• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You can't save/fast travel/interact/etc while enemies are around" has become one of my biggest gaming pet peeves

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I think I understand why game devs implemented this shit originally. To prevent gamers from save scumming and using it to exploit certain games or cheesing your way out of fights by easily fast traveling outta there. But it's become far more of an annoyance than it is good. Playing games where you can't look a fucking corpse or open a chest until all the enemies are defeated. Or in an area full of tons of enemies, you can't find one of them so you can't interact with the thing in the area you need to finish the mission until you find that one rogue enemy who drifted off. Or if you're gaming and something comes up and you need to save and quit really quick while clearing an area, but you can't just because. The worst is when you try to fast travel, it says enemies are around and there isn't an enemy in sight. The worst! It's so archaic.

It's so annoying and it's about damn time games stop having this.

Last edited:

Aldynes

This or stumbling upon something that is locked temporarily and needs you to follow the correct order for it to be interacted with, some games are too strict with their progress you can't even skip the smallest of task even if you've figured out what to do and have to wait for a dialogue to end or trigger a stupid flag...

levyjl1988

Banned
My biggest pet peeve right now is in Cyber Punk 2077 where I am unable to loot items clearly that looks lootable also limited save files, and save files that aren't in folders based on created characters.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
In Dark Souls you could do this. Hide behind a hallway or something and exit the game. Pick up from where you left off. I think it’s when you want to save and the “Save” button is still grayed out. Having a game respect real life is like waiting for the auto save icon or allowing you to pause during a cutscene without it just skipping all the way to gameplay. What’s even worse is when you know you have to save at a save spot right in front of you and the game decides to go into a cutscene.

Last edited:

The Fartist

Gold Member
5YHRccK.jpg

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I always thought it’s to prevent a situation when a player saves in a moment that will have them dying all the time, thus rendering the save and the progress useless.
To combat this though, a lot of games don't save your exact progress in the exact second you save, but sort of at a "checkpoint" right before a battle or whatever.

IoCaster

I always thought it’s to prevent a situation when a player saves in a moment that will have them dying all the time, thus rendering the save and the progress useless.
Reminds me of the time I saved in Diablo in a really bad spot which resulted in my having to restart the game. Not a big deal overall, but I learned a valuable lesson.

Cravis

To combat this though, a lot of games don't save your exact progress in the exact second you save, but sort of at a "checkpoint" right before a battle or whatever.
Even those can be FUBAR’d. I remember in COD World at War the checkpoint near the end of a level royally screwed me over.

An enemy had just tossed a stick grenade at my feet. Checkpoint saved appeared. It blew me up. Every. Damn. Time. Endless reloading with me thinking “maybe if I hold the stick in this direction I’ll move far enough away to just suffer damage.”

Nope. Had to completely restart that level. Fuck you Activision 😂

Kumomeme

it would be nice if they allow fast travel/teleportation under certain condition like if player level is higher few notches than enemy, or within few second after you finished quest objective for example.

sainraja

This or stumbling upon something that is locked temporarily and needs you to follow the correct order for it to be interacted with, some games are too strict with their progress you can't even skip the smallest of task even if you've figured out what to do and have to wait for a dialogue to end or trigger a stupid flag...
This is where Nintendo's game design shines or I guess the Zelda style of play by Nintendo shines.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I usually have no problems with this, except when it's not obvious where the enemies are. Ghost of Tsushima was driving me crazy at times with this because I had to go searching for the goons so I could finally use quick travel again...

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Yeah had it with a fallout 3 save and a fucking deathclaw would insta kill me upon loading.

DogofWar

For me, it's always like, "why the fuck is the battle music still playing, where is this sonuvabitch?"

I just love when in Skyrim that epic battle music comes and I conjure an atronarch, ready my bow and look at the sky for the longest time furiously looking for that dragon and then after 30 seconds a mudcrab nips my toes causing my ebony armor clad warrior ca 0.01 damage.

Kagey K

Banned
Stop trying to cheese the game, and actually play it.

Those restrictions are there for a reason, if you don’t understand gameplay between cutscenes that’s on you.

At a certain point they have to become movies for you all that can’t handle actual gameplay, during the game parts.

Last edited:

Aenima

Its funny cuz i have been playing Genshin Impact since it released and i always made sure to kill all the enemies around me before teleporting away. Just a few weeks ago i found out you can teleport no matter if thers enemies around or not.
But yeah, also playing Cyberpunk and if a enemy sees you and the game trigger you as being in combat mode, you cant save, or teleport as well.

cormack12

Gold Member
I find it more annoying that you can't stealth attack someone when in an encounter that you've triggered. Example, I just hit the end of Seattle Day Two in TLOU II and there's a little encounter at the end where you have to take a few enemies down. We enter combat and then take cover. I shimmy round the van where the guy is facing the opposite way and hasn't detected me but I can't stealth him. I have to club him to death or shoot him only. The option to take and knife in the neck has gone. It makes no sense.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nah it’s a good mechanic that makes a ton of sense. Fast travel isn’t instant teleportation.. it’s a time skip.

why not just put an option to skip the game and instantly win? 😒

When I learned I can fast-travel under any circumstances in BOTW combat, climbing, gliding, swimming, etc. immediately lost all tension, so there can be downsides.

Moogle11

Banned
I don’t mind that all that much. I hate having to get to a fast travel point though, signposts in Witcher 3, the map stations in Cyberpunk etc.

That just creates boring traversal just to haul ass to one of those to get to where ever I want to warp to to get in with whatever quest I’m doing.

I‘m not much of a fan of the open world part of these games and am just there for the questing and stories and want to get in tenth those ASAP.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
On the flip side, exiting to the main menu during a Demon's Souls invasion was a great way to avoid death ;)

Spaceman292

Banned
Right. This rule makes complete sense. If you don't believe me, try playing Alien Isolation and hitting a save point when the alien has just popped in to the room and is 0.7 microseconds away from turning you inside out.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I really like how in BOTW you can fast travel at any given time, like... What's the point of having a teleport if you can't use it whenever you want but only when fucking enemies don't look at you?

If we had teleporting IRL, I'd for sure use it to scape dangerous situations, in Zelda there was a time that I fell inside a Hyrule castle's tower due to a guardian beam and it triggered a Centaleon and some minor enemies and got surrounded by all of them and (including the guardiand aiming at me) so I teleported quickly and scaped with like half a heart...

It literally didn't assured me I'd scape alive anyway cause it still was a matter of reactions to push the map button, there was no way one can fight and expect to win against that so I appretiate that the game puts you in difficult situations and lets you decide your luck.

NinjaBoiX

Nah it’s a good mechanic that makes a ton of sense. Fast travel isn’t instant teleportation.. it’s a time skip.

why not just put an option to skip the game and instantly win? 😒
I totally agree that it exists for a reason, but damn it’s annoying when you have no intention of cheesing and feel like you’re 100% in a “neutral” state but must scour your immediate surroundings for that lowly rat hiding behind a rock 100ft away.

Granted, this is a rare occurrence, but it’s very annoying when it happens!

Van Helsing

Neo Member
Exactly. When I played KOTOR 2 as a kid, I made the mistake of manually saving a split second before an enemy killed me. Every time I loaded that save, I was met with a game over screen before I could do anything. That was my only save, and I never went back to the game because of it.

DeVeAn

I’m playing Days Gone and yeah at night stuck in ”combat” so can’t fast travel. I’m with you it need to change. Respect my real life time please.

Amory

Yeah, it's annoying. I get why they did it but like, it's my game and it's a single player experience. If I want to save scum or run away from a battle by fast traveling what business is it of yours

Top Bottom