• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Woolly World |OT| It's So Fluffy I'm Gonna Die!

Vertti

To the UK people how does this game compare to Yoshi's Island?
I'm not from UK but have finished the game 100% so I hope I can answer.

Original Yoshi's Island is probably my favourite 2D platformer of all time. And I'm happy to say that Woolly World is almost as good.

The presentation already does it to me but the level desing is mostly very good too. There is nice variety in levels and every level feels fresh. The game isn't very difficult but not too easy either like Epic Yarn was. The S-levels especially offer some nice challenge.

Gameplay is very familiar if you have played any older yoshi games. But if it ain't broke don't fix it. Two player mode is of course a big difference and it worked mostly fine. I played the game with my 9-year-old sister and my 17-year-old brother. I probably enjoyed the game more than I would have if I had played alone because I good share all the cute and fun moments with someone else. I also played few levels on my own and it was totally fine too.

Do I recommend this game? Absolutely. If 2D platformers make you feel bored Woolly World doesn't really offer anything new so It's maybe not for you. But if you enjoy your good old platforming fun then this is game not to be missed. Took me 29 hours to finish to game so it's not too short either.

Famassu

yoshi real talk: woolly world = story > yi = yni > ds

tezuka and his team nailed it
Dear beelzebub, no. Story isn't that good of a game, let alone better than Island. And Woolly World has a few stages that perhaps trump all Island's levels, but overall I'd say Island still holds the edge with a more thoroughly high quality package.

It's been a while since i finished but looking back i can say safely it's the second best yoshi's island. It's still not as as good as the first but very few games are.
Great visuals, some nice new ideas and the difficulty is good (very hard secret levels but also main ones later on). Easy to recommend if you like platform games, love pours out of this tile from the developers and you can tell.

MrBadger

I said this when it came out and I still think it, but I'd say it's on the same level. The original edges it out for being a much fresher experience for the time, but Wooly World also does a handful of stuff better, like the way it handles collectibles, and it also has a better, or at least equally good soundtrack (which isn't an easy thing to say).

daydream

Banned
Dear beelzebub, no. Story isn't that good of a game, let alone better than Island. And Woolly World has a few stages that perhaps trump all Island's levels, but overall I'd say Island still holds the edge with a more thoroughly high quality package.

both story and woolly world do way more interesting things than island which is a very good platformer but not without issues. also, no need to demonise me!

Effect

Can't make a decision on this. I've never really played a Yoshi's Island game. The little I've come close to playing one was the one that they released for the 3DS ambassador program. I should try playing that again I guess to see if I like it.

Woolly World just comes off looking really pretty but ultimately a slow and relaxing (as opposed to boring I guess) game.

Is that pretty much the main draw to them? That's it's a relaxing platformer that might have some interesting level design?

If I do preorder it to make sure I get a copy and more importantly I get the amiibo bundle I would like it to show up on Amazon. Would be annoying if I had to go into gamestop again to cancel another preorder. That's just an extra stop I'd rather not have to make if I ultimately decide to not get the game.

Blues1990

Can't make a decision on this. I've never really played a Yoshi's Island game. The little I've come close to playing one was the one that they released for the 3DS ambassador program. I should try playing that again I guess to see if I like it.

Woolly World just comes off looking really pretty but ultimately a slow and relaxing (as opposed to boring I guess) game.

Is that pretty much the main draw to them? That's it's a relaxing platformer that might have some interesting level design?

Woolly World IS a game that has solid level design with a laid-back atmosphere. But it's surprisingly difficult, especially once you unlock the Special Stages. If you have a friend to play, the co-op mode is pretty fun, as well.

TheJoRu

It can be very relaxing if you want it to, and the level themes and the music is mostly laid-back. But if you want to get everything and survive with max health the levels become considerably harder, so then it's not always so relaxed. I think the game does a good job of switching it up too; the special-levels (or the S-levels) in particular can be very fast and focused on timing. And yes, there are some interesting level designs; it doesn't feel very new, different or innovative in any way, but the level design and gameplay is wholly solid.

Note: this is talking about Woolly World. Yoshi's Island has mostly the same gameplay, but it's much faster in comparison and while it does focus on the same kind of collecting and exploration, I feel you are way more stressed out in that game because of the speed, design and music. That's not a bad thing if you are looking for a fast, hard game; I like both games a lot.

Scribble

I really enjoyed the game for the first 3 worlds but now that I own Mario Maker, and there are some other new releases (One Piece, MGS, Until Dawn), I've lost all motivation to play it. ESPECIALLY because of Mario Maker. I play games on a budget and I'm fighting all temptation to trade it in.

Pila

I'm on the fence about pre-ordering the version with the amiibo or not. Does that dual Yoshi mechanic add anything substantial to the game?

