• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoko Taro (Nier Automata) Addresses the 2B butt controversy

killatopak

I have played the demo for the first time today, after hesitating for the longest time to do so.

I have no knowledge of Taro's work, never played Drakengard or the previous Nier, and all I knew was that it would be weird and action Jrpg ish.
All the talk about the sexualized/ fetish stuff was not really enticing me either tbh.

Result?
It went on my radar from a "maybe, if reviews are raving about it" to "F* yeah! Wh... Where have you been all my life?"

The design is glorious, gameplay fantastic, music score left me wanting for more and the setting and atmosphere really clicked for me.
Not seeing anything objectionable, I let the kids watch through after they were drawn in by the music and sound effects, and we all went from one jaw drop wtf moment to another, until is was over too soon.

Everybody needs to play that F*ing demo. This game, if it is anythng like or better than its demo, will be goty material for me.

P.S: I did not notice any butts.

P.P.S: I have played the demo 3 times, and need to get back in FFXV (my Xmas present) but it's all I think about hehe

Congrats. I was blown away as well as the combat was the only beef I had with yoko's games.

Gbraga

I've never played or heard of Nier before now tbh but the female protag really reminded me of a female Riku from KH2 with the blindfold (for some reason?) and shoulder length white hair.
and a nicer butt

You really should play Nier, anime boy. It's brilliant. One of the best games of the PS360 era.

killatopak

as long as 2b trips on her heels

over their pants

image.php

trejo

All I know is that I always feel a great deal of sadness for people who cannot appreciate the way Yoshida draws thighs. It truly is no way to live.

...people need to understand that if you can't debate subjects properly or come out swinging hyper judgmental all it does is fuel the fire... People are defensive about their beliefs, lifestyles, and hobbies, it's who they are as a person. You have to be able to... try to see where they are coming from and so on. Someone could be 100% in the wrong about something but if you don't treat them like a human being, even if you feel they don't deserve it or they don't return the favor, you can't ever get someone to change their mind on something or even consider others feelings...

I think this point is very much worth considering, as I suggested elsewhere.

Ralemont

not me
I actively campaign for equal representation of genders and non-sexualization of women in games where I feel it makes sense to. I don't ask niche anime games for otakus to change what they're doing because I think it's okay for those games to exist for their particular demo (except pedo games).

Accordingly, show all the ass you want, Taro.

Maxim726X

Thought I'd ask here as I don't wish to make a separate thread- Are there any plans to make Nier backwards compatible on the 360?

Was it even available as a digital title?

All this talk about some butt and no one has posted a gif or picture of this supposed scandal.

There is no scandal. People saw a butt and went "heh nice" and then someone photoshopped an asshole or something.

This game will be a wakeup call for people who've never played a Yoko Taro game if 2b is anything like the other female leads in DoD1/3/Nier

Audioboxer

Thought I'd ask here as I don't wish to make a separate thread- Are there any plans to make Nier backwards compatible on the 360?

It would make great sense to push for it if they're not going to do an HD "remaster". No plans that I know of though. Nier sales on the 360 are probably pretty bad.

killatopak

It was only available on disc. No dd as far as I'm aware.

Patiently waiting for ps plus or gfg to release this.

Kilau

So I realized since I have finished TLG already, I can handle staring at a butthole for several hours. I'm going to go download this demo now.

killatopak

So I realized since I have finished TLG already, I can handle staring at a butthole for several hours. I'm going to go download this demo now.

Great decision.

I really want more people to play the demo for yoko's and pg's puny sales' sake.

Taro doesn't really do mainstream when the first game he directed took on the all too typical "brother and sister romance" and "super passive lady" shtick common in other mediums in japan and took a knife to it, literally. He mentioned Furiae was his and his teams most loathed character, that he hated everything about her passive nature, that he found her boring and such. Furiae was even based on another character that was the original critique for this sort of character, that ironically became popular in her own right despite the authors intentions, Rei Ayanami from evangelion.

People have already described Zero from drakengard 3. Zero is like a more fucked up version of Kratos and her posies of manslaves include literally every stereotypical age and temperament group in media .

The dude likes asses, no denying. But like Kamitami the actual text and context of the games puts women in a pretty good spot. Way better than most do actually.

Yeah, no one quite does female characters like Taro. I've always wanted a female equivalent of Trevor in GTA, and I think Zero is the closest. Taro's female characters are flawed, vile, angry, brave, funny, confident, and both Kaine and Zero go through a ton of character development. It's so refreshing to see/play female characters that don't have to be likeable. This wasn't the article I was originally looking for, but it's a nice assessment on Zero as a character, and Drakengard 3.

Playing as Zero is a really rare female power fantasy, and I think the Kratos comparison is quite apt. I do wish Taro's female characters weren't automatically so sexualised in their design (I think the heels annoy me more than anything), but the writing and gameplay more than make up for it. I'm really looking forward to seeing what kinds of character arcs both 2B and A2 go on, especially since we've seen so little of A2.

...it'll probably be traumatizing. I'm preparing to send Taro my therapy bills in advance.

Ok this thread has convinced me to finally start Drakengard 3. Do I need a strategy guide to get all the endings like with Drakengard 1? Because that shit was a nightmare. Or is it more simple like Nier

Really like Taro's joking response. To be honest this isn't even a "controversy" lol. I've only seen a couple of people on NeoGAF be mad about the character designs and such. Personally I really like them, especially the simplistic color scheme of white and black.

Played through the demo like seven times already and the game can't come fast enough. Definitely buying the digital Japanese version if it has English text and voices, which the demo does so hopefully. This will be the first Yoko Taro game I play at launch and I'm looking forward to all of the story discussions that will pop up once everyone gets their hands on it.

Ok this thread has convinced me to finally start Drakengard 3. Do I need a strategy guide to get all the endings like with Drakengard 1? Because that shit was a nightmare. Or is it more simple like Nier

More simple. You'll unlock story paths and you proceed down those to unlock the endings. Don't forget to get all of the weapons

More simple. You'll unlock story paths and you proceed down those to unlock the endings. Don't forget to get all of the weapons

But will I need a guide to get all the weapons or is it not hard? Because in Drakengard 1 some of the criteria require a guide, like examining the paintings or standing in an area for twenty minutes

What bothers me about her design isn't the exposed ass. That's fine.

It's the stupid blind folds. I don't get it? Is there a reason for it? It's so damn derpy.

Top Bottom