• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Woolly World |OT| It's So Fluffy I'm Gonna Die!

maxcriden

Longer. A 100% run of Kirby took me ~10-15 hours, a 100% run of Yoshi took me 20. Though Kirby was piss-easy, even including all collectibles, so it might be the same length and errors on my side might have slowed me down.

Excellent. I don't think Kirby including all collectibles (including medals + challenges here) is as easy as you say, though. Not all of it, at least.

How long is just the main game in comparison?

Thanks Yosh!!

I love Mario Maker for what it is... but playing impeccably designed levels after playing that for the last month is like finding an oasis in the desert!

Big time! Even Chibi-Robo's levels have been better than 90% of the garbage in 100 Mario Challenge.

SMM is probably still my GOTY so far, however. Creating levels is just sublime.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Excellent. I don't think Kirby including all collectibles (including medals + challenges here) is as easy as you say, though. Not all of it, at least.

How long is just the main game in comparison?

Thanks Yosh!!

I cannot say exactly, because I always go for 100% with Nintendo platformers right away. However, the level count is (if you consider this a spoiler stop reading here):
6 worlds of 8 levels each
7 unlockable levels on top of that

If you only try to complete the story, you only need to play 48 levels, each lasting, without collecting, probably around 5-10 minutes. Assuming you are a fantastic player who never dies, we'd end up at around 480 minutes (for the 10 minute estimate), so 4 hours?

ktroopa

Wow sickenkly cute and looks gorgeous.. i was going to skip this, but based on impressions here. Ordered!

This will be my xmas full belly of turkey sit back and chillax game :D

fernoca

I've created a new album for the amiibo skins, as the old one wouldn't let me update it anymore.

http://imgur.com/a/nuEIv

This includes everything, as far as I can tell, 51 skins. The latest waves are in there, as is Falco. Mewtwo will, of course, do nothing. Only time will tell if Lucas, Roy, and Ryu will do anything.
Cool. Good to know I'm only missing Falco then.

As a note, the Blue Yarn, Pink Yarn, Green Yarn (default) and regular/plastic Yoshi are unlocked a bit different. While the others can be unlocked at any moment and in the hut; since those are from the Yoshi amiibo, you have to scan the amiibo as you play. Then will appear on the hut to change at any time.

Roo

I've created a new album for the amiibo skins, as the old one wouldn't let me update it anymore.

http://imgur.com/a/nuEIv

This includes everything, as far as I can tell, 51 skins. The latest waves are in there, as is Falco. Mewtwo will, of course, do nothing. Only time will tell if Lucas, Roy, and Ryu will do anything.

So do you mind if I update the OP with this new album? xD

Kinsei

Banned
I just beat the first world and oh man, this is so good so far. The special level is up there with Tropical Freeze in terms of quality.

Do the transformation sections ever lose the time limit and get integrated into the levels more naturally like in Kirby's Epic Yarn? If not are there any levels devoted to the transformations?

Robin64

Do the transformation sections ever lose the time limit and get integrated into the levels more naturally like in Kirby's Epic Yarn? If not are there any levels devoted to the transformations?

They're always a seperate time-limited section, and there aren't any levels which are pure transformation either.

Laws00

Got it/bubdle at toys r us.

People were in line. Didnt know it was a amiibo day.

Saw little mack, caption falcon. Also another one.

Had a bunch of pink and blue yarn yoshis.

I said i only wanted Mario retro but I caved and got the yarn yoshi :(

Hopefully no Luigi, bowser, princess or some other retro style comes out......fuck im on a course for destruction......

depward

Went to the store to just look.

Bought.

Could not resist the adorableness.

I'm also on a Nintendo kick lately, including playing through the fantastic Captain Toad.

Zing

Banned
Anyone who bought the bundle with the Amiibo, does the game case have a UPC or is it "not for resale" or blank?

depward

Anyone who bought the bundle with the Amiibo, does the game case have a UPC or is it "not for resale" or blank?

Took and look and took a photo:

uKHRDEu.jpg

It has both, actually - a UPC and a "not for resale" mention.

Dragoshi1

How do I unlock the plastic yoshi skin?

I place smash and SMB Yoshi but I just get a message about using them in a level to spawn the DOUBLE YOSHI.

