• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YO. HAWKGUY. BRO.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
What comics should I read starting from issue 1 after that new marvel/dc rebooting bullshit whatever stuff they did last year or the year before or whenever?

This? Daredevil? What else???

The Manhattan Projects & Hawkeye are all you need

Nesotenso

What comics should I read starting from issue 1 after that new marvel/dc rebooting bullshit whatever stuff they did last year or the year before or whenever?

marvel hasn't had a reboot. my advice is to anyone is always to pick creators you like and their well regarded runs on a book.

I am far away to be an US comic expert, but I highly recommend from the Marvel Now series following comics:
Avengers, Hawkeye, Thor: God Of Thunder, Uncanny X-Men and Captain America. I enjoy all of them and each of them has a great art style in my opinion. :)

Best comics right now aside from this are All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, The Manhattan Projects, Captain America and Aquaman.

I would say Batman Inc. and Winter Soldier but they are coming to an end in the next few months so it may be better to just read those in trade paperback form.

The only problem with this is that I don't like X-Men, I see no one recommending Uncanny Avengers, why's that? Also how many Avengers books are running right now

Finished the first two issues and I'm really digging the artwork. Really simple and clean look.

Same. Really liking it. Want these physical as well, but I'm happy to support it digitally until then. Didn't realize I was a Hawkeye fan until now, but I'm sold (it was his coffee scene in Issue 2 that did it).

Acid08

Banned
Same. Really liking it. Want these physical as well, but I'm happy to support it digitally until then. Didn't realize I was a Hawkeye fan until now, but I'm sold (it was his coffee scene in Issue 2 that did it).
Issue 3 is about to be your favorite. That's the issue that turns everyone into a super fan.

Out of Marvel, my top picks would be Daredevil, Hawkeye, Wolverine & The X-Men, Thor, Captain Marvel, and maybe Young Avengers.

I'd also absolutely recommend IDW's Ghostbusters and TMNT. They're both phenomenal.

Issue 3 is about to be your favorite. That's the issue that turns everyone into a super fan.

If it involves more Clint getting bloodied up and this:
Ji8eZqN.png
then he'll be my favorite forever. :D

Magni

I've been thinking of getting back into comics lately, so I searched Hawkeye on the Kindle store. Not what I expected

I'be never really read Marvel or DC comics though, I grew up on Tintin, Astérix, Marsipulami, and other French-language comics. It's not like I need to catch up to understand this Hawkeye Vol. 4 series though, right?

I've been thinking of getting back into comics lately, so I searched Hawkeye on the Kindle store. Not what I expected

I'be never really read Marvel or DC comics though, I grew up on Tintin, Astérix, Marsipulami, and other French-language comics. It's not like I need to catch up to understand this Hawkeye Vol. 4 series though, right?

Nope. Just start reading and enjoy. Don't worry at all about any other Marvel comic. It seems to be staying away from all those big events and tie-ins that other Marvel/DC comics seem to suffer from. It's just Hawkguy on his days off.

I read in an interview that there was one issue of Hawkeye that was pitched as a tie-in to some recent event... and the entire issue was just Clint, locked in a closet, slowly bleeding to death. Marvel was like, "Uh... you know what, it's okay, don't worry about tie-ins" Let me find that interview.

Edit: Ah, here it is:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/comics/hawkeye-scribe-matt-fraction-maybe-comics-be-less-comic-y/#/0

HC: It’s Clint Barton-focused, so things like the upcoming “Age of Ultron” and the rest of the Avengers business is not in the book much.

MF: Yeah. That wasn’t deliberate or anything. This was just, “This is what he does when he’s not an Avenger. This is what Hawkeye does on Thursday afternoon.” I came up with an idea for an “Age of Ultron” tie-in, but it’s all locked. My idea was going to be him locked in a room … and he’s mortally wounded. That was it. A depressing 20 pages where Clint Barton is just bleeding out. I don’t know why they didn’t go for it! The Fantastic Four “Age of Ultron” tie-in that I wrote is the most depressing comic I’ve ever written. It was my fifth “Fantastic Four” issue, and I was like “This is bleak.” It was really weird.

Rest of the interview's a pretty decent read if you're interested.

Acid08

Banned

All you need to know is he's an Avenger with no super powers who shoots arrows real good.

I was reading Secret Avengers the other day and saw that happen again.

I don't know which of them came first, but I love that it's now become a character trait for him.

Agreed. I'm completely charmed by heroes doing mundane stuff like that, and it really tickles me when it's coffee related (as a fellow addict). The man even has toe holes in his socks. The little details just make it. <3

"Aw, coffee, no..."

LYWb4dU.png

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Matt Fraction's done a few "walkthroughs" of a couple of the issues explaining little details and so on, quite good reads. Spoilers, obviously.

Issue 5
Issue 6
Issue 8

Couldn't find any others, hopefully he keeps this up though as they're pretty interesting to read.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The only problem with this is that I don't like X-Men, I see no one recommending Uncanny Avengers, why's that? Also how many Avengers books are running right now

UA is kinda polarizing. I personally hate the narration, and sometimes the art is kinda lazy but some people really enjoy it and Rick Remender does have a solid track record.

I was thinking of ordering the first Hawkeye, Iron Fist and Manhattan Projects trades. Any other recommendations?

Damn, you're gonna be pretty much filled to the brim with quality. If you want to start a third ongoing series (along with Hawkeye and The Manhattan Projects) I'll have to suggest Saga. Between those three series' you'll be having a ball every time a new trade drops.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, Saga is great. I second that, as will a thousand other people. Seems like there are a number of great comics out at the moment, it's good.

why don't they just sell the TPB in the first fucking place? and then make it smaller and black and white and sell it for $7? that would be nice.

why don't they just sell the TPB in the first fucking place? and then make it smaller and black and white and sell it for $7? that would be nice.

Because enough people are emotionally invested in floppies that companies haven't had to find a way to make trade-first releases financially viable yet.

Junpei Heat

I do think it's kinda odd that people would go to a specialty store every week and spend 3-4 dollars on a book that they can read in 5-15 minutes. Trades make more sense, like they have more value especially if they have extras.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I do think it's kinda odd that people would go to a specialty store every week and spend 3-4 dollars on a book that they can read in 5-15 minutes. Trades make more sense, like they have more value especially if they have extras.

Comic books, like baseball cards, are also objects. Collectible and tactile.

Acid08

Banned
Because it's fun? And I don't like waiting to read my books.

Plus I get to support a local shop run by nice, passionate people.

It's more to do with keeping up with stories you enjoy. Otherwise you'd only be catching up every six months or so.

Guevara

I agree. Even trades are kind of a bad deal, $15 for something I read through in an afternoon. Its all relative I guess.

Top Bottom