• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can play PSOBB offline

Izuna

Banned
Kawapaper_Phantasy_Star_0000008_1280x1024.jpg

Why? Because the NeoPSO isn't up anymore and an offline, lagless experience like PSOv2 is amazing.

How this works: This is a Tethealla Client that is configured for you to play Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst locally and offline. Super fast loading times, and you never have to worry about your file getting deleted.

How to use:
  1. Download: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuwQ8wjgcgW1kKcB8-LfcVtal9RUvw (OneDrive, login maybe required ~ I'll reupload if there's a problem)
  2. Extract Files
  3. Install_Client (It doesn't matter which version you pick, the patch will overwrite it)
  4. Patch with https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuwQ8wjgcgW1kKcJBXf3xMMj98Yh5g -- extract these files to the game's install folder (overwrite everything)
  5. Execute Run server.bat
  6. Play Game (use Launcher.exe for more resolution options
  7. Log in as Username = Admin; Password = Admin

! if you use Windows Defender in Windows 10, make an exception for PsoBB.exe, it brings a false positive. If it ever gets removed just load up Windows Defender and restore the quarantined file

~~

Notes:
You can change stuff like drop rates, edit your character etc. You can have your own account name but if you're planning on playing local only, just use the account "admin, admin" for usr and pass.

All the .ini files to do so are in the server folder (which is small). The admin file is automatically set to be a GM, and there are Item_Makers etc. included if you wish to use cheats.

~~

Windows Borderless Gaming: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WindowedBorderlessGaming

Controller Support: Like any other PSOBB client, this works perfectly with just about any controller (especially 360 or One).

~

IF YOU CANNOT NAME CHARACTER:
- It seems to only work with Japanese/Korean or US English keyboards. Add US English in your settings. If it doesn't work in game, use the short-cut SHIFT+Tab to change the Keyboard Layout

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, nice to know I can play the game without the need to have an online server and thus requirements to meet.
Will be a nice trip down memory lane.

Izuna

Banned
What happened to Schthack? I thought it was still up.

It reset months ago ~ that's enough to consider it to be unreliable. Regardless, being able to play offline is pretty special (you can even set it up to play with friends locally, very easy to do)

Is there any way to play splitscreen with this?

You can probably run two clients on the same computer and they will both connect to the same server. I can help you attempt to make this work, but I think controls might be the issue...

Zalusithix

i agree, but doing a run once in a while could be fun

its comforting

I had a good run with NeoPSO while it was still operational, so my nostalgia is good for awhile. Was a small population, but good fun with the regulars. Never got large enough to be remotely self sustaining though. Major game releases had massive impacts on the already limited server population.

Then the plug was pulled.

I think the only way I'd ever contemplate going back to PSOBB at this point would be if NeoPSO got restored. Can't be bothered to level up again, and I still have the DC version if I want some offline nostalgia.

My wife and I are playing PSO Xbox together and WHEN not IF the Xbox stops working I'm screwed. This would take that worry away as well as having the extra content. Thanks for this.

Iceman

I had a good run with NeoPSO while it was still operational, so my nostalgia is good for awhile. Was a small population, but good fun with the regulars. Never got large enough to be remotely self sustaining though. Major game releases had massive impacts on the already limited server population.

Then the plug was pulled.

I think the only way I'd ever contemplate going back to PSOBB at this point would be if NeoPSO got restored. Can't be bothered to level up again, and I still have the DC version if I want some offline nostalgia.

Wait, can your run the DC version offline? Is there some workaround I missed?

Izuna

Banned
My wife and I are playing PSO Xbox together and WHEN not IF the Xbox stops working I'm screwed. This would take that worry away as well as having the extra content. Thanks for this.

Yeah it's not very hard to make it connect to a local server that multiple PCs can use.

Izuna

Banned
Isn't Schtack PSO still up and running? Website seems to suggest it is going by a quick glance

Not only did they lose their database a while ago (restarted everyone)... you can't play Schthack PSO offline... which is the purpose of this very thread

Zalusithix

Wait, can your run the DC version offline? Is there some workaround I missed?