Zing

Banned
It has both, actually - a UPC and a "not for resale" mention.
Thank you very much. I bought the bundle, but have yet to open it. I am thinking it is not worth the extra $17 for the Amiibo, so I may just go buy the standalone game. I dislike "not for resale" packaging, so this is an extra incentive.

What does the box mean by "save your favourite in-game designs"? I noticed that the package has read/write Amiibo functionality. Can you customize your Yoshi and save it to the Amiibo?

Never mind, I think I understand. You simply save an already unlocked pattern to the figure and can activate it in coop. I wish the digital manual was online somewhere. In coop, can you choose your pattern, or does it require Amiibo?

I just scanned over the first five and the last five pages and no one mentions Amiibo, outside of people trying to unlock outfits. Does no one use Amiibo for any other purpose?

Anbec7

Played it with a friend, co op is amazing and the game is lovely.
I will have to wait a week to buy it.. c'mon! payday! lol

So how does America feel about Wooly World?

I've got credit to get one game from gamestop and I'm shuffling this, rebuying gta 5 to finish it or get nba2k16. Gonna be a touch choice. Love me some top tier platforming

Zing

Banned
I just acquired the standalone retail version. I'll either return or sell my bundle. I watched a few videos and read some articles and from what I can tell, the yarn Yoshi Amiibo do virtually nothing in this game. They allow you to have a "double", which is basically just a cheat to have a Yoshi you can throw if you aren't playing coop. Not worth $20 at all. Amiibo are generally just "toys" with some minor functionality, but these yarn ones are almost strictly bought for looks.

Just read the manual. You can't even save designs when in coop mode, and tapping Amiibo during the game only affects player 1. So, it appears the game just straight up handles a second player as someone controlling the Yoshi double. Disappointing, but saved me some ducats. I was considering going all in on the yarn Amiibo if my daughter and girlfriend could save and load designs to their own Amiibo. At this point, I wonder why Nintendo even bothers adding any functionality. They should just sell toys.

jariw

Hm, ok thanks. I was hoping for something more like Rayman. This will probably be a tough sell to get my wife on board. Guess I'm riding solo once again! Looking forward to picking it up tonight.

Actually it's a bit different than most traditional platformers in 2-player mode. One of the players can swallow and shoot the other player, which can be used for different things (like shooting one player up to a difficult-to-reach place).

Kinsei

Banned
I've played through 2-1 five times now and I can't find my final stamp. I just know that when I finally find it that it will be in a totally obvious spot that I should have seen on my first run through the level.

I just acquired the standalone retail version. I'll either return or sell my bundle. I watched a few videos and read some articles and from what I can tell, the yarn Yoshi Amiibo do virtually nothing in this game. They allow you to have a "double", which is basically just a cheat to have a Yoshi you can throw if you aren't playing coop. Not worth $20 at all. Amiibo are generally just "toys" with some minor functionality, but these yarn ones are almost strictly bought for looks.

Just read the manual. You can't even save designs when in coop mode, and tapping Amiibo during the game only affects player 1. So, it appears the game just straight up handles a second player as someone controlling the Yoshi double. Disappointing, but saved me some ducats. I was considering going all in on the yarn Amiibo if my daughter and girlfriend could save and load designs to their own Amiibo. At this point, I wonder why Nintendo even bothers adding any functionality. They should just sell toys.

Amiibo for Woolly World is pointless? Thanks... you just saved me $20. I don't really care for the "toy" aspect of amiibos either.

Happy to see the rest of you getting to play this finally. It's such a nice little game with a beautiful graphics and full of nice warm feelings. Had a great time playing it through in co-op last summer. I'm still missing a few collectibles in some levels and should get back to it one of these days.

Drago

JA2qzaj.png

I have been waiting far too long for this game, but it's finally here. Gonna start playing it in a bit, I'm so excited! :D

When reentering a level to look for Flowers, Yarn, and Stamps, do you have to get everything all over again or can you single out what you're hunting for?

bounchfx

liking it a lot so far! there were only 2 things coming to my mind while playing this:
1) I wish the wii u had higher resolution textures. the game is pretty but maaan.
2) did yoshi always jump/fall so fast?

