• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You have $$$ for ONE next gen console — which do you buy and why?

juliotendo

Let’s say you have $$$ for ONLY ONE next gen console: PS5 or XBOX Next — and you will only have that one console for the next 5 years... which one do you buy and why?

zenspider

Icm probably going to sit the next gen out as long as I can, but Playstation is the easy blind choice.

OG Xbox is the only Microsoft console I ever preferred in a generation, and there's never been lean times on a Sony home machine.

Last edited:

Caffeine

I was planning to buy only one anyway. it would be xbox for library investment moving forward. plus friends.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't know really, still feels too early to tell.

If I had to choose one though...I guess Xbox. Main reason is I'm a sucker for power, and I just feel Xbox is more committed to that currently. I really wanna see what these new studios do, particularly the Initiative. I'm not missing out on that for some Sony exclusives that I basically already know and recognize. Consumer friendliness is a big part of it as well and Xbox is trending upward and Sony is trending downward in that regard.

There's other smaller things like Xbox having the better network and better valued services like with exclusives being available day 1 on game pass. I also prefer Xbox's controller style for most games...though we don't know what the next Xbox will have. It's might Duke 2 lol.

To me, Sony is holding its exclusives for ransom. The price you pay is dealing with censorship, lack of crossplay, an inferior network and it doesn't look like that's changing anytime soon. Maybe they'll turn it around, but for right now it seems they are playing keep away because they are king of the hill.

I don't serve Sony or Xbox...I pay money, and Sony and Xbox serves me. Fanboyism is nonsense.

Pantz

Xbox because it's my biggest digital library. Plus I like the ecosystem, the BC and while i don't obsess over them I do like achievements.

In 5 years my Xbox backlog still won't even have a dent in it, it will just grow longer 10 times over. So If in 5 years I can get a different console, any games that come along with it will just go on top of the pile with all the rest.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
PS5.

Their first party, cinematic narrative driven games are my absolute favorites. I don’t care much for most of MS’s exclusives other than Gears and Halo.

KiteGr

Until recently PS5 would had been an easy choice, but they've got censor-frenzy recently so I'm not sure at the moment. If I jump ship, I'm thinking of going to Nintendo, and if I don't jump ship, I'm thinking of quiting modern gaming all together.

Reactions: Isa
I'd first go with the Next Xbox... And why you ask? Because I'm about to waste 100s of hours on Halo Infinite. Im still buying a PS5 later on because no way Im missing out on Sony's 1P games.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I actually only plan to buy one console next Gen. I wish I liked Nintendo games cause I think the Switch is super cool, alas their games aren't for me.

I tried PS for the first time this Gen and hated it. Didn't like the console, despised the controller and interface and was underwhelmed by the exclusives except HZD.

I LOVE my OneX, BC, GamePass, controller, pretty much everything about the Xbox and that's where I'll stay next Gen.

ZywyPL

Banned
Xbox easily - better controller, better online service, quieter, constant OS improvements, more variety of games, and FM8 FTW!

Been with PS since the very beginning, and it's so sad to see what it turned out to be now. The not-so-friendly/anticonsumer approach, downloads speeds are ridiculous, DS4 is far from ergonomic heaven, and its build quality is even worse, GT is dead, and Sony doesn't have anything to offer other than reskinned TLoF over and over. Sorry but I don't have any basis to believe is Sony and blind pick, they fucked up so hard this gen I'll have to watch their next-gen actions for a few years before I decide whether to get the PS5 or not.

somerset

I'm not a console head- but look at things from a tech and game POV. Microsoft was a joke last time (its 'experts' shouted down AMD, insisted on MS's rubbish special memory chip, and got all obsolete AMD tech as a result). Sony was smart, had people who actually understood tech, and got AMD's future tech and added some very good ideas of their own.

Result- PS4 scorched the dreadful Xbox One, and went on to have all the killer exclusives.

Now this time round MS doesn't want to make the same mistake- and intends for the Xbox Next to focus on pure trad gaming with *zero* gimmicks (goodbye Kinect/VR) and mind-blowing performance. But MS 'experts' are still dumb as rocks.

Sony is clearly going all in on VR- and should have industry best home VR option on PS5 by a wide margin. Believe me, well done home VR (currently *not* a thing- and I should know having use of Rift and MS whatever-its-called) will be a game changer for a ton of gamers. And Sony's new exclusives should trounce MS once again.

I think Sony's GPU system will be a GPU per eye on VR (where the two GPUs work together at prob 1.7 efficiency for normal 2D games). Anyway if Sony's absolute non-VR performance is less than MS, it will only be by a little bit.

The only killer factor seems to be Sony's vile weaponised SJW policies- which leads to repulsive actions like no real user mods allowed in games like Skyrim or Fallout (can't risk those 'nude' textures, don't you know, even tho MS doesn't allow them either- yet MS still allows user data in mods unlike control freak Sony).

In other words, on the edge of total victory, Sony's alt-left controllers seemed determined to alienate ordinary gamers, and this must be a factor in the choice of either new console.

But politics aside, as someone who has tracked MS *before* even the little known Windows 1.0 existed, I'd say I'm really hard pushed to understand why someone would buy MS on day one. A couple of years later with price wars, and MS' desperate and powerful X version, things change, but day one MS's incompetence always shines through.

PS I've never understood how anyone could be a 'fanboy' of a company as repulsive as Microsoft. I use the Windows OS, and there is no better (unfortunately), but even so I never forget just how horrible MS is as a company. The same goes for Intel- Intel and MS have always been two peas in a pod.

