• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Woolly World |OT| It's So Fluffy I'm Gonna Die!

Berordn

About to play this now...hope you are all right about it being the true successor to the snes yoshis island.

Probably a bad idea to consider it a successor, but definitely the best follow up.

I don't think it can surpass YI, but for the first time they've come close and the game doesn't have any truly crippling flaws.

I had just got donkey Kong tropical freeze. I really like it with great graphics, interesting level design but some levels are really flipping hard and the boss battles are kinda frustrating. Maui world 3d is super enjoyable and never felt frustrated till the later secret levels. What difficulty level us yoshi compared to those.

Probably a bad idea to consider it a successor, but definitely the best follow up.

I don't think it can surpass YI, but for the first time they've come close and the game doesn't have any truly crippling flaws.

After playing it for 20 minutes, I completely agree with you. It's a 10 from me because Yoshis island is probably in my top five favorite games of all time.

Really happy with this purchase.

Are there no remixes of Yoshi songs? The entire soundtrack seems entirely original tunes, which is quite different from Epic Yarn, which had a ton of (really good) remixes.

rjc571

Banned
Just picked it up. Why the fuck is the world map only running at 30 fps? It makes it feel disgusting to navigate, compared to the sublime 60 fps framerate that the game's levels run at.

Kinsei

Banned
Are there no remixes of Yoshi songs? The entire soundtrack seems entirely original tunes, which is quite different from Epic Yarn, which had a ton of (really good) remixes.

I've encountered one remix so far but it wasn't from a Yoshi game.
It was a song from Kirby's Epic Yarn.

jb1234

Just picked this up, as a big fan of Yoshi's Island. The reviews are a little scary but I think I'm more inclined to trust the continuous praise in this thread.

Just beat World 2. This game is amazing. One of the levels from that world had a killer track. I've been 100%ing about half the levels. I'll need to go back when I've reached the credits.

Cindro

The Wii U continues to prove itself as my favorite current gen system. This game freaking rules - it's such an embodiment of all things good and pure in the world.

The game is REALLY good.

It kind of surprises me as I wasn't that excited about getting it(the US late release date could very well be the reason).

I'm only about done with world 2 but holy shit, it's excellent level design and the music is as good as everyone is saying it is.

You know the sign of a great platformer???

Not getting all the collectibles and having to do the level over again and this not only not being a chore but being something you look forward to.

I don't need to say shit about the presentational values(visuals) as they're a huge part of it all and people have already praised them.

I must say that I'm definitely enjoying this beautiful game. The attention of detail is really good for the yarn style. It shows how much effort went to make it look like a well crafted diorama.

What is the deal with the seemingly infinite flutter jump in this game? I've been looking at video reviews and it looks really good, but that jump seems game breaking. Can someone explain how it isn't?

dickroach

4 levels in. loving it so far.

What is the deal with the seemingly infinite flutter jump in this game? I've been looking at video reviews and it looks really good, but that jump seems game breaking. Can someone explain how it isn't?

you descend a little with each use. it's not infinite.

edit: actually I just played 1-S... not only is it infinite, but it appears you can actually elevate if you time it correctly?
either way, you still have to avoid obstacles in the air, so in a situation where infinite hover is going to be used, the challenge is still there.

KingBroly

Banned
This game sure has a lot of Collectibles per stage. 20 Hearts, 20 Stamp Patches, 5 Flowers, 5 Bundles of Yarn. This is DK64 levels of collectibles.

I love the music though. It's got a nice happy jam behind every level.

Scanning every.single.amiibo that I have really makes me want an amiibo bank where I can just store the data for easy usage and backups.

This game sure has a lot of Collectibles per stage. 20 Hearts, 20 Stamp Patches, 5 Flowers, 5 Bundles of Yarn. This is DK64 levels of collectibles.

Faithful pretty much to the others in the series.

Take away the collectibles and the game isn't 1/3 of what it is.

I guess it's what makes Yoshi different than Mario games besides the obvious egg mechanic.

I see it as more an adventure puzzle platformer than a strict platformer.

Kinsei

Banned

I love the music though. It's got a nice happy jam behind every level.

Scanning every.single.amiibo that I have really makes me want an amiibo bank where I can just store the data for easy usage and backups.

This is more Yoshi's Island level of collectibles. They replaced stars with hearts (20 needed in both YI and WW), the red coins with stamp patches (20 needed in both), and there are 5 flowers in every level in both games. The only new collectible in the yarn bundles.

Cindro

The biggest compliment I can give this game so far is that it would still be great even *without* the incredible art style. The fact that it looks so beautifully creative and inviting is just an amazing bonus.

KingBroly

Banned
This is more Yoshi's Island level of collectibles. They replaced stars with hearts (20 needed in both YI and WW), the red coins with stamp patches (20 needed in both), and there are 5 flowers in every level in both games. The only new collectible in the yarn bundles.

Oh, I understand that having played every Yoshi game so far. It's just...man...Collectibles. After how Mario's done it with NSMB I'm just completely exhausted by anything more. It's doable because it's in chunks, but it's still a lot to me. Me as a kid would have no problem. But me as a man is like 'sigh...here we go again.'

Kinsei

Banned
Oh, I understand that having played every Yoshi game so far. It's just...man...Collectibles. After how Mario's done it with NSMB I'm just completely exhausted by anything more. It's doable because it's in chunks, but it's still a lot to me. Me as a kid would have no problem. But me as a man is like 'sigh...here we go again.'

But these levels are designed around the collectibles. Take out the collectibles in a Yoshi game and it's not really a Yoshi game anymore.

fernoca

Plus unlike DK64 (and even Mario), you don't need the collectibles to move on.

