• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoko Taro (Nier Automata) Addresses the 2B butt controversy

But will I need a guide to get all the weapons or is it not hard? Because in Drakengard 1 some of the criteria require a guide, like examining the paintings or standing in an area for twenty minutes

Not really. All of the weapons in D3 are:

1. In a stage
2. In a side mission
3. Purchased from the shop

Stages aren't complex either so you should have no problem.
There's no dumb BS like "Wait in a stage for 20min"

What bothers me about her design isn't the exposed ass. That's fine.

It's the stupid blind folds. I don't get it? Is there a reason for it? It's so damn derpy.

beep boop emotions are prohibited

Not really. All of the weapons in D3 are:

1. In a stage
2. In a side mission
3. Purchased from the shop

Stages aren't complex either so you should have no problem.
There's no dumb BS like "Wait in a stage for 20min"

Ok. Will it tell me which ones have weapons remaining in them?

But will I need a guide to get all the weapons or is it not hard? Because in Drakengard 1 some of the criteria require a guide, like examining the paintings or standing in an area for twenty minutes

Find every chest. There are three in like every stage and there's a counter. Fulfill most of Accord's requests too. Those are the ridiculous ones but nothing like Drakengard 1's portrait hell or 99999999 magic-immune enemies.

Squire

Banned
I mean, they're also meant to evoke the "blind samurai" trope, so that's the stylistic appeal of them. Past that, Yeah, they're just visors.

Ran rp

2f6d7a929cb394d68136546bc810579561c94542_hq.gif

edit: WRONG THREAD LMAO

Yeah that's where we'll just have to disagree at a base level. I don't think "progressive" is an inherently good quality as much as it's... a view. It certainly doesn't change my perception if something is deemed as progressive or not, nor will I never think that's an essential quality to, well, anything

Neither would pandering to otakus.

That's pretty much your assumption. Seeing Yoko Taro's other works I'd say this is more something he wanted to do.

It comes from both, a creator never has 100% creative control over a project nor is he absolutely forced to create something incredibly specific. Granted a big budget mainstream game can absolutely have an auteur like feel to it. Say a project like TLOU. Honestly this industry is so very starved of auteurs compared to the movie industry that people latch onto anything even remotely auteur like. Even if that work is not that good at all. Like Drakengard 3.

Pressure for progressive views in every game will just lead to half-assed efforts that are just made to save face. I haven't played TLOU but I never saw it being perceived as... auteur.

I'd seriously chock it up to the gameplay more so than the characters. In fact, by design the characers are incredibly archetypical and have no depth whatsoever, this makes it a lot easier to project, hence Dorita Queen D.Va and psychopathic Mei.

I think you're underestimating a lot the visual appeal of these characters but eh I don't think this is going anywhere

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah that's where we'll just have to disagree at a base level. I don't think "progressive" is an inherently good quality as much as it's... a view. It certainly doesn't change my perception if something is deemed as progressive or not, nor will I never think that's an essential quality to, well, anything
Considering the lack of faults for being progressive yes being progressive is an inherently good quality. How is it not? How is better representation and equality not an inherent positive? The fuck...

That's pretty much your assumption. Seeing Yoko Taro's other works I'd say this is more something he wanted to do.
That's fine and dandy, but there is an inherent pressure to add these things to appeal to otaku. There still is an inherent pressure to add these things due to execs who think appealing to the male gaze is the only way to make a profit, (where it actually does the opposite).

Pressure for progressive views in every game will just lead to half-assed efforts that are just made to save face. I haven't played TLOU but I never saw it being perceived as... auteur.
Maybe you should play the last of us then. Because it absolutely has a more auteur like feel compared to similar games, right down to the theme.

Dio

Banned
Even if that work is not that good at all. Like Drakengard 3.

D3 was an awesome game, sadly it was made on such a shitty tiny budget that the enemy variety is really small, there are horrible performance problems, and the game doesn't look that great. It probably has one of my favorite hack and slash combat systems, honestly - Intoner Mode feels fucking amazing thematically and gameplay wise, and real time switching weapons made for really robust and satisfying gameplay situations with chaining spear combos/swords/etc together. Storywise, I actually preferred what it did to Nier, it was a lot more daring IMO. Drakengard's the series where Taro really goes all out and meta as fuck, Nier had a lot larger mainstream appeal and was more pedestrian in comparison.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That's fine and dandy, but there is an inherent pressure to add these things to appeal to otaku. There still is an inherent pressure to add these things due to execs who think appealing to the male gaze is the only way to make a profit, (where it actually does the opposite).

Well you could make the same argument both ways tbh. What if the creator didn't want to put in or alter his vision to be more progressive but execs forced him to. That's just as bad in the long run. This is super super super uncommon but honestly I don't like it on either side of the fence. just let the dudes make their stuff and put their vision out. But most are getting too scared of bad press or have been relying too much on focus groups and every little bit one direction or the other changed for the masses out of fear of not selling hurts the original vision of a product. Some things get lost and things become more of the same.

Dio

Banned
Well you could make the same argument both ways tbh. What if the creator didn't want to put in or alter his vision to be more progressive but execs forced him to. That's just as bad in the long run. This is super super super uncommon but honestly I don't like it on either side of the fence. just let the dudes make their stuff and put their vision out. But most are getting too scared of bad press or have been relying too much on focus groups and every little bit one direction or the other changed for the masses out of fear of not selling hurts the original vision of a product. Some things get lost and things become more of the same.

