• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You have $$$ for ONE next gen console — which do you buy and why?

PocoJoe

Banned
I own both Xbox One X and Ps4 Pro. Stopped using Pc for games a decade ago. That said, if I could only choose one next gen console, I would definitely go for Xbox. It might sound silly, but you should try and test controllers for both consoles - one of the reasons I haven't bought a single multiplatform game on ps4 is because Xbox controller is simply better in my humble opinion.

Xbox uses wrong layout for sticks so I dont think that it can be called better one objectively.

Zero reason to have unsymmetrical sticks, it just makes it weird to hold it, when other parts are symmetrical(case/triggere)

Xbox uses wrong layout for sticks so I dont think that it can be called better one objectively.

Zero reason to have unsymmetrical sticks, it just makes it weird to hold it, when other parts are symmetrical(case/triggere)

giphy.gif

xool

Let’s say you have $$$ for ONLY ONE next gen console ..
Pretends it's a hypothetical question.

ok. Looks like Xbox is going further down the rental ("console as a service") route, which I don't really like. Unless they reveal something amazing hardware wise, or something something Fable 4 .. probably PS5.

Akuza89

Xbox's next gen.

I've already got the online, which in my opinion is the best online there is on consoles, i love the controller layout (which I imagine won't stray far from the one's), yes the xbox one doesn't have any exclusives people want, but with the recent acquisitions it's difficult to ignore them, regardless of people's distain for xbox as a brand...

PlayStation 5. Overall I'm more of a Sony fan then a Xbox fan. That being said I will probably own both at some point. I've kind fell out of PC for the most part.

If PS5 isn't that attractive and the next Xbox is though I will get Xbox first. It's about the games.

Probably only PS5. I will likely never give up PC gaming [too many advantages] and now almost all xbox games are on PC and ultimate versions of nintendo games are on PC through emulation.

Mr.Bond

Not enough info on them to make an informed choice, but if it were similar to today i would buy the next XBOX.
My pro keeps getting dust after i finished spider-man.

biglloyd37

Neo Member
As of right now I can see the PS5 being the obvious choice for a lot of people, myself included. Sony was on fire this generation and there's no indication that their momentum will not continue into the next one. However, with Microsoft obtaining all of the studios they have in the past year, I can definitely see the next Xbox coming out of the gate strong with console exclusives, especially after how lackluster this generation has been for first-party titles/exclusives on Xbox One (there have definitely been a few gems along the way, but those were few and far between, with Microsoft relying too much on Forza, Halo, and Gears imo).

Foxbat

Banned
Easily Xbox.

Sony had some exciting new ip's this gen, that gave me some new experiences. It really looks like next gen will be the opposite where Xbox releases several new ip's, while Playstation will be filled with sequels. HZD2, Spiderman2, GoW, and TLOU will all get sequels next gen, while MS's new studios will be releasing new ip.

Of the current established ip between both Sony and MS.... MS's also offer far more replayability as well.

Last edited:

biglloyd37

Neo Member
Sony had some exciting new ip's this gen, that gave me some new experiences. It really looks like next gen will be the opposite where Xbox releases several new ip's, while Playstation will be filled with sequels. HZD2, Spiderman2, GoW, and TLOU will all get sequels next gen, while MS's new studios will be releasing new ip.

I can easily see that being the case. Microsoft has the potential next gen to release a ton of new IP while their established franchises have a prominent— but less central—role. I do think that Sony will have some tricks up their sleeve for the PS5 though. While they haven’t acquired as many studios as Microsoft has during the past year or two, they already previously owned a ton of studios beforehand.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Playstation obviously, because of investment in software and services made this gen carrying over.

Leonidas

Xbox. Games with Gold and Game Pass supply countless games. And my Xbox digital collection spans hundreds of games.

Would have been a tossup if Sony continued with their previous PS+ arrangement but since they dropped it to only two games per month I have decided to let my subscription lapse(and along with it 90% of my PS4 digital collection).

quickwhips

Xbox.
I have more games on Xbox then ps4 so they all transfer for me to play.
I'm getting 4 games a month with gold.
I prefer the Xbox elite controller
My friends are mostly on Xbox.
I like my game share partner on Xbox better.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Whichever gives me the best single player experiences. So probably PS5' even though I've preferred Xbox since it started.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Playstation, since I have a PC that will probably play every xbox exclusive worth playing next-gen. Nintendo in a distant second place.

Norse

Without real specs on next gen it hard to say for sure. But, if nextbox is even close in power to PS5 I'll go Xbox again. I have too much invested in my digital games to switch without a huge reason to. I've been happy with Xbox since the original and just prefer it over the competition.

