• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You favourite RTS.

What's your favourite RTS title/series?

• Red Alert

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • Command and Conquer

Votes: 19 13.2%
  • Age of Empires

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • Ground Control

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • World in Conflict

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Age of Mythology

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Rise of Nations

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Rise of Legends

• StarCraft

Votes: 25 17.4%
  • Warcraft

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Company of Heroes

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Homeworld

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Dawn of War

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Total Annihilation

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Close Combat

• Tropico

• Other...

Votes: 19 13.2%
  • Latecomer: Empire Earth

• Latecomer: Kohan

• Latecomer: Halo Ears

• Latecomer: Dune

• Total voters
I've tried to not miss anything obvious but sorry if i did.

I wake this morning in the warm glow of RTS nostalgia. I wanna know what your favourite is and - dare i hope? - some anecdotes~

Any titles in the poll which are the names of wider series rather than individual games should be treated as umbrella options for the series. If you want to specify more closely (say, tiberium sun vs c&c 4) i invite you to comment :)

EDIT: My choice (took a while)

Honourable mentions:

bVNjWm.gif

World in Conflict - I think this is probably the perfect modern warfare RTS. A descendant of the surpassing Ground Control series, I was recently replaying this and was completely dumbfounded to hear that it was made in 2007!!! It is gorgeous to this very f*cking day. And the gameplay is addictive, the campaign smooth as silk and really tense.

Warcraft 3 - This game was a Big Bang of an RTS game for me. Games would never be the same again, and it would lead directly into a 15+ year WoW addiction. I'd just be wasting words if I tried to say more, it was just the lushest, more dramatic, most visually stimulating, more completion-inspiring game I ever played.

Age of Mythology - Basically better than Age of Empires 2, it came later and didn't get as much playtime but hot DAMN.

Rise of Legends - I loved Rise of Nations with a burning passion, but RISE OF LEGENDS is where it's at with this series! Fantastic gameplay changes, great graphics, awesome units, it was just a total adventure and I recommend it to everyone.

Ground Control - The first title was a huge groundbreaker and a total delight. It blew my little brain apart when I first saw it in like 1999 or something, at a neighbor's house, and to this day i think the graphics are timeless and really stylish.

Homeworld - you can't not mention homeworld, but it was basically everything I said for ground control but space-bound, more epic, with beautiful music and fantastic battles/ships. It just had next to no replayability compared to other games on this list.

>>this thread has let me get in touch with my inner RTS fan, which i am, probably, first and foremost<<

My pick: Age of Empires (series)

BadPerfumedIzuthrush-max-1mb.gif

^^Hard to find good gifs ^^

It can only be Age of Empires. Other games were more explosive, more dramatic, more beautiful, but none of the games had the pitch perfect gameplay, and none of them ate up as many hours as AoE2 did for me, and Age of Empires before it. I've been playing this RTSs since the very dawn of my PC career back in 1998.

Awesome campaigns, pretty landscapes, great iconic units, a rock solid economy, a diamond of a Random Map game creator and mission editor... A few lackluster HD remakes don't detract from the prefect of Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors Expansion.

Last edited:
Good question. It’s a tough call for me but I have a soft spot for SC. I played the crap out of that game when I was young. Its not the deepest game on the list but man I just loved it

Honorable mention:

Homeworld and AoE2

I never played Red Alert or Red Alert 2

Last edited:
Good question. It’s a tough call for me but I have a soft spot for SC. I played the crap out of that game when I was young. Its not the deepest game on the list but man I just loved it

Honorable mention:

Homeworld and AoE2

I never played Red Alert or Red Alert 2
Red Alert 2 has one of the greatest opening missions of all time :p and i love the marine sandbagging function.. give it a go if you can be bothered... RA1 is really fun too - build queues, airports and scuds in a 90s rts? - but it's a bit too dated for me to suggest it as an ambassador for the series.

SC really great, no doubts about it. I personally probably prefer war3 because I'm more of a single player, and the 3d engine was a new dawn for me, personally. (Ground Control was an earlier and arguably better 3D engine but it wasn't really the same flavour~)

Last edited:
Empire earth is up there for me. But probably red alert 2
Shite, knew i forgot something obvious!

So epic! So optimistic! Such great production values! But it just didn't age as well as Rise of Nations (in my mind its competitor), the 3d engine felt technologically behind older games like Ground Control~ I loved how epic it was.. the first world war missions were inspiring~

Total Annihilation, but I've played pretty much every game listed and love them all.

