• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yep. So days gone expectedly did relatively bad compared to other Sony 1p games.

Ryu_Joestar

Its a shame really. Their original concept art looked very promising
tlyCNWm.jpg
Wow, how in the fuck they go from this to that mediocrity of a game?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
only last guardian and knack are first party here. rest are third party exclusives. I mean thats what two three games in an entire console generation?

not a whole lot to talk about. please do not make these silly list wars and have a bit more of a substance to your comments or trust me I won't see them again.
There's not a single 3rd party title there
Spiderman is not a paid 3rd party exclusive, it's a Licensed IP made under the Sony First Party label by an long term 2nd party independent developer
And Bloodbourne is developed by SIE Japan Studios in collaboration with From Software.
I agree Sony could put out some more genres, a RPG perhaps?
but If you don't want people making silly comments without substance you shouldn't do so yourself, this ain't reddit.

PaltrySimilarLcont-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Ian Henry

Meanwhile, in the real world...

Lack of diversity, uh-huh.

I didn't mean it in that way but I meant a majority are focused on 3rd Person Cinematic. Of course there are games like Medievil, Dreams, and Concrete Genie but I wish we just had alot of them alongside the 3rd Person games.

Last edited:
Wow, how in the fuck they go from this to that mediocrity of a game?

the Last of us is your answer. that was an open world game in the works. they canceled it when TLOU success in 2013 and began working on The last of us poor mans version. which says alot becasue TLOU already had bad gameplay. and naughty dog is like 300+ employees. not 100

I’m about to boot it up and play but I must agree with the op on the first party stuff...too many 3rd person action games this gen and most are single player experiences

Game diversity has not been a good thing on Sony or ms....Nintendo is probably the only one who really has a different 1st party lineup.

Not really, they make as many platformers as Sony do action adventures.

zwiggelbig

it is dear god it is. hate ign and gamespot. but thank god for ign and gamespot today. is good news for me someone that grew up with what playstation used to be which it is not what it is now anymore. ps1,ps2,ps3. you bought these to get all kind of cool exclusives. quirkly unexpected games and stuff to just enjoy by just looking at it.

nowdays you have to "appreciate" the "Story" and the "voice acting" and the "emotions" of the game for some reason. like I don't need that in every game. I can get that from movies and tv shows way better.

some of these are probably xbox or other fanboys that liked seeing it bomb anyway lol. but thats not me I just want my cool playstation exclusives again.

yes unfortunately the leadership has been inept for a while now since jack left. and it shows in the games uniqueness.
This is why breath of the wild was soooo good.. just so much fun in the gameplay

Not really, they make as many platformers as Sony do action adventures.

Main first party stuff that springs to mind

You have Zelda which is the benchmark game for 3rd person action adventure
Smash Bros -best mp and sp fighting game out at the moment
Splatoon (Multiplayer arena game)
Mario Kart (Driving/Arcade)
Mario Tennis (best tennis game since topspin 2)
Stardew Valley (terrific time wasting top down rpg)
Mario vs Rabbids (another guilty pleasure of a game)
Donkey kong country tropical freeze (its a remake of a wii game but one of the best platformers of all time)
New Super Mario Bros (its another remake of a brilliant game)
Super Mario Odyssey...dont really need to say anything about this game but its pick up and play brilliant

i grew up with Nintendo from my childhood and their first party stuff is on another level to the others...not saying the others are bad
but first party from Nintendo has always been diverse and fun.......both sony and MS are guilty of simply pumping out sequels or the same type of game

Mikey Jr.

Not happy that it bombed critically. Bombed might be harsh, but didn't stand among the other first party. 7 out of 10 is still ok.

But for me, I hate biker culture. I really dislike the protags name and look and his attitude. I hate that they are called freakers.

Dunno. Like, I look at Guerilla. They created this really really unique world. It had problems, but the setting and premise took it a long way.

So Bend can pretty much do anything, and the go with zombies and some dude named deacon st. john with a jean vest and neck tattoo and stupid oversized rings.....

This game just rubs me the wrong way. Still preordered it long ago, so I'll still play it. But it looked like a 7 the day they showed it off years ago.

Forcing Sony Bend to become AAA studio when they specialized in making smaller titles for PSP/Vita was mistake. Also I personally lost a lot of interest when I saw it's another zombie game.

Leave that to ND who mastered formula with TLOU and make something smaller but orginal.

wzy

I love it that this feels like a celebration for so many people lol

Not judging you OP, but surfing the web I'm seeing happiness because apparently the game bombed.

It looks completely miserable and boring to play and I'm absolutely thrilled that open world fatigue has spread to normie consumers... not that I think whatever the next fad is will be any better but one step at a time etc

Don't worry. I'm sure the Sony execs will make up for it on PS5 by getting one of their studios to work on another open world game with an even emptier map, even more zombies, and an even more generic protagonist.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Although I think GOW, Horizon and ND games are successful and fantastic and fit that cinematic , story driven mold... It's clear PlayStation has become overly focused on that type of game and they need games that are more lighthearted , cartooney or take a different approach to stylistic elements. A Cuphead, a Folklore, a Metroid-vania, a fun new platformer or Splatoon like multiplayer game. Hell, lots of people want Warhawk back...

