• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Island DS: Or, how I am not man enough.

temjin

Banned
Alright, goddamn this. I've been playing this game for a long time and I'm up to 'The Cave That Never Ends' and man, is this thing difficult or what? I've attempted to beat this level about 30 times and I progress a bit each time only to die... Sigh. The game hasn't been too difficult up until this level.

I love the game, but why can't I beat this? I was more of a man-gamer when I was younger than I am now.

Sigh.

Mash

It got really frustrating for me too, a lot of things felt cheap and like there was no way I could have avoided things without already knowing it was going to happen. I liked it nonetheless just think it could have been done better.

Which world is that? I didn't find the game to be that hard until the fifth world. The final boss was pretty damn easy too. The bonus stages after you finish the game though, are nuts.

temjin

Banned
akachan ningen said:
Which world is that? I didn't find the game to be that hard until the fifth world. The final boss was pretty damn easy too. The bonus stages after you finish the game though, are nuts.
5th world, the level right after the mid-world boss.

God. Help me.

Xrenity

Didn't like the game at all.

Too frustrating for me. And falling to death for 5 seconds was annoying as well.

This game is pretty hard. I got 100% but it took a lot of effort (the SNES one was a bit easier, but not by much).
About this level, I remember it's challenging. Trial & Error are your friends.

NotWii

Banned
What are you talking about babies?
The game is easy, I beat it without a sweat (I guess I am godlike, since I unlocked everything in F-Zero GX)

Yoshi's Island DS is a licensed fan game.
A pale and soulless imitation of the original.

Yeah such a frustrating game, I remember getting to those levels and being like wtf why is this so difficult?!?

Then my sister borrowed it after I had finished it and all I hear about is how frustrating it is. :lol Seems to be a universal thing.

Septy

The required missions are fairly tough, but with some practice you should be able to finish them. Getting all the coins, flowers etc on some of the later missions, now that is ridiculous.

Nemesis_

I remember that level from the SNES original. was a fucking bitch to beat but I don't remember spending heaps of time on it, just dreading it whenever I had to replay it to get my 100% completion :lol

I had to sell it, I don't know what level you are talking about, but I dont know if I got past the level where the screen scrolls across and will knock you off if you are too slow. Fucking hard, but good/bad type of game

stalker

I loved the game; I did it not find it particulary difficult until world 5 (normal game, not going for 100%); many retries in the last levels, but this is something I expect from a good and challenging platformer.

Wait until you get to one the next levels, 5.7.
That one is the real nightmare in that game, you will see. I think I consumed about 50 lives there.

mattso

I had this game for months and never made it past the 3rd world

gave it to my girlfriend and she beat it in a week

Dubble

Screw the haters, YIDS is one of my all time favorites in the Mario series because it is so fecking hard (which is out of the norm for a Mario game).

The Cave That Never Ends is where I began to encounter problems too. It seems that after that point the game goes into "Cutesy Terrifying mode" (the extra stages are even worse). Now I will agree that some deaths are cheap, but there isn't anything in that game that can't be overcome with the simple technique of paying attention and learning from your mistakes as you go. Sometimes its trial and error and sometimes its not, but when you finish a stage you can rest assured that you earned that goal fanfare. Plus getting 100 percent is no cakewalk either.

Personally, I like games that don't baby me every step of the way and I like Mario games, so this was a perfect fit for me. Frustrating as hell due to the steep difficulty, but I found it very fun. Others who hate that sort of stuff probably won't like it, but your mileage may vary.

Neverending Cave was so awesome. Grow some testicles and quit complaining.

Getting a score of 100 on the two bonus stages in world 1, now that's just impossible.

Jazzem

It was better than Yoshi's Universal Gravitation (Like many things in life) but it still felt like a pretty weak game to me. I can't believe they outsourced the sequel to one of my favourite Nintendo games :(

Yaweee

There are some frustrating levels in World 5, and the bonus levels, but I loved this game. Beat it yesterday, now I'm going through and doing bonus levels and the such. Intend on beating all the stages, but not getting 1000 points per world.

Some of the ring placement is bullshit, the presentation is kind of crap (cutscenes are laughably bad), switching babies could have been easier (and swappable at the map screen), but this game soars on the back of fantastic level design. Definitely my favorite 2D Mario game (Yoshi's Island used to be my first).

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Man, this game was such a disappointment to the first game's amazing joy and spirit; plus it wasn't exactly hard, just frustrating.

Then again, we all knew the case when it changed from Yoshi's Island 2 to Yoshi's Island DS.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, this thread just reminded me that I never beat the game either, and I'm on that exact level. I really enjoyed it up to that damned cave though. :p

Odrion

Banned
The game wasn't THAT hard.

I wouldn't say it was a great Nintendo game, it felt like a fan game and was off in just about every category.

I really like both YI for the SNES and YIDS, hopefully they make one for the wii :) but as of know artoon says its a secret.

Top Bottom