Fanboys of Sony and Nvidia I get. But fanboys of MS or Intel- WTF?

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm not a console head- but look at things from a tech and game POV. Microsoft was a joke last time (its 'experts' shouted down AMD, insisted on MS's rubbish special memory chip, and got all obsolete AMD tech as a result). Sony was smart, had people who actually understood tech, and got AMD's future tech and added some very good ideas of their own.

Result- PS4 scorched the dreadful Xbox One, and went on to have all the killer exclusives.

Now this time round MS doesn't want to make the same mistake- and intends for the Xbox Next to focus on pure trad gaming with *zero* gimmicks (goodbye Kinect/VR) and mind-blowing performance. But MS 'experts' are still dumb as rocks.

Sony is clearly going all in on VR- and should have industry best home VR option on PS5 by a wide margin. Believe me, well done home VR (currently *not* a thing- and I should know having use of Rift and MS whatever-its-called) will be a game changer for a ton of gamers. And Sony's new exclusives should trounce MS once again.

I think Sony's GPU system will be a GPU per eye on VR (where the two GPUs work together at prob 1.7 efficiency for normal 2D games). Anyway if Sony's absolute non-VR performance is less than MS, it will only be by a little bit.

The only killer factor seems to be Sony's vile weaponised SJW policies- which leads to repulsive actions like no real user mods allowed in games like Skyrim or Fallout (can't risk those 'nude' textures, don't you know, even tho MS doesn't allow them either- yet MS still allows user data in mods unlike control freak Sony).

In other words, on the edge of total victory, Sony's alt-left controllers seemed determined to alienate ordinary gamers, and this must be a factor in the choice of either new console.

But politics aside, as someone who has tracked MS *before* even the little known Windows 1.0 existed, I'd say I'm really hard pushed to understand why someone would buy MS on day one. A couple of years later with price wars, and MS' desperate and powerful X version, things change, but day one MS's incompetence always shines through.

PS I've never understood how anyone could be a 'fanboy' of a company as repulsive as Microsoft. I use the Windows OS, and there is no better (unfortunately), but even so I never forget just how horrible MS is as a company. The same goes for Intel- Intel and MS have always been two peas in a pod.

Fanboys of Sony and Nvidia I get. But fanboys of MS or Intel- WTF?

You're honestly justifying fanboyism for some companies and not others? I was with you til you said that.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Tough choice.

On one hand, I would usually get the most powerful console, since I will play all 3rd party games on it. Like currently with my Xbox One X. Since Xbox will probably be more powerful, that’d make me choose Xbox.

On the other hand, Halo aside, Microsoft’s first party has become insanely uninspiring for me. Sony keeps bringing out epics like Bloodborne, Uncharted, Infamous, God of War, Last of Us, Spiderman, Horizon, Detroit, Until Dawn, Astro Bot, just to mention a few. Also, I love PSVR but can’t stand the camera or cables, so a wireless, inside-out PSVR2 would be my dream come true.

So if I could only have one, I would probably go for PS5 for the exclusives and PSVR2. In reality, I would get also the Xbox for Halo and 3rd party games.

Fbh

Knowing what we know right now (not much): Ps5.

PS has been my main platform these past few gens, I've generally liked the exclusive output from Sony better and it still seems to have more support from Japanese devs (with stuff like Yakuza, Persona, Dragon Quest, etc). Also with Backwards compatibility it ensures I can sell my Pro to help cover the cost while still retaining access to all of my ps4 games

JSoup

Banned
This is easy, PS5.
Because the PSN is where most of my gaming friends are.
If I had to expand on that, while I like the aesthetics of the XBox, I've never really found a good reason to switch from my perfectly fine Sony system. And I'm not paying the Nintendo tax on every game I'm interested in, so fuck that.

Codes 208

TBD

Seriously, why ask that if we literally know nothing aside from the fact they exist and vague specs? What exclusives can I expect? How are the controllers? How’s the online? What’s the price? Which has betterports? Which will my friends choose?

scalman

nah man i will have money for console number 5 , not ONE . One will have all same games with pc.
nothing bad about xbox games , it has some good games there sure and im enjoying them on my laptop.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

If I had to pick right now, probably xbox. I generally prefer xbox exclusives, features and interface a lot more. and because I'm not a PC gamer.

real answer is: I'll wait and see

Petrae

There’s not enough concrete information out there to commit to dropping more than half a grand on any Gen9 box.

— What does the launch lineup look like?
— What is the on-board storage space, and will there be an option for additional external storage?
— Have installation speeds improved? Have download speeds improved?
— How, exactly, will backwards compatibility work?
— What are the specifications in terms of the machine’s size? How loud will it be?

If I was interested in getting a Gen9 machine at or just after launch, I need the answers to these questions. $500+ is a fuckton of money for me to just throw down on a feeling that it’s gonna be worth it or because of loyalty to any brand.

DavidGzz

Halo is due, they have the studios for exclusives this time, they may have the power edge, and BC is more assured all the way to Xbox Original so it would have to be Xbox. I feel like Playstation hits it's stride 2+ years in.

Roberts

I own both Xbox One X and Ps4 Pro. Stopped using Pc for games a decade ago. That said, if I could only choose one next gen console, I would definitely go for Xbox. It might sound silly, but you should try and test controllers for both consoles - one of the reasons I haven't bought a single multiplatform game on ps4 is because Xbox controller is simply better in my humble opinion.

Top Bottom