I have a soft spot for Close Combat (A Bridge Too Far, specifically) because at the time it was marvelous to see flanking maneuvers, suppressing fire, cones of coverage, morale, etc all playing a role in battle. Tough game, too.

Is this the part where we post favorite a few songs from favorite RTSs? Because the soundtracks were a big part of my fond memories, too

No mention of the Kohan games, OP? For shame.
tenor.gif

I should be fucked up! 100% agree! Immortal Sovereigns and Ahriman's Gift were amazing!

What the hell was up with them!? They were so unique and amazing! Gorgeous graphics, really interesting economy and gameplay, fantastic combat, and so immersive! I was a young gamer at the time and i just totally fell in love with the whole deal.. tapped heavily into my LOTR mania at the time... I'll never forget Garland and Darius and the Gaur and the voice acting and the music and the spell effects and environments and the difficulty oh oh oh~

Love song for Kohan^^^^

Not sure if it qualifies due to the fact that you can pause in single player and there's the extra map layer, but I absolutely love the Total War: Warhammer series.

Warhammer 2 definitely one of my favourite of all time but naah i didn't think i could put it in an RTS poll, big love though

Longcat

Jeez, it's harder than I thought to pick just one favorite, but I'll just say Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance for now.

But I also really love the Battle for Middle Earth series (GOG pls, save these games). And World in Conflict.

Jeez, it's harder than I thought to pick just one favorite, but I'll just say Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance for now.

But I also really love the Battle for Middle Earth series (GOG pls, save these games). And World in Conflict.

harder than you thought, ikr?!?!!

i recently got my hands on BfME (i think it's abandonware? so you can play it today if you want) unfortunately it didn't age well... in the weirdest of ways!

Somehow the engine used to just slow everything down when the game got to the edge of losing frame rate... at least it did on my computer.. so like all of eomer's charges were in slow-mo and very badass for me.. seeing individual orcs dying.. ditto gandalg's push and aoe lightening spell... aragorn's one hit kill was easier to spot and see the consequences of :p but on my new computer lol all those slow-downs are gone and what's left feels a lot less epic ROFL

supreme commander was a great idea, but i found it really hard to get into. maybe one day i'll try it again~

I have yet to cast my vote and World in Conflict is, i shit you not, one of the handful of titles I'm thinking about selecting.

TexMex

Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne. By far.

But I loved tons. Age of Empires 1/2, Starcraft and Red Albert 2. Man I loved that 90s/early 2000s PC RTS blitz. On dial up, connecting directly to my friends and getting in trouble for tying up the landline.

Lord take me back.

Mohonky

I love RTS but tend to be quite picky with them; if the management is too fiddly I get put off.

Warcraft 3 and Star Craft 2 are probably the ones I played the most, but not online

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Empires: Dawn of the Modern World. It was an Age of Empires clone that had a deep level and campaign editor, and a great MP mode that let you skirmish against CPU or Human enemies. Could set up a match of WWII USA vs Medieval England and drop a nuke on a castle if you wanted. I had the CD set when it came out, but I need to get it on GoG at some point.

Bolivar687

Banned
C&C, obviously. Favorites being Red Alert 2 for the best graphics and fluidity of the classic formula but C&C Generals probably takes the all time crown for me. This game really nailed the counter building of RTS, finding a build order to spam rush units was a death sentence. It also had really great flavor with the three factions, too. Campaigns were awesome and the expansion was likewise awesome.

The game that could have been a contender today though was Dawn of War III. It was abandoned by Relic after underperforming, the team really did not have a respect for the lore and failed to get behind the product after it shipped. But it had the most spectacular visuals and animations this genre has ever had. It combined the macro of base building and resource management with the micro of hero units and every line unit having activated abilities. Combat is insane with a huge premium on positioning and disruption. But what made it relevant as an RTS for today was the tempo mechanics, that you can't just one one fight or cheese a harvester ambush to win the game. You have to fight to obtain the advantage and then fight to preserve and extend it throughout the game. Comebacks are devastating when the player who's behind pulls it off.

The game had literally everything going for it except for the will of its development team to iterate and advocate their product.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Age of Empires, but I don't know which one :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I had so much fun playing LAN parties at the Uni dorms. We'd be 4 players and gang up on one of us every time :messenger_beaming:

teezzy

Banned
A lot of these games go over my head but I'm intrigued by the genre.