Neolombax

PS5. If this generation is any indication, Sony has better exclusives in my opinion, although that may change for next gen. I'm also invested in several Sony IP's like Infamous, God of War, Ratchet and Clank and HZD, or even older Sony exclusives like Sly Cooper.

Strazyplus

Let’s say you have $$$ for ONLY ONE next gen console: PS5 or XBOX Next — and you will only have that one console for the next 5 years... which one do you buy and why?

I had PS2 and 3 didn't get any xbox. I might go xbox this time around. I rather spend money on my PC instead tho!

GenericUser

- I had 11 red ring of deaths on my original xbox 360
- I'll never forget the bs that MS tried to pull off at the beginning of this generation (always online, 24h check in etc.)
-microsoft were the first who charged for online multiplayer (maybe it'd still be free if microsoft didn't open the box of the pandora)

This is the stuff from he top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing something. Don't get me wrong, Sony is no saint either, but microsoft is a no go for me at the moment.

Justin9mm

Never had an Xbox before I bought the One X after having the PS4 and upgrading to Pro. Now I'm on the fence!

I love GamePass and the idea of it so it is a factor to me. The power is another factor if there is a notable gap between the new PlayStation and Xbox. I know I'll buy both but I would be leaning towards PlayStation as it has always been my main console before I bought the X. Considering Cyberpunk 2077 will most likely be cross gen and I want the to play it on the next gen console, I will probably buy whichever releases first. I don't horde consoles, so if it be the Xbox, I buy the new one and sell my X, if it be PlayStation, I buy the new one and then sell my Pro.

The next Xbox, MS have done great things the past 2 years for the gaming community not just the console gamers, really excited for both next gen consoles but Xbox just pips Ps5.

ph33rknot

Banned
- I had 11 red ring of deaths on my original xbox 360
- I'll never forget the bs that MS tried to pull off at the beginning of this generation (always online, 24h check in etc.)
-microsoft were the first who charged for online multiplayer (maybe it'd still be free if microsoft didn't open the box of the pandora)

This is the stuff from he top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing something. Don't get me wrong, Sony is no saint either, but microsoft is a no go for me at the moment.
i had way more ps1/2 no one ever remembers ps2 shitty disc drive and they're a hardware company

Last edited:
I guess I've already made my choice since I bought a Switch.

I'd still stick with the Switch as my purchase. I'm eager to see what PS5 does, but I'm only interested if it offers an impressive suite of b.c. features and retro ports.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
PS5.
1. Playstation has been my main system all along and I currently have a large digital libraby/backlog which will be available through BC.

2. Most of my friends are there.

3, They have had the better first party offering for awhile now and with Xbox Play anywhere If there is anything exclusive to xbox I want to play I dont necessarily need an Xbox to do so.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah XBOX cant offer anything for me vs Sony

PS5 it is, even if it would cost 2x more and be weaker.

Xbox offers no games I like + their controller layout fucking sucks

I actually prefer their controller (have the Elite and use it for PC), but don't mind the DS4 at all. I'm pretty adaptable to controllers and have never really had strong preferences.

I just hope they have a lot better battery life on the PS5 controller. I get tired of playing with my DS4 plugged in so often (I tend to binge super long sessions when I game).

Roberts

It has been interesting to read different opinions and most of them make total sense (attachment to one brand because of the library, online friends and so on). One thing puzzles me a bit, though: a lot of people say that they would chose PS5 because of the exclusives and that xbox doesn't have any. Let's pretend everybody here has a good gaming PC and only play consoles for the exclusives. Now PS4 has quite a lot of exclusives, but most of them are single player games that take 10-40 hours to complete. But it is not like the list of games is endless and it is also not like a regular player would want to play all of them. So, I would say 300 hours of gameplay at absolute maximum. I spent 500 hours playing games last year alone. So my question is: Is it really worth it? (that's something I ask myself as well, because after playing those few Sony exclusives, my Pro has been collecting dust.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am PC first with a huge thing for Nintendo but those are not the options. I love the Xbox one yet this last gen for Bloodborne alone I would choose the PS5. I always find these questions strange as many of us own everything.

Flayer

Microsoft always seem to promise a lot and deliver diddly squat so I certainly would not buy anything they put out sight unseen. It's usually a load of waffle and speculation with them followed by disappointment.

Gafmau5

Neo Member
I’m gonna go with Xbox mainly because of the effort Microsoft is putting into back compat guarantees the future of my previous purchases for atleast those 5 years.

Foxbat

Banned
Microsoft always seem to promise a lot and deliver diddly squat so I certainly would not buy anything they put out sight unseen. It's usually a load of waffle and speculation with them followed by disappointment.

So much salt for one post. So salty in fact, that you forgot to answer the question OP asked.

Top Bottom