• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Woolly World |OT| It's So Fluffy I'm Gonna Die!

also

Banned
I'm surprised to hear someone say this because I find YWW's stages much harder. I 100% finished all 54 stages in the original YI, but I'm not sure I have the patience to do the same in YWW. I find deaths more frequent and secrets more obscurely hidden. It's much harder to stay on top of health without the original game's ability to make star eggs too.
I find that strange since wooly Yoshi is so much slower and it's so much easier to save yourself from mistimed jumps and just flutter jump out of harms way.
Yes, finishing with 100% health on your 1st try is trickier than in YI since the checkpoints don't save your health and there are no items but, unlike in YI, you don't have to collect every everything in 1 go so you can just quickly replay the level afterwards. This will also make you realize how simple the levels actually are.
WW is more frustrating than hard; it does not require as much platforming skill as it does patience to comb through the level. Not a good design philosophy at all.

Dry_Bones

The original Yoshi's Island on the SNES is my favourite platform game of all time because I've always loved the idea of collecting various things in a stage rather than just running from point A to point B ..

So, I recently bought a Wii U and have been playing Woolly World for some days now .. I have finished the first two worlds 100% and just started on the third world ..

This is one great game and finally the sequel that I've always wanted ! The stage design is great and although I have to replay a stage 2 or 3 times sometimes to get everything, it never feels like a chore .. I love exploring and finding every little thing that is hidden in a stage which never ceases to amaze me by its looks .. I just hope that it'll go on like this until the end ..

NZNova

Picked this up on a whim, really like it! Never played a Yoshi game before. I think I'd rather have a control scheme where I can hold a button down and then use the right stick to aim where I'm going to spit a yarn ball, but I can live with the timing based one.

illusionary

I don't suppose that anyone knows of a text guide that just lists total collectibles per area? I know that videos are available for each video, but I'd much prefer to have something that doesn't completely usurp in-game exploration.

I don't suppose that anyone knows of a text guide that just lists total collectibles per area? I know that videos are available for each video, but I'd much prefer to have something that doesn't completely usurp in-game exploration.
What do you mean? The amount of collectibles (other than the regular gems scattered throughout levels, which are just kinda there as currency to use for badges aka power-ups at the beginning of a stage) that matter for getting 100% are the same for every stage in the game:
5 Flowers
5 Wonder Wools
20 Miiverse Gem things

How many you've gotten of each are also displayed at the end of each level and when you select one on the world map.

illusionary

What do you mean? The amount of collectibles (other than the regular gems scattered throughout levels, which are just kinda there as currency to use for badges aka power-ups at the beginning of a stage) that matter for getting 100% are the same for every stage in the game:
5 Flowers
5 Wonder Wools
20 Miiverse Gem things

How many you've gotten of each are also displayed at the end of each level and when you select one on the world map.
Yep, I realise all of that - but what would be really useful is a breakdown of which areas (i.e., between one-way screen transitions - some doors, pipes, etc.) the collectibles are in, within each stage. Getting to the end of the stage with just one or two items missing is somewhat frustrating!

flowsnake

Don't know if this has already been said, but I'm gonna say it because it is quite important:

It seems there is a bug in the game if you play with the gamepad screen off while using another controller. That's what causes the constant image freezing that several people noticed some pages ago.

I was having this stutter issue, which gave me an incredibly bad first impression of the game. Hopefully I can enjoy it now by leaving the Gamepad screen on.

Disappointing that this hasn't been patched at this point.

Roo

I was having this stutter issue, which gave me an incredibly bad first impression of the game. Hopefully I can enjoy it now by leaving the Gamepad screen on.

Disappointing that this hasn't been patched at this point.

Maybe they're waiting for the NA release?
If it's a wide and known problem then it probably will be fixed from the get go for the retail NA version.

Otherwise I can't think of any other reason why they haven't patched the PAL version yet.

Dry_Bones

Finished all the levels 100% .. Only the Boss tent remains .. This is one of the greatest platform games that I have played in the past 10 years and I hope that it sells well in NA when it is released because it deserves it .. Almost 20 years after the original Yoshi's Island, this is the sequel that I've always wanted !

Stage 5-s is the definition of joy :D

What game should I play next ???? Super Mario 3D world, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze or Captain Toad ???

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Started playing this just now and it's just a joy to play. I haven't played a Nintendo game in a bit and there's something about them that just re-ignites my love for games every time, this one is no exception. I have a backlog so I should ignore 100%'ing this, but it seems so tempting.

Game is a constant reminder that I need to play Yoshi's Island at some point though.

illusionary

I beat the last boss and saw the credits yesterday, but finally completed the game to my satisfaction just now, with all items collected and all bonus stages beaten (including
★-S
) and
the Boss Tent
cleared. All in all, I really enjoyed the game - the art style never gets old and, as is always the case with the Yoshi platformers, if you go for all of the collectibles there's a good level of challenge - but rarely enough to become frustrating.

