• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee becomes fastest video game project to hit $1 million on Kickstarter

takoyaki

First Kickstarter I backed in over a year, this looked liked it had potential because of the people involved and the way they rolled out footage, but those numbers are pretty amazing. Congrats Playtonic! And please don't fuck it up, the 3D platformer revival needs to happen ;)

Fantastic.

More than noticing 3D platformers, I hope publishers realize that there IS a market for mid-budget games out there, for as much as they think it's only AAA or Indie, it's not...

Either way, best of luck to Playtonic and everyone involved in the project.

They seem happy about it.
yooka_laylee_happy_by_digi_matrix-d8rs5va.gif

Sealtest

my first ever kickstarter and i'm proud that it is!

I do wish I could've pledged more then £30 but money is tight and the Canadian dollar is terrible.

RdN

I'm really happy that it'll definitely hit the 1 million needed to launch simultaneously on consoles.

Can't wait to play.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I helped and I had a happy face when doing it. <(^_^)>

Now if only I could get my money back from the Mighty No 9, that was a mistake and I have lost all interest.

They never left on Nintendo systems.

Still, I wish I had cash to spare for this.

The only 3D platformer that is currently on the Wii U is Super Mario 3D World, while the rest are 2D side scoller.

After Rare's developers killed them with Donkey Kong 64, it's appropriate those same people would be the ones to bring the genre back.

I would say it's due to the crappy platformer that we had during the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube days that killed it.

King_Moc

Banned
Backed and am super happy for them. The buzz around this has really brought me round to how kickstarter can be a really positive force in the games industry.

I helped and I had a happy face when doing it. <(^_^)>

Now if only I could get my money back from the Mighty No 9, that was a mistake and I have lost all interest.

The only 3D platformer that is currently on the Wii U is Super Mario 3D World, while the rest are 2D side scoller.

Sonic

hawk2025

The best thing about 3D platformers, for me, is that I always enjoyed the mid-range, low-budget ones, so it was a pleasure to play through even the less well-regarded games in the genre.

Ty The Tasmanian Tiger, for one. Had a blast with that one, warts and all.

The series was revived under Microsoft Studios as 2D game, unfortunately, and it didn't even get an Xbox One version :(

Amazing. I backed as soon as I heard, within 15 minutes of the Kickstarter going live, not a moments hesitation. This is just wonderful, and I hope sends a message to the industry at large that there is a market for these kind of games.

I've so missed proper 3D platformers, even Nintendo barely makes them anymore, and even then with very 2D platforming sensibilities, so the fact that this is so successful, and that an almost reincarnated Rare are behind it, is just bloody brilliant.

It would've raised 1 million faster if not for everyone being too busy listening to David 'Fucking' Wise
That song is really something else
Grant's song is not joke either. Tickles my nostalgia bone quite a bit

-MD-

Fantastic.

More than noticing 3D platformers, I hope publishers realize that there IS a market for mid-budget games out there, for as much as they think it's only AAA or Indie, it's not...

Either way, best of luck to Playtonic and everyone involved in the project.

Well this is an indie game but I get what you mean, the industry is definitely lacking in mid-tier games. Seems like it's either all or nothing, rarely inbetween.

I'm noticing this is a first kickstarter backing for a lot of people. That's a good sign. I knew this project would succeed but not by this much.

Lijik

But 3d platformers are dead.

This proves people who made a beloved game in your childhood can get funding for another one of those, something kickstarter has proven ten times over, more than it proves the sustainability of 3d platformers

Like im happy this game is funding gangbusters but the only new blood runaway success story is a hat in time a few years back, and thats disappointing to me. I want to see more new people cut their teeth on this genre

This proves people who made a beloved game in your childhood can get funding for another one of those, something kickstarter has proven ten times over, more than it proves the sustainability of 3d platformers

Not necessarily, its too soon to really say either way, you can't say for sure that it has sustainability or not since its not out just like naysayers tried to claim there was no demand for collectathons because there were none being made, until this hits retail and we see what people outside of enthusiasts think its too soon to say. I think it has alot of potential and that its the beginning of a resurgence of collectathons since there was never any legit reason to stop making them other than copying COD for guaranteed money in their eyes. I'm sure it'll be successful outside of fans because it's gameplay is unique in todays gaming landscape.

I wonder if this will shut people up that use that crazy argument that "the AAA publisher model is the only way to make games."

There are people that argue this on GAF.

Congrats Rare fans!

Hmm wonder if they can add another stretch for when they hit £1 Million. Maybe a Yooka-Laylee Amiibo, they did mention them wanting to do it back when they revealed the game at Rezzed.

-MB-

They have left Nintendo systems.

We are still waiting on the big 3d mario game in the vein of 64, sunshine and Galaxy. 3d world is just 2d gameplay based (complete with timed levels and jumping on the flag pole at the end) on a small 3d plane. 3d world doesn't allow you to easily explore compared to previous 3d Mario.

It seems Nintendo is just wanting to do 2d Platformers as shown with donkey kong, Kirby and Yoshi.

Who made you the arbiter to decide what does or does not constitute a proper 3d Platformer, and espescially from a dev that made that genre what it is.

Top Bottom