64 was infinitely superior to the original, and it was roughly the same idea (almost the same game, with another story).

Matsuno is a genius when it comes to ideas, but the implementation almost always suck; he needs more noob feedback, he needs to put accessibility to his games.

Level 5 games lack many things, but when it comes to ease of playing, difficulty curves and accessibility, they shine (they may hold your hand a little too much).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Mass Effect 1? Seriously? The game with extremely repetitive sidequests, atrocious combat mechanics, a mess of an inventory system, and extremely sluggish performance (but admittedly great music)? Better than something like Resonance of Fate or Vesperia? Whaaaaa?

Top Bottom