Out of all the ones I've attempted, the game which clicked with me most was Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds may be the one which clicked with me most. The familiarity of star wars made the game much easier for me to process, although I'm still not very gud

the game which clicked with me most was Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds may be the one which clicked with me most.
That's an Age of Empires 2 clone from memory, i liked that game too and enjoyed the licensing, no shame in digging it that's for sure!

C&C, obviously. Favorites being Red Alert 2 for the best graphics and fluidity of the classic formula but C&C Generals probably takes the all time crown for me. This game really nailed the counter building of RTS, finding a build order to spam rush units was a death sentence. It also had really great flavor with the three factions, too. Campaigns were awesome and the expansion was likewise awesome.

The game that could have been a contender today though was Dawn of War III. It was abandoned by Relic after underperforming, the team really did not have a respect for the lore and failed to get behind the product after it shipped. But it had the most spectacular visuals and animations this genre has ever had. It combined the macro of base building and resource management with the micro of hero units and every line unit having activated abilities. Combat is insane with a huge premium on positioning and disruption. But what made it relevant as an RTS for today was the tempo mechanics, that you can't just one one fight or cheese a harvester ambush to win the game. You have to fight to obtain the advantage and then fight to preserve and extend it throughout the game. Comebacks are devastating when the player who's behind pulls it off.

The game had literally everything going for it except for the will of its development team to iterate and advocate their product.
I actually differentiated between c&c and red alert on the poll. C&c being the kane stuff and generals, red alert being "ve vill bury them" etc etc

I have been looking for an excuse to try DoW3, maybe you've provided it~

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Starcraft (+BW) hands down, the plot and storytelling are second to none. WC3 and AoM were pretty neat as well.

Stronghold.

I'm still salty they haven't managed to produce any even remotely decent sequel in the past decade or so.
God i loved that game. Fantastic music, great story, wonderful... Nationality to the gameplay (i dunno why made it but it just felt like you were trudging around medieval England) great visuals, excellent combat and economy, really loved that game massively and treasure every playthrough. A bummer that crusader introduced that different campaign style and took out the narrative

So you and your father are about the same age?

From me, the classic:
dune-ii-the-building-of-a-dynasty_17.gif
Didn't know what the game was until i saw "fremen".. ye gads, you can train those TUBs? Op. O. P.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Literally impossible to say, depends on the mood and what kind of day it is. If you told me "from now on you will only be able to play 1 RTS for the rest of your life" then I would probably pick Dawn of War: Soulstorm. It isn't the best, but it is very entertaining and I still play it every once in a while since the release date (during the last couple of months I played around 40 hours of it).

Soulsdark

Do we not count Total War Warhammer?

I'd say, WC3, SC: Brood War and TW:Warhammer 2 in that order.
I actually really liked SC2 and had a tough time picking between SC2 and SC:Brood War.
Maybe that's a controversial opinion xD...

Edit: Not talking about campaign btw, if that's the case then SC: Brood War > SC2 any day of the week. By far.

Last edited:

MomoVideo

Banned
Im surprised that Warcraft got so few votes. I thought it would be more popular, but even games like Company of Heroes got more votes. I wonder if it has anything to do with recent remaster treatment.

Anyway, I would vote Warcraft 3 if I could. It's my most played RTS game to date and I still play it few times a year on a LAN Party.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Dune 2000 and Emperor: Battle for Dune I love the ip and these rts's were great with just enough depth and complexity for me. They also had great live-action cutscenes with John Rhys Davies! They borrowed heavily from the David Lynch Dune as far as design. So much fun.

Last edited:
. If you told me "from now on you will only be able to play 1 RTS for the rest of your life" then I would probably pick Dawn of War: Soulstorm.

How do you figure? That's the one expansion i never played, no particular reason, i just found Dark Crusade and the rest of the games felt too linear for me.. indeed i would personally respond with Dark Crusade were that question put to me~

But the way you talk about it suggests that it may also have an interesting take on the gameplay? Do tell!

Do we not count Total War Warhammer?

I think not, no... If we did i would very seriously consider putting Warhammer 2 as my #1.. it really is the definitive take on the Total War type, of all time, imo. Perfection, really... But no, not an RTS as i would define it.

i only played warcraft 2 but i don't really like the genre.
Well all i can say is There's scope for you to have your mind blown. Though i wouldn't offer StarCraft or Age of Empires 2 as an ambassador title...

Last edited:
Top Bottom