A tip for any other completionists - if you want to fill the 'Scrapbook Theatre' entries, bear in mind that you need to hit all enemies with a yarn ball during the course of the game, so make a point of doing this from the start. I didn't realise this until looking back at the world list after the last boss and had to do a little clean-up. It could have been worse for me, but there's not yet a complete guide in one place for where to find enemies, so I could see filling the entries being troublesome if you have a lot outstanding post-game.

One of these days I really ought to go back and do a proper run at Yoshi's Island, especially after it forming such an excellent opener to this year's SGDQ...

urfe

Just beat it. Favorite Wii U game by far. This series has hits and misses, and this was definitely a hit.

I'll probably slowly complete everything over the next few months, but I'm in no hurry.

Shame it hasn't sold the best, it is so good.

bumpkin

so bizarre that this still isn't out yet in north america
Truth. I think when I last complained about it, I was told that we got Kirby and at least one other game months before Europe did. So I guess it's a give-and-take?

Still would have rather gotten Yoshi before Kirby though.

Chaos17

I also took a break since that stage :

tumblr_nr34bzR4i91u5eexko1_540.jpg

I played again Yoshi a bit yesterday and today and holy hell that ice world in co-op!!

SEATTLE-SEAHAWKS-MARSHAWN-LYNCH-RUN-VS-SAINTS-IN-PLAYOFFS.gif

intense.gif

32575_api_ning_com_files_xOf3k8EkVLXsPO0qtmu4IPZWUKs3WVmh1LNeUsA0Z1T_j7H0Ju4fQAtRTDSKG42pa0CrjPiiXj6eBzRC_br_SHDeH2s9HeEisrv_comedy_gif_fun_gif_jim_carrey_funny_hot_gifs_large.jpg.gif

Hey guys.

Any explanation from Nintendo about the late release in NA??

My son is killing me and everytime we walk into a game store he'd pick up a copy of the game and begs me to buy it.

It's very hard to explain to a 5 years old that he can't play that version of the game!

Finished the game last night. It was overall a fun experience - great in cooperative mode - but a lot of levels felt a bit mediocre. There was only one world, World 3, that IMO had consistently good stages. Each other world had at least two or so levels that I disliked, or felt were boring.

Still, it's a solid platformer. I just wish Nintendo would mix things up a little bit, as these games are getting a bit too formulaic for my tastes. Yes, the visuals do look gorgeous. Yes, there is still plenty of content. But no, it doesn't differ much from previous titles to warrant it as a "must buy."
Boss repetition is lame, too.
Most Nintendo games do it, this one included.

It's cute, and I'd recommend picking it up if you have a Wii U and need to fill the gap until the next big release.

Dryk

Still, it's a solid platformer. I just wish Nintendo would mix things up a little bit, as these games are getting a bit too formulaic for my tastes. Yes, the visuals do look gorgeous. Yes, there is still plenty of content. But no, it doesn't differ much from previous titles to warrant it as a "must buy."
Boss repetition is lame, too.
Most Nintendo games do it, this one included.
I think now is a good time to change up the Yoshi formula since they've been trying to recapture Yoshi's Island for 3 games now. They've finally got something I think people can be happy with so they should move on for a bit and change it up a little more.

"Most" eh...no, not even close.

I say most, because I would class stuff like Kirby: Rainbow Paintbrush, Mario 3D World, Mario Maker (etc) as different enough to recommend to people who played previous games. I find things like this, New Super Mario Bros, Link Between Worlds, Animal Crossing, Pokémon X / Y, Mario Tennis (etc) hard to recommend, as it's kinda "oh, did you play x, well it's like x but new." They're still fantastic titles - I play and love them all because they're well polished and have that Nintendo level of quality about them, it's just the new releases have become very formulaic.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Difficulty's ramping up, in world 2 even. There's this long autoscroller near the end of the 4-lock door level with a bunch of clouds, gems and bats. I had a good run eventually, then noticed the final row of gems had another hidden cloud... So I have to go back there again :p In world 3 now, just finished the cookie level. I also tried 1-S... nope.gif

One of my favorite levels so far was where you had to guide the wool chomp through the level and (un)wind him. So many cool ideas stuffed into each level.

Power badges are a fun little addition, and some of the useful badges are surprisingly cheap, like the big balls or dog. I also caved once and used the fire resistance in a lava level :/
Gotta love that dog btw... His animation is incredible, it's adorable when he barks at hidden clouds.

Oh and 19/20 stamps sucks, I have like 5 levels where I only have 1 stamp missing to fully complete the level.