I got my copy from amazon but they never even had the bundle for sale. I really wanted an amiibo of the yarn yoshi too so im pretty sad

edit: oh fucking sure now the bundle is in stock. why do i bother pre ordering shit T___T

fernoca

When reentering a level to look for Flowers, Yarn, and Stamps, do you have to get everything all over again or can you single out what you're hunting for?
Just what you missed. I've missed one yarn in the last 2 stages I played, re-played them, especifically grabbed what I missed and finished it.

What you got will be marked already on screen.

Conezays

I cannot say exactly, because I always go for 100% with Nintendo platformers right away. However, the level count is (if you consider this a spoiler stop reading here):
6 worlds of 8 levels each
7 unlockable levels on top of that

If you only try to complete the story, you only need to play 48 levels, each lasting, without collecting, probably around 5-10 minutes. Assuming you are a fantastic player who never dies, we'd end up at around 480 minutes (for the 10 minute estimate), so 4 hours?

Felt compelled to point out 480 minutes is 8 hours :p

Appreciate all the info though. Looking forward to my copy arriving today.

Mazre

Picked up the bundle after work. Regular amiibos do absolutely nothing for me but yarn Yoshi has consumed my soul, would definitely pony up for more 'yarn' amiibos or even just mini plushes if they made them.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
My amiibo bundle was waiting for me at the door, played through 3 levels, yep it's a Yoshi game. Loving it so far...wife is gonna play the shit outta this.

Just booted this up and cleared World 1, including the unlockable 1-S. And... good lord, 1-S. My hands need a break after all that infinite flutter jumping.

I was a little concerned about difficulty tuning going in given Kirby's Epic Yarn (beautiful, sublime to listen to, but with no middle ground between the plodding, forgiving traversal and the extremity of collecting everything), but in the space of nine stages this game has washed away all my doubts about Good-Feel. I'm very impressed with how quickly the game becomes interesting and rewarding to veteran players.

I'm less impressed with the fussiness of spotting and collecting the Miiverse stamp fragments, but thankfully, that's the least consequential unlockable apart from completing stages at full health. I can already see that I'm likely to take the other two collectibles to 100%, if I can.

Obviously I'm still very early in the experience, but I think this is a game that captures many of the same satisfactions as Tropical Freeze for the mid-level player in terms of pacing, inventiveness, and aesthetic pleasure. I don't expect it to touch DKCTF in terms of tightness of design for expert play (Hard Mode and the K-levels made that game, and its accommodations for speed runners are remarkable to watch in action even if you aren't a speed runner yourself), but it's a welcome addition to what is already the most stacked 2D platformer library on any system since the SNES.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Played through the first four levels, it's nice so far, very charming. I'm glad you only have to find what you missed the second time through a level because I missed a stamp on two of the four :p will make it simpler that way

Well, it's damn good. That much is certain. The level design is really good and it's fun. Presentation (visuals/music) is superb as usual. Can't say much more until I'm further in, but so far it's pretty great.

Wish I had a Wii U so I could play this today but for now it'll have to sit on my shelf until I do. I like what I'm reading in this thread so far (haven't been in here before).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OMG, FINALLY. Played up to 1-3 (anyone know where that final flower & Miiverse stamp is?) & rather liking it. They somehow managed to out-cute Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Speaking of cute, DAT AMIIBO. I didn't want Mega Yarn Yoshi because of the price & now being TRU exclusive, but oh man, I want one just to hug.

Kinsei

Banned
I was right about the stamp I was missing being very obvious.

Can Yarn Yoshi not give you the Yoshi Amiibo costume?

Nope. The three Yarn Yoshi amiibo give you different costumes. What color Yoshi you start with is determined by which save file you pick, so the Yarn Yoshi amiibo give you the colors you didn't choose and a version of the one you did choose that hangs around in the amiibo hut.

jariw

I just played through the last regular level to bring up the credits, just to realize that this was probably the last Wii U game where Saturo Iwata will be listed as Excecutive Producer.

Kinsei

Banned
I just played through the last regular level to bring up the credits, just to realize that this was probably the last Wii U game where Saturo Iwata will be listed as Excecutive Producer.

I think Mario Tennis will have him in as the Executive Producer as well.

Top Bottom