• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You favourite RTS.

What's your favourite RTS title/series?

• Red Alert

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • Command and Conquer

Votes: 19 13.2%
  • Age of Empires

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • Ground Control

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • World in Conflict

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Age of Mythology

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Rise of Nations

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Rise of Legends

• StarCraft

Votes: 25 17.4%
  • Warcraft

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Company of Heroes

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Homeworld

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Dawn of War

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Total Annihilation

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Close Combat

• Tropico

• Other...

Votes: 19 13.2%
  • Latecomer: Empire Earth

• Latecomer: Kohan

• Latecomer: Halo Ears

• Latecomer: Dune

• Total voters

NT80

Not really my genre of games but I love this one:

images

It was everything I wanted from an RTS. Fun campaign, fast, battle focused with large armies, fun hero units and big nice looking battles that really captured the look from the movies.
I've been looking around for something similar and as far as I can tell it doesn't exist. Some people recommended Total War but they are too technical for me, I don't like the turn based aspect and battles aren't nearly as nice/epic looking.

It's a shame that licensing issues are keeping this from getting a remaster or at least a digital re-release.
Apart from a bit of Halo Wars, LOTR:Battle for Middle Earth 2 is the only one I've played much of and it was really good. What others are in that mould of RTS?

Reactions: Fbh
Apart from a bit of Halo Wars, LOTR:Battle for Middle Earth 2 is the only one I've played much of and it was really good. What others are in that mould of RTS?
I can't quite remember the gameplay in that one but i remember the og battle for middle earth gameplay... I might suggest that Rise of Legends,a Rise of Nations sequel, might have a similar but perhaps deeper gameplay, and i know it's a pretty epic game.. might need to torrent it though it's super hard to get a copy of at the moment

V4skunk

Banned
Clicked TOTAL ANNIHILATION
I love RTS games where I can very slowly turtle with a lot of turrets, walls and fight off a lot of skirmish AI.
Total annihilation is great for this, Supreme commander2, parts of Dawn of War and amazing Middle Earth 2 with it's walls which I've not played since release.
Any recommendations for good turtling rts ?
Mod Total Annihilation? Or Supreme Commander?
My favourites of all time in this order are TA, Tiberian Sun, COH2, Supreme Commander, RA2 and Dawn of War1.

T-Cake

I've tried nearly all of them on the list but Age of Mythology is the only one where I completed all campaign missions. So that remains a favourite. Hope Microsoft get down to remastering it after AoE III/IV.

Doczu

Thanks. I'll check them out. In fact I may own some of them already lol
Oh shit almost forgot.
DO NOT TRY THE REMASTERED VERSION OF HOMEWORLD 1!
I may sound like a purist, but there are fundamental gameplay changes thst break the core balance. Simply put, the remastered version is just a "mod" put into Homeworld 2. It's pretty, like really pretty, but due to the fact it's running in the sequels engine a lot of stuff doesn't work correctly, or changes had to be made.
Formations break in the worst possible moment or your ships won't change it on request, fire mechanics have been changed, so that many weapons now work with RNG and R/P/S mechanics, some weapons don't travel to the target anymore, like missiles - it's an almost direct hit now, and many more changes. It may be nothing to someone new to the game, but it does change things a lot, makes it easier in some aspects (especially in the later part of the campaign) or so difficult i rage quit the game a few times.
Luckily you get the classic version if you buy the remaster. Not as pretty, but miles better.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Since they're included in the poll I figured this would be the place to complain: I really disliked the "Sid Meier-ification" of RTSs in the late 90s and early 00s. Games like Empire Earth, Rise of Nations, etc had too much emphasis on the tech tree and building your civilization instead of focusing on simple resource gathering and battling. Felt like a compromise where the 4x was too simplistic and the real-time strategy was too sluggish. I preferred titles like Shogun: Total War which had a proper split between 4x strategy and real-time battles.

On another note, I went through Age of Mythology for the first time a few years ago and was stunned by its quality (and it's brokenness). Favorite aspect of Age of Empires I and II was stealing the unique units using priests and rampaging across the map. AoM is basically all about the unique upgrades and unique units. The god powers remind me of Populous.

BlackTron

I heard good things and wanted to try the game, but I couldn't find it anywhere when I looked a few years ago. EA pulled down the game.

Thanks for the reminder, currently downloading it. Bout time I gave it a try.

shaddam

Hard to choose between AOE2, Tiberian Sun and RA2. Rise of Nations, Empire Earth is also great. I remember playing a lot of Empire Earth with my brother, the hungarian dubbing was really good. Bought it on GoG not long ago, but it is so strange without dub :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I started playing AOE2 again, the game is really deep

REDRZA MWS

I guess “othe
I've tried to not miss anything obvious but sorry if i did.

