• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yep. So days gone expectedly did relatively bad compared to other Sony 1p games.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I tell you guys since the E3. In first teaser that Days Gone is one of the worst exclusive games of Ps4 and probably the worst game of the year in AAA and only few ones believe me. Its better World War Z.

Xenon

Or not as overrated :messenger_winking_tongue: Sony is the king of cinematic polished games. This looks like it's not up to their fans expectations.

Silent Duck

I hope this is a wake up call for Sony to make games for everyone to enjoy and not the person thats looking for depression inducing. mak something colorful and fun again. or something hyper realistic.
I think you are overestimating (current) Sony a bit.
shrug_idk-DMID1-5cemr5rzn-498x278.gif

FranXico

I love it that this feels like a celebration for so many people lol

Not judging you OP, but surfing the web I'm seeing happiness because apparently the game bombed.
70-something on OpenCritic right now, I'd say it's just average. Personally, I might give it a shot whenever it goes on sale.

To be fair, the game was not setting the world on fire leading to launch either. Nobody was that hyped before, nor are they surprised now.
There was some hope that the gameplay would get more fleshed out, but it seems to have remained repetitive regardless.

Vawn

Banned
I thought all media sites gave automatic good scores to PlayStation and Nintendo games and bad scores to Xbox games.

So does this mean all those highly rated PS4/Switch games were actually good?

Nah. I'm sure Sony's checks to reviewers just bounced.

Last edited:

Ian Henry

it is dear god it is. hate ign and gamespot. but thank god for ign and gamespot today. is good news for me someone that grew up with what playstation used to be which it is not what it is now anymore. ps1,ps2,ps3. you bought these to get all kind of cool exclusives. quirkly unexpected games and stuff to just enjoy by just looking at it.

nowdays you have to "appreciate" the "Story" and the "voice acting" and the "emotions" of the game for some reason. like I don't need that in every game. I can get that from movies and tv shows way better.

some of these are probably xbox or other fanboys that liked seeing it bomb anyway lol. but thats not me I just want my cool playstation exclusives again.

yes unfortunately the leadership has been inept for a while now since jack left. and it shows in the games uniqueness.
PREACH. PlayStation used to be very diverse back in the days but now it's all homogeneous unfortunately.

I bought this on a Target buy 2 get 1 free deal with DMCV and MK11. I really enjoyed DMC and love the game play of the new MK (its a good fighting game, ignoring the MTX/grind issue). I guess I can go into Days Gone with an attitude of just trying to have fun since the I made my moneys worth on the other 2 games.

Fbh

I don't agree with the idea that all Sony games are the same or that they follow a formula. Bloodborne, God of War, Uncharted, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2 and Horizon all feel pretty different to me even though, yeah, they are in third person and can be put into the very wide and vaguely defined "action adventure" genre.

With that said, Days gone always felt kinda unnecessary. Sony already has a big Zombie franchise with a sequel on the way and I agree that the money they spent on this could have gone to something more unique.

The timing of the announcement was also off. This is the sort of game that should have released like a year after announcement. In quality and scope it just doesn't seem like the sort of project you announce several years in advance and show at like 3 E3's. In that sense I think it's similar to Crackdown 3

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
So it's a standard 7/10. It always looked like it to me and I never was interested in it personally.

Now watch it sell millions, lmao.

Review scores largely mean nothing to me. Many of my favorite games don’t get the 10/10 a RDR2 got.

In fact, many of my big disappointments are well reviewed games and movies... GTA4& TLJ.
gta 4 was the most disappointing video game of all time for me

gta sa is my favorite gta. and top 3 games of all time for me. then we get GTA 4. i guess thats what happens when you pay for hotel stays and cool perks to reviwers. they give you a 98 or 97 for a mediocre gta game.

inb4 sony makes days gone a permanent franchise.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Review scores largely mean nothing to me. Many of my favorite games don’t get the 10/10 a RDR2 got.

In fact, many of my big disappointments are well reviewed games and movies... GTA4& TLJ.

Man if I had a dollar for every time I wanted to throw the remote through the TV for seeing certified fresh on movies before I rented, then scratched my head on how these stoners can think that movie had any type of good plot or acting?