Ennosuke

Bought this game on the weekend and playing it coop with my gf and we are both excited. It looks so great and gives you such a positive feeling. The music is also great.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm in 5-6 now, the Labyrinth level. I made progress until I fell down and entered a loop I can't escape from. Trying again tomorrow. Overall I thought the difficulty would ramp up more in this world, but I'm guessing the final world will cover that. Leaving the S levels for after I beat the game.

I'd like to know, if someone wants to spoiler that, if there are any substantial rewards for 100%. Like, is there something extra for getting all the S levels, and again for getting a star in each category in each level? I almost have worlds 1 & 2 fully completed, but I don't know if I have the patience for the others, wondering if it's worth it.

This game just further confirms what a beast WiiU has become for platforming fans.

TheJoRu

After a few weeks break from this game I just resumed my progress. I started by doing 4-S.

giphy.gif

I should've gone with something more gentle to start with. That shit was intense.

Mr-Joker

Banned
After a few weeks break from this game I just resumed my progress. I started by doing 4-S.

giphy.gif

I should've gone with something more gentle to start with. That shit was intense.

Fuck that's the level I left off on...I am gonna die.

At least I will be adorable and fluffy.

TheJoRu

Like most of Woolly World it wasn't that hard to just survive, but you want to get all the stuff and survive with max health, and that's really, really hard. Getting it all on less than 3 attempts is a real feat in my book. Really great level, though; glad they put so much effort into the special levels.

Robin64

Do we know how far the amiibo support for this goes? The Dr Mario wave worked, and that wasn't out til after the game, so do we think Mr G&W and co will work too? How about 8-bit Mario? ...Animal Crossing?

Edit: So apparently I could have looked here first.

It shows that all remaining Smash ones, including the Miis, will work. Chibi-Robo also works, and so does the 8-bit Mario. Animal Crossing doesn't.

Edit 2: Mind, it also says the Pokémon work, and while they technically do unlock something, I'm sure we can all agree it really doesn't count.

SmokeMaxX

I'm so confused by this last page. I haven't read anything about the game since the initial reviews and those weren't too hot from what I remember. So the game's actually good?

Robin64

I'm so confused by this last page. I haven't read anything about the game since the initial reviews and those weren't too hot from what I remember. So the game's actually good?

The game is excellent. Many of us agree that it's back on form for the Yoshi series and anyone who loves Yoshi's Island will love this too.

TheMoon

You sure you haven't read Yoshi's New Island reviews?

We've always known this game was good, reviews said nothing else.

I certainly would recommend it. While the game has a bit slower pace than average platformer it more than makes it up with some clever world design, beautiful and unique graphics and it's just filled with nice warm feelings. Really enjoyed playing through it in co-op with the wife and the level of difficulty is high enough especially if you try to collect all the collectibles.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm in 5-6 now, the Labyrinth level. I made progress until I fell down and entered a loop I can't escape from. Trying again tomorrow. Overall I thought the difficulty would ramp up more in this world, but I'm guessing the final world will cover that. Leaving the S levels for after I beat the game.

I'd like to know, if someone wants to spoiler that, if there are any substantial rewards for 100%. Like, is there something extra for getting all the S levels, and again for getting a star in each category in each level? I almost have worlds 1 & 2 fully completed, but I don't know if I have the patience for the others, wondering if it's worth it.

This game just further confirms what a beast WiiU has become for platforming fans.

For getting all the flowers everwhere
You get an additional level
For getting all flowers in a world you get the S-level.
For getting all the wool in a level you get an additional Yoshi
For getting all the "red coins"
you get stamps
For completing the
Boss tent you receive some additional Yoshis
For completing all levels without and health lost
you get a load of nothing
For getting all stars
you get naught
For getting a complete museum
you guessed it, you receive not even a nod

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Hey, thanks for posting that. Guess I'll prioritize getting the flowers then, since the S-levels are the only real unlocks. I quit the game around 6-1, need to pick it up again.

SmokeMaxX

You sure you haven't read Yoshi's New Island reviews?

We've always known this game was good, reviews said nothing else.

?
Here are the initial European reviews that I saw from here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1068467
NintendoWorldReport – 8.5 / 10
GameReactor – 9 / 10
VideoGamer – 6 / 10
Nintendo Life – 9 / 10
GameSpot – 6 / 10
DigitalSpy – 3 / 5
GamesRadar – 3.5 / 5
Half the reviews are 6/10 with one being a 7/10. The OP's been updated since I last saw it though to add more reviews. That being said, the metacritic is currently a 78 which isn't bad, but isn't mindblowingly awesome either. I'm sure I'll love the game as I loved Yoshi's Island and I love the design of this game.

Chaos17

Well, it's our impression how a so fluffly and cute game can bare it fangs at us and we're like : WTF ?! XD (in good way, lol)

Top Bottom