DC PSO v1/2 always had an offline mode. The characters were stored locally on the VMU. If you ever played on the DC, your character should still be on the VMU ready for offline play. You wouldn't be able to play the online only quests, but the general levels and stuff are fine.

Ephinea is a nice server, had a pretty good run there a few months back. You're better off there or on Ultima, IMO. Not sure what the appeal of playing locally is, unless you just want to mess around with custom rates or something. I dunno how good the new schthack is, but after losing hundreds of hours of progress there, I'll never go back.

Izuna

Banned
Ephinea is a nice server, had a pretty good run there a few months back. You're better off there or on Ultima, IMO. Not sure what the appeal of playing locally is, unless you just want to mess around with custom rates or something. I dunno how good the new schthack is, but after losing hundreds of hours of progress there, I'll never go back.

Next time I fly, I am totally playing this =P

And yeah, screw Schthack...

Ogni-XR21

When starting the client it says I need to update through the patchserver. Obviously that does not do anything. Am I missing something? Could this be due to me using the third install option?

Izuna

Banned
When starting the client it says I need to update through the patchserver. Obviously that does not do anything. Am I missing something? Could this be due to me using the third install option?

Yes.

I didn't put that instruction in for show. ~ you should have a folder called _Original in the root of the game though, which has the PsoBB file you need.

EDIT: OH WAIT YOU MAGNIFICENT FISH ~ I figured out how to get proper widescreen working. I'll update the OP when I get simple instructions working.

Ogni-XR21

Yes.

I didn't put that instruction in for show. ~ you should have a folder called _Original in the root of the game though, which has the PsoBB file you need.

I only saw the "first for XP" remark, thought it would be okay to use 2 or 3 then. Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Izuna

Banned
I only saw the "first for XP" remark, thought it would be okay to use 2 or 3 then. Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Yeah I did the same thing when I came across this client. I'll try to get the 12513 version working with the server, because by doing so we can get better graphics choices. For now, keep the _Original folder handy with all its original files.

ChazAshley

Gold Member
Thanks for this - spent tons of hours offline via dreamcast/GC - time to do that all over again.

I'm having issues with typing in english though - anybody have this problem? I can type in Korean when I switch my keyboard - but can't chat in game. I can type for my login (admin/admin) but in game typing nothing happens. Been reading around for fixes - but none of them seem to work (changing keyboard, locale and regions, etc.)

Anybody?

Ordinator

Thanks for this - spent tons of hours offline via dreamcast/GC - time to do that all over again.

I'm having issues with typing in english though - anybody have this problem? I can type in Korean when I switch my keyboard - but can't chat in game. I can type for my login (admin/admin) but in game typing nothing happens. Been reading around for fixes - but none of them seem to work (changing keyboard, locale and regions, etc.)

Anybody?

I'm having the same problem. Can't name my character.

Reishiki

Banned

Anybody?

I'm having the same problem. Can't name my character.

I have Japanese IME installed and ran into the same issue. I could only enter text by being in romanji mode.

Izuna

Banned

Anybody?

I think it's an issue with having multiple keyboards. I have to switch to my Japanese setting for it to work. Does the Korean language let you use SHIFT + tilde (http://cdn.computerhope.com/keyboard/tilde.jpg) to let you type in English?

--

I'll reupload a new version of the server, I think using the 1.25.13 version solves literally all of these issues.

Ogni-XR21

Yeah I did the same thing when I came across this client. I'll try to get the 12513 version working with the server, because by doing so we can get better graphics choices. For now, keep the _Original folder handy with all its original files.

Well, now I get it. You meant to always use the first option even when not using XP. I read it as "use option 1 if you use XP"

I blame not being a native speaker for this.

Looking forward to the new upload as I cannot name my character either.