Honestly, the genesis of this project is that the production guy behind Nier Automata, Takashi Taura, is a huge fucking Yoko Taro fanboy and went to him for making this game. They're all respecting his word for the creation of this title - Taro is not being pressured to appeal to otaku, and suits are not forcing him to do anything.

In fact, Taro's really happy with his team members doing what he wants them to do. He even said in an interview that it gives him more time to get drunk, and since he makes his best work when he's drunk, that's great for all of us.

I don't think bringing executives and focus testing into the conversation is relevant here. This is a passion project.

Maxinas

I only hope that when the OT comes around, people actually discuss the game, instead of posting screenshots of 2B's ass in various angles and environments.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Honestly, the genesis of this project is that the production guy behind Nier Automata, Takashi Taura, is a huge fucking Yoko Taro fanboy and went to him for making this game. They're all respecting his word for the creation of this title - Taro is not being pressured to appeal to otaku, and suits are not forcing him to do anything.

In fact, Taro's really happy with his team members doing what he wants them to do. He even said in an interview that it gives him more time to get drunk, and since he makes his best work when he's drunk, that's great for all of us.

I don't think bringing executives and focus testing into the conversation is relevant here. This is a passion project.

Oh I know it's a passion project that's what makes this great, hell that's what makes a lot of indie games great too tbh.

DVCY201

I only hope that when the OT comes around, people actually discuss the game, instead of posting screenshots of 2B's ass in various angles and environments.

Gonna post screenshots discussing the game with said butt shots now, thanks /jk

Honestly, I just love the outfit. I think it's great looking

Dio

Banned
Oh I know it's a passion project that's what makes this great, hell that's what makes a lot of indie games great too tbh.

Yeah, I'm just saying because there are idiots who keep spouting that any sexualization, including 2B's design, must be thanks to pandering to otaku or whatever. News flash - this isn't a AAA game and it's not being headed by executive suits focus testing towards certain demographics. It's a team of Yoko Taro fans finally getting to work on a project that Takashi Taura asked Taro about making, with Yoshida making designs based on very loose descriptions from Taro.

killatopak

Hahahahah

You wish.

But of course there' gonna be a lot of discussion with regards to the story since this is a yoko taro game. Just be prepared for the twists and endings.

v0yce

TLOU is a really safe pick for authorship in games.

So who is the auteur?

Druckmann? I don't see where the story is doing anything terribly unique.

Straley? Again, I don't see an overly unique vision to the game design and UC4 certainly doesn't feel unique from the previous entries. I can't see how you'd call him an auteur.

Just Naughty Dog in general? Maybe, I guess? But I think of auteur as a singular, personal thing.

The Last of Us is great because it just does everything better and more polished than most of it's competition, but it doesn't strike me as something that could only come from the mind of one person.

I love TLOU but I wouldn't consider it "auteur" at all.
It's a fine game, but it's basically "The Road" with a bazillion videogame conventions like guns and stealth kills, mixed with a wikipedia entry on cordyceps.

Or at least, most would probably agree it's an incredibly conventional and unchallenging narrative compared to trying to understand the context of this:

drakengard.gif

Dio

Banned
Hahahahah

You wish.

But of course there' gonna be a lot of discussion with regards to the story since this is a yoko taro game. Just be prepared for the twists and endings.

This.

Here's what we know about Automata so far:

Red eyes, Cult of the Watchers/3 eyed Gemini. Very, very, possible Drakengard 1 connection thanks to this short shot in the character trailer.

It will be over, or well over, 25 hours
It has sidequests and it's possible just like the original that certain endings will require doing said sidequests
Boar riding is back
Boar DRIFTING is back:
Moose riding has been introduced
There are several abilities similar to the original Nier's, but are 'recreated' by 2B's pod so they're a weird future version of the magic.
There are multiple weapons, including lances, swords and fist weapons (as we've seen in trailers and the like) similar to the original Nier
There are side-scrolling segments like the original Nier
There are towns and townspeople, and the world is "open" with dungeon-like areas kind of like OoT and the original Nier.

And this:

acsbwBx.jpg

What’s more interesting is in DOD, DOD2, and NieR the letters’ order is usually random. But in DOD3 they’re synchronized. What I mean by synchronized is their order is based on nucliobases correct pairing. On DNA, A paired with T and C paired with G. In DOD3, the letters order is ATCG which is correct.

http://rologeass.tumblr.com/post/73676488142/in-depth-with-drakengards-world-language-and

Drakengard 1, after Furiae
is reborn.

7FRzPfC.jpg

Nier, in the Black Scrawl.

D3KNdax.jpg

Drakengard 3, on all the Utahime's seals in boss fights.

uJc7FC9.jpg

Squire

Banned
The demo thread wasn't safe from this either. Thankfully we quelled that once more people got to play it outside of JP PSN.

Can't say the same for other sites.

I wasn't implying there weren't posts like that, I was implying that wasn't the majority of the thread. There isn't a 60+ page thread of screenshots and art of 2b's ass.

Maxinas

Why not both

Don't misunderstand, not saying there shouldn't be any at all. Past few weeks the threads on /v/ have been an absolute shitfest because all people do is talk about her ass, i find it annoying rather than offensive. I know threads on gaf are slighty more civil in some cases, so there's that.

Dio

Banned
I know everyone complains about this fight, but I legitimately loved it. The visuals are just so good

It also has one of the best songs in the game.

I loved how 'fuck you' this was.

I also love that Yoko Taro, when asked why that boss was so much 'fuck you,' simply said, 'Well, it's the final boss, isn't it?'

Top Bottom