Well, I would have a lot of dollars, that’s what. And vice/versa.

Last edited:

Klayzer

I love it that this feels like a celebration for so many people lol

Not judging you OP, but surfing the web I'm seeing happiness because apparently the game bombed.
Called it. Reviews matter again all of a sudden. Sales will also matter again if Xbox wins a NPD.

wipeout364

I don’t understand why it is assumed every Sony game will be amazing. Who are these people that think this? 7/10 is a very reasonable score, I think Sony have had great and diverse output this gen Spider-Man , Knack, Bloodborne, God of War, Detroit, Drive Club, Horizon, Infamous, little big planet 3, the order and others
If you look at that list Sony only knocks it out of the park maybe 40% of the time.

Meh3D

I don’t understand. How can a game bomb when its not even out yet. The OP reads like they wanted this one to fail. How else can you be that eagered to conclude a game “bombed” prior to release?

Can we at least wait for the next NPD to start the confirmation bias and go on rants then?

gta 4 was the most disappointing video game of all time for me

gta sa is my favorite gta. and top 3 games of all time for me. then we get GTA 4. i guess thats what happens when you pay for hotel stays and cool perks to reviwers. they give you a 98 or 97 for a mediocre gta game.

inb4 sony makes days gone a permanent franchise.

GTA IV was and will always be a 7th generation open-world masterpiece that truly raised the bar for open-world games at the time of its release. It deserves that score and whether you found it boring or not, it's still a bonafide masterpiece.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I thought all media sites gave automatic good scores to PlayStation and Nintendo games and bad scores to Xbox games.

So does this mean all those highly rated PS4/Switch games were actually good?

Nah. I'm sure Sony's checks to reviewers just bounced.
And look at those dislikes on anyone who didnt like it. Apparently, IGN matters only when they give a high score. Suddenly, Metacritic does not matter anymore.

SonGoku

Every game you mention there is a third person action game. That is not diversity. The only strand of a point you have is there are a few third person platformers in there....
What!? so they should be first person instead? fuck that.
Just because they share the same camera perspective doesn't make it the same genre, none of those play even remotely close nor do they share any mechanics.

All games are action based even mario, unless its strategy/turn based, so not really sure what you are trying to say there budd, unless there's sarcasm i missed?

Last edited:

Terenty

Just compare Ps2 to Ps4: mgs 2, mgs 3, ico, shadow of colossus, silent hill 2, all these games are fucking classics and all of them not like the others, even mgs 2 and 3. And what does Ps4 have? The only game i legit consider worthwhile is Until Dawn. Everything else is either mediocre or shit.

SonGoku

Just compare Ps2 to Ps4: mgs 2, mgs 3, ico, shadow of colossus, silent hill 2, all these games are fucking classics and all of them not like the others, even mgs 2 and 3. And what does Ps4 have? The only game i legit consider worthwhile is Until Dawn. Everything else is either mediocre or shit.
ground zeroes, mgs5, death stranding, sotc remake, the last guardian, Boodborne, Sekiro

I'll concede its a damn shame about Silent Hill, the moment a western dev touched it, it died.

Last edited:

Terenty

ground zeroes, mgs5, death stranding, sotc remake, the last guardian, Boodborne, Sekiro

I'll concede its a damn shame about Silent Hill, the moment a western dev touched it, it died.

Im talking strictly exclusives. Yeah, Silent hill 2 wasnt ps exclusive,my bad, but nevertheless all the other games i mentioned were. And imho there's nothing on the same level on ps4.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
There's no wake up call needed. You're just looking to point out anything negative in regards to Sony, which you are known for doing.

SonGoku

Im talking strictly exclusives. Yeah, Silent hill 2 wasnt ps exclusive,my bad, but nevertheless all the other games i mentioned were. And imho there's nothing on the same level on ps4.
mgs2 wasn't exclusive either
mgs3 i can't remember

Dontero

Banned
I wouldn't call it flop. IT gets around 70 which is still considered good game.
Most of the issues are with bugs from what i read.

I think not many people expected this being open world game and i think a lot of confusion about what it is caused a lot of negative press.

Imho it will sell 2-3mln which should be enough for Bend.

Top Bottom