Izuna

Banned
Well, now I get it. You meant to always use the first option even when not using XP. I read it as "use option 1 if you use XP"

I blame not being a native speaker for this.

Looking forward to the new upload as I cannot name my character either.

Okay, please download the patch in the OP and let me know if it's all working now. The Launcher I included also gives you lovely resolutions.

EDIT: I figured it out, it only works with US English layout. haha -- it's actually working for me even with UK English, so maybe my patch solved the problem. Damn this game looks so much better now.

Subscribed. I saw this thread earlier today while on lunch, and I think I'm gonna give it a solid shot.

Even if I can't play online with others, if this functions for me, I'd be pretty happy playing it here and there with a local save file that's safe. Downloading it now.

Are there any guides I can reference to see how to edit item drop rates and characters, like the OP says? First time working with the innards of a game (not sure how to word it lol). On Windows 7 if that's relevant.

Izuna

Banned
Are there any guides I can reference to see how to edit item drop rates and characters, like the OP says? First time working with the innards of a game (not sure how to word it lol). On Windows 7 if that's relevant.

This is something I am still figuring out. There's additional information about this project on pioneer2.net

So far I have figured a few things out

/server/ship.ini

has stuff like

# Box weapon drop rate
# Box armor/shield drop rate
# Box mag drop rate
# Box tool drop rate
# Box meseta drop rate
# Experience boost (Becomes x * 100%)

I don't know if setting those values to anything else is closer or further to the standard drop rates, but it feels quite normal to me.

/server/tethealla.ini

Has a few settings that lets you change the likelihood of rare enemies.

I don't yet know how to change specific drop rates, but I'm sure that it's as simple as finding which commands go into the ship.ini

----

If you want to make an item there are two ways to do it:

/item or /give commands work (the latter puts it in your inventory)

To use it, go into /extras/ and find the Item_Maker.exe

Pick the attributes etc. and hit make, it will give you some Hex numbers ~ insert them in the form of: /item 12345678,12345678,12345678,12345678

Of course you can only use such commands if you are a GM, but since you're playing local just use the admin account. Otherwise you have to specify your Guild Card being a GM in the /server/localgms.ini (set the value after the Guild Card to 3 to have all access)

Finally, and I'm not sure if this required, but I couldn't get /item to work without some tinkering so perhaps you need to add it to the ini so it looks like this:

# /event = 1
# /item = 2
# /give = 4
# /warpme = 8

And finally, /redbox forces the next enemy to drop whatever its rare item is. I'll do some looking to see if there is a way to simply increase rare drop rate.

Lunarian

Neo Member
Uh...Run_Server is a file or...? Not understanding this. I downloaded it and everything but it won't let me play offline. Doin somethin wrong x-x!

Izuna

Banned
Uh...Run_Server is a file or...? Not understanding this. I downloaded it and everything but it won't let me play offline. Doin somethin wrong x-x!

It's the Run server.bat -- it should show load each part of the server (you should have 3 tasks running in your system menu)

Once that's running, you can simply play the game (sign in using username: admin, password: admin)

Thanks for the info on items so far.

Question, I know I need to place the patch stuff into _Original, but in that folder, I have TethExes12510 and TethExes 12513 folders, does it matter which of these I place the patch files to overwrite? I believe I chose 12510 Vista/7/8 during install.

Izuna

Banned
Thanks for the info on items so far.

Question, I know I need to place the patch stuff into _Original, but in that folder, I have TethExes12510 and TethExes 12513 folders, does it matter which of these I place the patch files to overwrite? I believe I chose 12510 Vista/7/8 during install.

Ignore those folders now, just use the files in the patch.zip I made.

You don't put them in that folder, just overwrite stuff the game's root. It doesn't matter which you you chose when you installed the Client because it is overwritten anyway.

Basically, the version we want to use is 12513, but the server wants 12510. I can't be bothered to recompile the server so I created a PsoBB file that IS 12513 but thinks its 12510. The version number on the bottom-left when you start the game is false, but that doesn't matter.

Top Bottom