• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Years later, Do You prefer Achievements, Trophies, or Accomplishments?

Which system do you prefer?

• Total voters
I HATE THEM THEY ARR JUST A DICK MEASURING CONTEST LULZ HOW BIG IS YOUR E-PENIS

I love trophies and achievements but personally prefer Achievements. I remember that 100k feeling, was quite nice

I think you mean how big is your E-Schwartz. Tis the season.

At first I didn't care at all about these but I gotta vote trophies cause I've never owned a Xbox. Props to Microsoft though for starting it out though; really adds a new element to games and if you don't like them they can be completely ignored.

HeresJohnny

I kinda got over them. I mean, they’re still ok when done right, but sometimes the developers want you to play their game in an entirely broken way to get them. Today, I look at one when it pops up while I’m playing but it definitely isn’t like I was in the 360 days where I was checking on achievement sites before a game was even out.

MDSLKTR

Depends of the game. It made me appreciate god of war even more, yet it would make me despise red dead for example (and that's not including online garbage).
the gamer score tells a much better story, IMO.
Trophies work towards Psn levels which act as the same thing.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Yeah the hurr sure you pressed start ones are a ball ache. So pointless. I also don’t think they have any place in online play. If they MUST be in an online game, say the games only online, they make them milestones. Not “kill jim while juggling a grenade and in mid air while your friend comes online” type bullshit. Not only do those achievements annoy me, but it also means you can pretty much guarantee some asshat will be grinding them instead of playing.

Daymos

I prefer trophies to achievements, but it doesn't matter to me too much. My general method of tracking my game progress is looking at hours played, I like to play a game at least 1 hour for every $1 I spent on the game. $60 for 60 hours and I don't feel like I'm spending too much on gaming.

Observadorpt

Neo Member
Hi

I love my trophies and i care about them. Don´t have xbox anymore so achievements to me no more.:messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Wimbledon

I remember in Halo 3 the armor pieces were tied to the achievements in the game. That was the first game that i actually tried to 100% because i wanted the Hayabusa armor or RECON.

In all honesty any of those systems work if there tied to equipment unlocks. Otherwise i don't even bother with going for achievements.

Last edited:

DonF

I love the idea of the Platinum trophy on PlayStation.
Nowadays I just play the games, I see the trophy list when I finish. If theres any easy or interesting trophy missing, I'll go for it. If it's annoying I'll maybe leave for later or not do it at all. Looking at you, zeus' birds!!

Last edited:

Flapples

def achievements cause i have like 90 thousand points, on playstation im only like lvl 8, ps succs the big pp

also liked comparing my achievements with other friends back in the 360 era and we would laugh about all the stupid shit we did in those games *sigh*

Last edited:
None of them really anything. I think WoW came the closest to making those in game things worthwhile by rewarding with titles but even that didn't go far enough.

Agreed. WoW actually gave you stuff for completing achievements.

That said, I didn't particularly hunt any of them down, nor do I try for any of them in any game. If it happens, cool. I don't really care.

Darius87

Love trophies, but hate multiplayer ones it should be free to achieve platinum trophy sony!!! i think it's really good measurement how passionate & good player you are, also with next-gen trophies also should evolve:
add diamond trophy above gold but bellow platinum
remove online trophies
relate trophies with in-game cosmetics make them worthy to get it.

Solo Act

I prefer Nintendo's current system of intrinsic achievements. As in, play the game for your own personal enjoyment; not to check items off of a list.

I also enjoyed this on every video game system which existed before the Xbox 360.

Last edited:
Trophies.
They arent that important to me but they give extra incentive to keep playing after finishing the story/main campaign and help me get better at videogames.

I will keep supporting the notion that silver, gold and platinum trophies should grant the player that conquer them custom cosmetics, hidden cutscenes, wallpapers, themes and whatnot.
Now that would be great.

MetalRain

There are too many platforms I play for me to care about them : Steam, GoG, Origin, UPlay, PSStore, Nintendo Store. I would like to have one score to rule them all, like Xbox has, but it's not really important.

Barakov

I used to be way into achievements but now I could care less, they're absolutely meaningless to me. Honestly, I think games would be better off if they ditched them completely.