Donkey kong country tropical freeze (its a remake of a wii game but one of the best platformers of all time)
Super Mario Odyssey...dont really need to say anything about this game but its pick up and play brilliant

i grew up with Nintendo from my childhood and their first party stuff is on another level to the others...not saying the others are bad
but first party from Nintendo has always been diverse and fun.......both sony and MS are guilty of simply pumping out sequels or the same type of game

I grew up with Nintendo as well and I'm not denying the quality of their stuff. (Personally I enjoy Sony's games just as much if not a tad more, albeit for different reasons. Though that's not really relevant to the thread)

But Nintendo are just as guilty at pumping out sequals as anyone else. How many Super Mario Bros game have we had? Mario Karts? Zelda games? Smash Bros etc.

P.S. Stardew Valley isn't a Nintendo game.

Last edited:
Woah, that was fast...No time to breathe huh, no time to let the dust settle.......It's a 7/10 game, it's not the worst scoring Sony game this gen......

I enjoyed 1886 and especially DC to no end....DG is an SP game with great graphics and addictive gameplay and more content to come at no extra price......Yeah, I'm there tbh.....Whatever jived with me about days gone when I first saw it, still does now.....
I think one thing you will hear quite a bit in Days Gone defense is that it's "FUN".........It seems anytime a game is torn to shreds by reviewers, it suddenly becomes the most "FUN" game in existence by a vocal few....I'm having fun man....Yet, these are the same posters crucifying the reviewers for their opinion.......At least the reviewers say why they are reviewing this game negatively.....Unlike persons just riding the funtrain, but can't articlualte why it's so........
🤭

Bryank75

Banned

Nintendo are vastly overrated, they charge way too much for their games and Switch as a console is so flimsy , it might as well be made of butter.
Zelda is always just a reimagining of the original concept and OoT will always be the best the series could be, it has never done anything imaginative story-wise.
Smash bros is the same game every generation , same deal with Mario Kart and Tennis. They are not serious fighting/sports games.
Donkey kong was an overpriced remaster of an already overpriced mediocre wii u game.
Odyssey was fun but not really anywhere near the level of Galaxy and Ratchet and Clank remake was more fun for me.

Anyway, your post sounded so condescending and smug I felt compelled to say something. Nintendo games are not diverse, they are all brightly coloured , cartooney, non-offensive games aimed at kids and separating as much money as they can from the parents of those kids.

Then there is Nintendos adult fans... who think it's cool to run around town every time an amiibo launches so they can buy all of them, keep one to use, one in plastic and sell the rest online for several times the RRP and so no actual kids can enjoy them....

Last edited:
It
People are thinking a 72 on metacritic is shit nowadays.

72 for a high budget game is shit. because that would be -20 points without the production value. which doesn't add a whole lot to many people.

they didn't hand a 72 for a A or AA eurojank game. they are handing that for a triple A high budget first party title.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
It

72 for a high budget game is shit. because that would be -20 points without the production value. which doesn't add a whole lot to many people.

they didn't hand a 72 for a A or AA eurojank game. they are handing that for a triple A high budget first party title.
I agree but according to opencritic it’s considered ‘Fair’.

B6804-AC0-BE5-B-4-AD6-A526-36930-FCBF9-C3.png

It looks completely miserable and boring to play and I'm absolutely thrilled that open world fatigue has spread to normie consumers... not that I think whatever the next fad is will be any better but one step at a time etc

Since when are reviewers the “normie consumer”? Let’s wait to see sales before making such statements.

This game looks exactly like what would been a perfect rental from Blockbuster back in the day, but not necessarily something you'd spend 60$ on.

Yes I know rentals are still a thing with something like Redbox, but not like during the peak days of Blockbuster.

DanielsM

Banned

Generally, high quality (polish) overrated, generation behind tech wise, with repetitive characters, gameplay, and sequels....with absolutely nothing to offer even the PG crowd, let alone mature audiences.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

That's bullshit. Production values receive virtually zero credit from today's jaded critics. Expectations are that every title needs to compete with the best in class and I can't remember the last time when I saw concessions made for a game not living up to them even when it was priced at a lower SRP than regular full-priced titles.

Whats really worth noting is how much variance there is in a game's review scores. Meta averages create the impression of a false consensus because a game with a divisive reception can end up with the same mean average as one with consistently mediocre scores.

Examining individual contributing scores is an interesting exercise when comparing Days Gone with Crackdown3. DG has massive variance (30 - 96) whereas C3 is much more homogeneous.

That's the difference between getting a mixed reception and a generally apathetic one.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Played a few hours and I'm not sure why it's received low scores, possibly 7/10 if it's gets repetitive and story is bad.
but it reminds me of The Walking Dead more then anything rather then a TLOU.