That mechanic doesn't look that hot tbh, but I don't own the miiboz so whatever... friend of mine wasn't impressed with the amiibo function and he's a legit amiibo fan.

Game itself is great, 100%'d recently.

Linkyn

How long is the initial playthrough and how long does it take to 100% it? Is there any difficulty in going for 100%?

If you just rush through it, you'll probably be done in around 4-8 hours. Going for all the collectibles (and the full health runs) can be a bit more demanding. I'm sitting at a little over 30 hours, but some of that time is idling and listening to the sound test. I'm thinking I've played for around 20-25 hours to 100% the game.

The main game is fairly easy. It's in the special stages that the difficulty really picks up (to the point where you're glad that you have unlimited lives).

If you just rush through it, you'll probably be done in around 4-8 hours. Going for all the collectibles (and the full health runs) can be a bit more demanding. That said, the main game is fairly easy. It's in the special stages that the difficulty really picks up (to the point where you're glad that you have unlimited lives).
Thanks for the answer.
I am getting an imported copy today, so I wanted to know just not going for collectables.

I plan to do the 100% thing when the NA version comes out.

That mechanic doesn't look that hot tbh, but I don't own the miiboz so whatever... friend of mine wasn't impressed with the amiibo function and he's a legit amiibo fan.

Game itself is great, 100%'d recently.

Gotcha.

No, you can play the game quite happily without it. The reason to get the amiibo is simply if you like it/how it looks.

Fair enough. If the mechanic is mostly an afterthought I can live without the amiibo, even though it does look really good.

jariw

I'm on the fence about pre-ordering the version with the amiibo or not. Does that dual Yoshi mechanic add anything substantial to the game?

The amiibo feature can make it a bit easier in some places (you can shoot the other yoshi to hard-to-reach places), without resorting all the way to Mellow Mode. But it's not crucial to play the game in any way. IMO, the game's platforming is much better by trying to get getting all collectibles in Normal Mode.

TheMoon

It's not quite as good, but it's BY FAR the closest any game in the Yoshi series has gotten to YI. It feels like a legit sequel, featuring levels which are some of Nintendo's best '2D' work since the '90s.

Let's remember that this is a Good-Feel game. While EAD level designers did contribute (as they did with Yoshi's New Island), referring to it as solely Nintendo's work is quite misleading.

Neff

Let's remember that this is a Good-Feel game. While EAD level designers did contribute (as they did with Yoshi's New Island), referring to it as solely Nintendo's work is quite misleading.

I consider it a Nintendo game with EAD's contribution and more importantly the director of the original taking a very hands-on producer role. Good-Feel is essentially a Nintendo studio at this point.

Chopper

Does anyone own this game, and an unpackaged pixelated Mario amiibo? I was wondering if it has a different effect from the regular Mario amiibo...

Does anyone own this game, and an unpackaged pixelated Mario amiibo? I was wondering if it has a different effect from the regular Mario amiibo...
Yeah, I just got my JPN Wii U Mario Maker bundle and got the game so I will post a screen of what Yoshi I get.

ys45

Original Yoshi's Island is probably my favourite 2D platformer of all time. And I'm happy to say that Woolly World is almost as good.

Seeing this give me hope, I have been looking to a good Yoshi platformer since Yoshi's Island (one the best platformer I ever played)

I really did not like Yoshi's New Island I stopped playing after 5 worlds .
Maybe it's the nostalgia talking but I'd like the magic from Yoshi's Island .

Yeah, 8-Bit Mario gives you just regular Mario. :(

Game is pretty great. Got all stars in the first 4 levels. This is the closest feeling of a true Yoshi's Island sequel. People with just a NA Wii U will love it coming in October.

Unlike the souless YNI, this game has plenty of soul.

TI82

Banned
Not as good, but can still be pretty great. A few dull levels, but then there are some absolutely awesome ones.

So wait for a price drop/pricing error before I bother. At least there isn't annoying Mario to deal with.

More like Yoshi's Island, or Yoshi's Story youd say?

finalflame

I can't believe this is still 2 weeks off for NA. Such utter crap, Nintendo :( Can't wait for it to release though, will be the first new game I buy in a while.

TheJoRu

More like Yoshi's Island, or Yoshi's Story youd say?

It's definitely more like Yoshi's Island. Lack of baby Mario is the only aspect I'd say brings it closer to Yoshi's Story.

However, it is generally slower paced than YI, with higher focus on exploration than ever before. It's very subjective what one thinks of that, but personally I really like this game.

TheMoon

It's definitely more like Yoshi's Island. Lack of baby Mario is the only aspect I'd say brings it closer to Yoshi's Story.

However, it is generally slower paced than YI, with higher focus on exploration than ever before. It's very subjective what one thinks of that, but personally I really like this game.

TI will hate it anyway ;)

Top Bottom