I wake this morning in the warm glow of RTS nostalgia. I wanna know what your favourite is and - dare i hope? - some anecdotes~

Any titles in the poll which are the names of wider series rather than individual games should be treated as umbrella options for the series. If you want to specify more closely (say, tiberium sun vs c&c 4) i invite you to comment :)

EDIT: My choice (took a while)

Honourable mentions:

bVNjWm.gif

World in Conflict - I think this is probably the perfect modern warfare RTS. A descendant of the surpassing Ground Control series, I was recently replaying this and was completely dumbfounded to hear that it was made in 2007!!! It is gorgeous to this very f*cking day. And the gameplay is addictive, the campaign smooth as silk and really tense.

Warcraft 3 - This game was a Big Bang of an RTS game for me. Games would never be the same again, and it would lead directly into a 15+ year WoW addiction. I'd just be wasting words if I tried to say more, it was just the lushest, more dramatic, most visually stimulating, more completion-inspiring game I ever played.

Age of Mythology - Basically better than Age of Empires 2, it came later and didn't get as much playtime but hot DAMN.

Rise of Legends - I loved Rise of Nations with a burning passion, but RISE OF LEGENDS is where it's at with this series! Fantastic gameplay changes, great graphics, awesome units, it was just a total adventure and I recommend it to everyone.

Ground Control - The first title was a huge groundbreaker and a total delight. It blew my little brain apart when I first saw it in like 1999 or something, at a neighbor's house, and to this day i think the graphics are timeless and really stylish.

Homeworld - you can't not mention homeworld, but it was basically everything I said for ground control but space-bound, more epic, with beautiful music and fantastic battles/ships. It just had next to no replayability compared to other games on this list.

>>this thread has let me get in touch with my inner RTS fan, which i am, probably, first and foremost<<

My pick: Age of Empires (series)

BadPerfumedIzuthrush-max-1mb.gif

^^Hard to find good gifs ^^

It can only be Age of Empires. Other games were more explosive, more dramatic, more beautiful, but none of the games had the pitch perfect gameplay, and none of them ate up as many hours as AoE2 did for me, and Age of Empires before it. I've been playing this RTSs since the very dawn of my PC career back in 1998.

Awesome campaigns, pretty landscapes, great iconic units, a rock solid economy, a diamond of a Random Map game creator and mission editor... A few lackluster HD remakes don't detract from the prefect of Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors Expansion.
I guess “other” applies to Halo Wars 2.

anab0lic

Neo Member
Total Annihilation with the community made units, which were really well done, was so god damn good. Had a lot of fun playing this at lan parties with buddys. Would love a remake of this game, but seems like the license is stuck with a holder that doesn't care to do anything with it. Some of my favorite music in all of video games to, by Jeremy soule.

C&C generals + zero hour - loved how unique each faction was, only ever played it single player but looks like it was and still is a great competitive game.

Dawn of war - really liked the capturing territorial requisition posts aspect to this game, which meant you couldn't just sit back and turtle you were constantly fighting for territory control... lots of interesting tech tree decisions and builds to experiment with. Had Just enough micro from my liking unlike starcraft which takes that aspect too far for my tastes. The theme totally does it for me too having been a big warhammer geek as a kid. Didn't care for the direction they took the gameplay in DoW2 and Dow 3...lets not even talk about that abomination.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Supreme Commander and Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. I loved the scale of it both in single player and in big online free-for-all matches. Also because I like turtling and its possible in that game to turtle while building long range artillery and superweapons.

Shai-Tan

Banned
No, do talk,i hear wildly contrasting opinions on this game, can you explain the mote of appeal it seems to hold?

apparently many didn’t like the warcraft 3 inspired hero focus of DoW2 so those people went on and on about wanting a game more like DoW 1. I dont think most actually wanted that so they had to evolve it somehow and the direction they took didn’t quite work. Total Warhammer (fantasy) had also come out before it so it kind of paled in comparison. Would love Creative Assembly to take a wack at 40k eventually considering they both are owned by Sega?

JLB

Banned
I suck at RTS'. Need time to mix drinks in between turns a la Final Fantasy classic TB system.

But i voted for Warcraft. Loved WC2

Warcraft 2 is sublime. One of my most played games on the 90s. Was Dune 2 -> Warcraft 2 at the time, and then fucking Red Alert, who changed RTS for good forever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom