• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Woolly World |OT| It's So Fluffy I'm Gonna Die!

So far really liking the game, and my kids of course love it. It took forever to scan all my amiibo in lol but they look really neat. It might not be very hard but it is really nice to look at and has tons of charm.

sheaaaa

The amiibo is worth getting anyway, because it looks awesome...and cute!

Cute it may definitely be but I could do with the extra cash and the shelf space! I have no interest in the memorabilia surrounding games in general. That said, the day something genuinely meaningful is hidden behind an Amiibo is the day I will have to (reluctantly) shell out.

jariw

Also, are the bonus games the same two throughout the game. They really feel like an afterthought.

I think these are a tribute to the bonus games that appeared in Yoshi's Island. The difference is that in Woolly World you actually get to play an game based on actual gameplay, rather than choosing random cards. As said earlier in the game, there are numerous of different ones that unlocks gradually.

daripad

Probably the same bug that was in the NoE version: The Gamepad can't be turned off if you play with the Pro Controller/Wiimote, otherwise you'll get the freeze.
Fix: Put the Gamepad in a charger and don't turn it off while playing with the another controller.

Oh my god, that's true, thank you so much, it worked perfectly again :)

pa22word

Anyone else think the controls feel a little...floaty? I never played Yoshi's Island, so I don't know if this is what it's supposed to feel like, but I kind of miss the tight controls I had expected from a good feel game coming off of KEY and Wario Land SI.

Played a few levels w/ the gf last night. It's a very enjoyable game. I am digging the music, even though it's nothing like the original YI OST I so revere.

Today, my Yarn Yoshis get freed from their plastic prisons.

So as someone who only likes the first Yoshi's Island and hated the sequels, is this any good

Consensus seems to be that it's the second best Yoshi game after the SNES original (not counting the puzzler). So far, I agree. It's alot better than YI DS, that is for sure.

jariw

The use of Chain Chomps in this game is genius.

I guess you're talking about level 2-3? I remember that's the level where I first felt the yarn Yoshy idea was used to really create a new kind of platforming. There will many more such ideas along the way, probably with the 6-5 level as the real highlight.

I guess you're talking about level 2-3? I remember that's the level where I first felt the yarn Yoshy idea was used to really create a new kind of platforming. There will many more such ideas along the way, probably with the 6-5 level as the real highlight.
Yea.

The overworld has you thinking its a run of the mill Chomp stage, but then they throw this clever puzzle platformer stage using the yarn mechanic.

Mudo

Welp, I picked this up yesterday despite the so-so reviews since I love Yoshi anything. My impression from the first 2 worlds is that reviewers who panned this game must have lost their gaming souls somewhere along the way. what were they expecting?!?!?! It's gorgeous, has wonderful music, and the levels (to me) are fun, interesting, and challenging especially if you are trying to collect everything. or I am old and suck at platformers now lol.

Anyways, if anyone is on the fence about this game, please do not listen to the reviews this time around. They are wrong - the game is great!!!!

N° 2048

Played World 1-1 and World 1-2 and WOW. I didn't know this game was 60fps. It so smooooth.

What a beautiful game. Graphics are gorgeous, game runs smooth and it is difficult (which I love).

Bryko

Really enjoying this game so far. I wasn't expecting the music to be as good as it is.

Is there a complete list of badges anywhere?

Man that slide guitar on that windmill level though...

So great. Soundtrack is amazing. Only just completed World 1, but if the music is any indication, maybe a solid successor on DKC:TF music.

What do you unlock for collecting the coins, flowers and everything?

Stamp patches unlock more Miiverse stamps.

Finding every flower in the world unlocks a bonus, super challenging stage for that world.

Finding all the yarn in each level unlocks a new Yoshi to play as.

Not sure what the hearts unlock.

Edit - beaten

Tybolt

Banned
Did anyone preorder the bundle with the amiibo from Newegg? I'm a little annoyed in realization that the bundle on Newegg with the discount code is the same price as the bundle I could pick up right now, since it hasn't even shipped yet. Are they going to adjust the price?

Between the graphics, the gameplay and the atmossphere, I'm having a lot of fun with this game. Whereas New Island felt really heavy and by the numbers after each level, this is just engaging moment to moment and I want to re enter a level if I've missed something. Good times ;)

Probably the same bug that was in the NoE version: The Gamepad can't be turned off if you play with the Pro Controller/Wiimote, otherwise you'll get the freeze.
Fix: Put the Gamepad in a charger and don't turn it off while playing with the another controller.

THANK YOU!

I'll try this out when I start playing today. (Which will be the whole day)

Seik

Banned
Game is beating my expectations so far.

It really feels like another Yoshi's Island but in yarn. :3

I wasn't expecting a stellar OST after beating the first stage but holy shit, the more you progress the better it gets!

Insaniac

I'm really impressed by the game. Played world 1 with my friend and had a blast trying to 100% the levels. Never played a Yoshi's Island game before this

jariw

Yep. I'm kinda dreading if there's a special Poochy level though. I just know that level will require perfect precision platforming.

No, there is no Poochy in the S levels, but to solve
2-S, it requires the player to keep attention to movement patterns
in the same way as for Poochy.

IMO, the S levels are the best part of the game, specially the ones for worlds 2, 3, 4, 5.

ghibli99

Saw a coworker post a picture of their yarn Yoshi Amiibo, and next thing I know, I bought the bundle from Best Buy. Peer pressure, man. LOL Can't wait to give it a try!

Seems to be a decent length. I just beat world 3 and I'm at about 5 hours played, and I haven't gone back to replay levels yet either. My favourite level so far was the one with the unfurling scarves.

Top Bottom