Aenima

I like the way Trophies structure work more than the achievements score, especially the platinum trophy representing the 100% complition of all trophies.

I like to hunt trophies, if im done with the game and still want to keep playing it, i try go for the platinum, unless thers bullshit trophies there that are just way too grindy and time consuming. Some trophies add extra challenges to the game or make me see things in game that otherwise i would not see.

Also, i only look at the trophies after finishing the game. Some trophies contain spoilers so only when I finish it i look at how many trophies are left, then decide if i go hunt the missing ones or not.

Last edited:

Shaukdotdj

Sony emails you exclusive themes for games when you platinum them apparently. Tho I've yet to receive one for any of mine.

Pantz

I prefer watching my grand total go up with achievements rather than with Trophies. It feels like anything less than a Platinum trophy isn't quite right.
Plus, there are quests from Xbox Live Gold, Game Pass, and Microsoft Rewards that sometimes involve unlocking achievements and will net you a prize for doing so like free DLC, free game pass, free $5 in points or free entries to win a gold plated Xbox One X.

Both are nice and can add extra gameplay that you wouldn't normally do. I think of them as side quests. I don't stress about unlocking every achievement or trophy though. If it's a fun game and the and I'm enjoying myself then yeah I might try to unlock them all. If they end up being too much of a grind then it's not worth it and I have no problem leaving some on the table.

BibiMaghoo

I like the trophy mechanism that shows a core game has been 100% completed at a glance and that a persons profile also reflects this. Last I checked the other systems don't really have a means to demonstrate that. Yes they can show 100% but you can't tell that from a profile and mixing in DLC obviously makes it even harder to see. I'm not super into them in general but that stands out as something the other systems do not really offer, even though it is ultimately meaningless info.

I've long since given up being a completionist. My gaming time is limited as is, not going to waste it on hunting achievements when I could be playing something else.

Yeah I'd agree that WoW's weren't too bad because you could get mounts and such from them. Be neat if they did that with PS4/Xbox.

The Xbox achievements I probably like more than PS trophies now, since I like the rare ones that pop up randomly if you get one.

Or looking at the stats on achievements like Path of Exile's. Some of those have a ridiculously low rate for someone getting them.

Steam's are mostly pointless except for something like Tales of Maj'Eyal (or other roguelikes). As that really is a badge of honor to be able to do some of those feats. Not to mention Tales of Maj'Eyal has 1746 achievements. I've gotten 85 so far, lol.

Last edited:

PSFan

I don't really care about them, but they don't break my immersion either. When I finish a game, if I've unlocked more then half of the trophies, I'm usually compelled to platinum it though. DQ XI took it a step further, having in game accomplishments beyond all the trophies. They went a little crazy though, because there were sooo many. I platinumed the game, but there was no way I was ever going to get all those accomplishment, lol.

I don't know much about Nintendo's system, but I like achievements and trophies.
On the other hand, I hate people that say cheevo and platty to describe them.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Achievements & Gamerscore although I almost never make any effort to go after them I always like when they pop up. Like oooh I got another achievement. Dumb? Yes but I'm easily amused

Fbh

I've never cared about them.

The one thing I like about them is seeing what percentage of people have accomplished a specific task. When you beat a hard challenge or optional boss or something its fun to see what percentage of players have done so too

Last edited:

Dthomp

Trophies for me, love em. Always been a bigger fan of Sony systems, tried achievements but I find chasing little digital trophies more fun then just another 10 points towards a number total. That and the levels of trophy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
None.

The only time I purposely went after achievement points was finding all 30 intells in Call of Duty 4. Did it, got probably 50 pts(?). After that, I thought to myself.... what a waste of time.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
I platinum games that I care about (recently GOW and FFXV). Achivments have better account stat. system but platinum trophies are much more rewarding than 100/100 (wich is fucked further by DLC etc.)

Or two, in the case of Deadpool (PS3/4 versions also do this).

Hey Susurrus!

You are crazy awesome!! Two achievements only for starting the game. You must have around a hundred of platinium achievements.

hahah I think that all these stuff is very silly. Winmm two achievements just for start the game is a bad joke...

Next step- Platinium trophies just for buying the game or for check a gameplay on youtube.

Top Bottom