Yarns unlock more Yoshis, Flowers are for a chance to play the bonus game at the end, Stamps are to unlock stamps for Miiverse posts and Hearts are just a lifebar. Collecting them all per level unlocks a bonus stage for a bonus Yoshi and ...completion. Gems are just currency.

Anyway...
According to the time log, I've played for 5 hours. And I just finished first world (though did everything and the bonus stage). Lets see if I keep going for the next ones. ;p

The final stage of the ice world may be the single worst platformer stage I've ever had the misfortune to play. Jesus Christ.

I was legitimately thinking of putting the game away and not coming back because of that stage.

Why make a stage like that?

Why do that in an otherwise great stage?

It's not even hard. It's just not fun at all. They went too heavy handed with the ice physics and instant deaths, with pretty awful checkpoint placement.

Anyone experiencing some weird stuttering? The game seems to hitch on me every few seconds when I got to the second world, 1st world was smooth as butter. Game is great but this issue is really bothering me, makes it hard to play a platformer when the game is constantly freezing for half a second.

Thoraxes

Anyone experiencing some weird stuttering? The game seems to hitch on me every few seconds when I got to the second world, 1st world was smooth as butter. Game is great but this issue is really bothering me, makes it hard to play a platformer when the game is constantly freezing for half a second.

Definitely have not experienced this at all.

KingBroly

Banned

Are you playing with the Pro Controller or the Gamepad?

Hm....I suppose it could be the Wii U itself and not the game, but I've never noticed anything like this before...

Actually yeah I just switched from the gamepad to the pro controller, is that it?

Just picked this up, as a big fan of Yoshi's Island. The reviews are a little scary but I think I'm more inclined to trust the continuous praise in this thread.

Most of the reviews for this game are baffling. So much so that I'm probably not going to trust most media outlets in the future when it comes to their thoughts on 2D platformers.

To be fair OTs tend to be full of people who like the game in question.

I'm speaking purely from my experience playing the game. This is among the best 2D platformers in recent memory. It sits comfortably beside Tropical Freeze as one of the best games on Wii U.

Dad

Most of the reviews for this game are baffling. So much so that I'm probably not going to trust most media outlets in the future when it comes to their thoughts on 2D platformers.

The disparity in scores between this and Kirby's Epic Yarn, or even Tropical Freeze and Returns makes me think that there might be some fatigue settling for the 2D platformer revival among media outlets. But then again there are huge outliers like Rayman Legends, so who knows. I much prefer both games to their Wii counterparts, personally.

Most of the reviews for this game are baffling. So much so that I'm probably not going to trust media outlets in the future when it comes to their thoughts on 2D platformers.

It's weird. I haven't seen a game where the reviews and general perception were so drastically different in awhile. This is legitimately a really good game. The reviews are not accurate at all.

Malus

The disparity in scores between this and Kirby's Epic Yarn, or even Tropical Freeze and Returns makes me think that there might be some fatigue settling for the 2D platformer revival among media outlets. But then again there are huge outliers like Rayman Legends, so who knows. I much prefer both games to their Wii counterparts, personally.

Review scores seem a little low in general this gen. 93 is the top mark so far.

It's the "fucking Donkey Kong" effect.

People just see games that go from left to right and think they're all the same. "Yeah, its Nintendo making a platformer again, whatever".

DangerMan

Banned
Just picked it up. Why the fuck is the world map only running at 30 fps? It makes it feel disgusting to navigate, compared to the sublime 60 fps framerate that the game's levels run at.

Splatoon's gameplay is 60 fps but the plaza was 30 fps at launch and now runs with a variable framerate pretty sure. NintendoLand is 60 fps but the plaza is 30 fps. Does anyone know if the world map in Mario 3D World is also 30 fps? Pretty sure that one is always 60 fps. Either way this is not the only first-party Wii U game to have 60 fps gameplay and a 30 fps hub.

This game is really incredible though. So much polish and details for a game that will likely not break even. Much better than Kirby which I liked a decent amount. Probably on par with Captain Toad which I loved. Maybe not quite DKC Tropical Freeze but still crazy good.

Does anyone know what Yoshi's budget was? Anyone know if Captain Toad, Kirby, or Tropical Freeze managed to break even? I'm sure Mario Maker had as small of a budget as those games and will sell well enough to make up for it if they don't break even.

The Wii U is probably my all time favorite game system at this point. I mean:
NintendoLand
ZombiU
New Super Mario Bros U (plus New Super Luigi U)
Super Mario Maker
Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Yoshi's Woolly World
Splatoon
Mario Kart 8
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Super Smash Bros Wii U
Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta 2 (plus Bayonetta)
Affordable Space Adventures
Zelda Wind Waker HD
and many many more

All those are Wii U exclusives except ZombiU(which should have stayed on WiiU) and Bayonetta(the first one). Plus still to come exclusively to Wii U before the end of this year:
Fatal Frame Maiden of Black Water
Mario Tennis Ultra Smash
Fast Racing Neo
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Sadly next year will likely be Star Fox Zero and then the wait for the NX...

KingBroly

Banned
Splatoon's gameplay is 60 fps but the plaza was 30 fps at launch and now runs with a variable framerate pretty sure. NintendoLand is 60 fps but the plaza is 30 fps. Does anyone know if the world map in Mario 3D World is also 30 fps? Pretty sure that one is always 60 fps. Either way this is not the only first-party Wii U game to have 60 fps gameplay and a 30 fps hub.

Nintendo Land's plaza is 60fps, has a lot more going on, but is less graphically intensive

Top Bottom