Three

It

Can you tell me the budget? Or is adding production value detrimental to a game now?

Last edited:

Three

the Last of us is your answer. that was an open world game in the works. they canceled it when TLOU success in 2013 and began working on The last of us poor mans version. which says alot becasue TLOU already had bad gameplay. and naughty dog is like 300+ employees. not 100
Those concepts leaked in mid 2014 so you're already making shit up. Even if you weren't how can you say that's better having just asked for Sony to create something colourful and not depressing. That concept art is the most depressing shit I've seen.

Last edited:
Nintendo are vastly overrated, they charge way too much for their games and Switch as a console is so flimsy , it might as well be made of butter.
Zelda is always just a reimagining of the original concept and OoT will always be the best the series could be, it has never done anything imaginative story-wise.
Smash bros is the same game every generation , same deal with Mario Kart and Tennis. They are not serious fighting/sports games.
Donkey kong was an overpriced remaster of an already overpriced mediocre wii u game.
Odyssey was fun but not really anywhere near the level of Galaxy and Ratchet and Clank remake was more fun for me.

Anyway, your post sounded so condescending and smug I felt compelled to say something. Nintendo games are not diverse, they are all brightly coloured , cartooney, non-offensive games aimed at kids and separating as much money as they can from the parents of those kids.

Then there is Nintendos adult fans... who think it's cool to run around town every time an amiibo launches so they can buy all of them, keep one to use, one in plastic and sell the rest online for several times the RRP and so no actual kids can enjoy them....

I wasn't talking about well built consoles or the price they charge for them or the games but since your going there ill bite.....ps4 is probably the worst out of the 3 when it comes to build quality
  • Ds4 thumsticks the peel or break
  • Ds4 triggers go to absolute shit after a couple of months
  • All 3 variations of the ps4 have the shittiest cooling solutions which require you having to game with headphones due to the noise
From a build quality point of view MS nailed it with all their variations and their consoles/controllers (apart from the first version which is way to fucking big)
the switch on the other hand functions for what its meant to do very well from a build quality...im not a fan of the tiny joycons but i do most of my gaming with the pro pads but its a portable console at an affordable price
as for the price they charge for the games...they have actually added things to their games outside of refined graphics and called it a day

Sony are probably the most guilty of all 3 re-releasing remastered games at full price with not much stuff added..MS took a different route with their enhanced BC games which are free updates

As for the actual games being cartoony and not serious people have different tastes in games but i certainly would not call smash bros a not very serious fighting game
i went in this gen never playing a smash bros game at all and i walked away with a new appreciation for the depth of the game which is something i have not seen in any fighter in the last 10 years

The point i was originally trying to make was that sony has been pumping out the same shit this gen and while they have been fun games....they are not the ones i come back to
i find myself picking up my switch to have a multiplayer battle with my son on smash or mario kart or jumping on forza Horizon on my xbox to collect some more cars...this is what Sony has been missing for me this gen..its a 1 trick pony

quickwhips

Meh. Just finished spiderman and hidden agenda. I'm still going to buy it. 99% of time Sony had and my taste in games are so different.

ZywyPL

Banned
Sony isn't as error proof as its fanboys use to convince as, anyone remembers KZ:SF? Knack? Infamous:SS? And so on. It's not like only MS creates average/medicore games every now and then, happens to everyone.

And as some here already suggested, maybe it's time for Sony to create something really new, rather than milking TLoF formula over and over again? Where are the shooters, racing games, platformers, etc? I want the PS3-Sony back :(

I hope Sony and MS do a better job next generation, because this one is coming to an end, and they both don't even hide they're not even trying for the current one.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I wonder if Sony’s check bounced The_Mike The_Mike ... ;).

because that would be -20 points without the production value

Highly debatable IMHO, that and the fact that good production values do not add to the experience.

Lots of the video here is spent noting how the good use fUE4 features and new enhancements Sony Bend made (not a huge mega studio either) do add to the environment look and feel and improve the overall atmosphere fitting the game narrative:

Instead of celebrating what a small team was allowed to make in the time they needed, here are the onspiracy theories that they were forced to make an open world zombie game to complement TLOU. Looking at the video above you see clearly a labour of love that a lot of other publishers would have not allowed the dev team to complete.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
I didn't mean it in that way but I meant a majority are focused on 3rd Person Cinematic. Of course there are games like Medievil, Dreams, and Concrete Genie but I wish we just had alot of them alongside the 3rd Person games.
How much is "a lot"? I just listed 6 and I was careful to only list ones out recently in 2019. Do you honestly think Sony have made more "3rd person cinematic action games" than anything else this gen? Because I can disprove that shit in 1 second.

It has nothing to do with "diversity" and everything to do with fanboy trolling/concern trolling. Sony's output this gen has been more diverse than MS & Nintendo and simply listing each platform holder's output shows that.

Last edited:
Itwas given a bad score becaused ign and gs wanted to see them Japanese school girls in skimpy cloths but bad guy sony took that away this is their revenge.

No this is not sarcasm

Top Bottom