• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch 2 sold over 1.2 million units during first 4 days in Japan (Famitsu)

Opiate

MH, Pokemon and some others didn't stop the huge contraction of both the handheld and console sector in terms of hardware and software sooo

Japanese game market is not dead. Just no where near how big it was in the past. Still one of the biggest countries that buys video games.

It's significantly bigger than it used to be, I believe. Video game revenue is increasing, not decreasing in Japan. Where did you hear otherwise?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
meanwhile at Level 5

giphy.gif

extralite

Well, sure, and Nintendo really could have used GTA on the Gamecube instead of the PS2 back in the day. There are some obvious upsides to relying on third party support, but one of the downsides is that you can't reliably predict which game is going to blow up and be the next huge hit. It's obvious in retrospect, but while it's happening, it's not. In its first week, Youkai Watch was just another game selling ~53k.

Why do we expect the next Mario, DQ or FF game to do well? Because the previous ones did well.

Why do we expect the next media mix franchise by L5 to do well? Because the last one did well.

It was perfectly clear even before it launched that YW would follow the I11 pattern. First week was actually in line with that. The anime was already known to hit later, it was perfectly expected to do well. YW just managed to further build on I11's success, suggesting that L5 brand strength has risen as well.

Another factor would be that it is on the same platform as Pokémon. YW launched before Pokemon released, the anime and the sequel after it.

Even if Sony had courted L5 for YW though, like they're doing with all the mid range hunting game franchises, it wouldn't change the fact that the Vita doesn't appeal to kids.

Opiate

Why do we expect the next Mario, DQ or FF game to do well? Because the previous ones did well.

Why do we expect the next media mix franchise by L5 to do well? Because the last one did well.

It was perfectly clear even before it launched that YW would follow the I11 pattern. First week was actually in line with that. The anime was already known to hit later, it was perfectly expected to do well. YW just managed to further build on I11's success, suggesting that L5 brand strength has risen as well.

Level 5 has had a good number of flops as well. I mean, in the general sense it's obviously good to have Level 5 on "your side", just as it's good to have EA on your side, or Take 2, or whomever. But expecting any specific game to go nuclear like this is a fool's errand.

With Inazuma 11 you 1) Have a sample size of 1, and 2) A franchise that is an order of magnitude smaller than Yokai Watch appears to be now.

It was not "perfectly clear" or else everyone here would have guessed it.

Mr. RPG

It's significantly bigger than it used to be, I believe. Video game revenue is increasing, not decreasing in Japan. Where did you hear otherwise?

From 99.9% of this forum who keep saying "games are dead in Japan" for the past decade.

sörine

Banned
Level 5 has had a good number of flops as well. I mean, in the general sense it's obviously good to have Level 5 on "your side", just as it's good to have EA on your side, or Take 2, or whomever. But expecting any specific game to go nuclear like this is a fool's errand.

With Inazuma 11 you 1) Have a sample size of 1, and 2) A franchise that is an order of magnitude smaller than Yokai Watch appears to be now.

I think the only real cross-media flop was Gundam Age. Professor Layton and Inazuma Eleven were huge hits and even LBX was a decent success initially.

extralite

If you followed the MC threads at the time, lots of people were comparing it to I11 to estimate how successful it might be. L5 less successful new IPs were considered but there were positive examples with FL as well and everyone was counting on the anime to have a similar effect as it had for I11.

YW just outdid the already cautiously high expectations.

This reminds me of when Monster Hunter blew up on the PSP. I was wondering if we were going to get a new IP that blows up this gen. Looks like Youkai Watch is it, at least for now. We'll see if it has staying power.

Unfortunately nothing like either has popped up on consoles for a very long time. I suppose GTA5 is the closest we've seen, but that doesn't really count.

Soph

Quite some pessimistic people are eating their fedora's right now, while good prospectors are tipping theirs with a smug smirk on their mugs.

Nonetheless, awesome display there Level 5, now don't trash your franchise!

This reminds me of when Monster Hunter blew up on the PSP. I was wondering if we were going to get a new IP that blows up this gen. Looks like Youkai Watch is it, at least for now. We'll see if it has staying power.

Unfortunately nothing like either has popped up on consoles for a very long time. I suppose GTA5 is the closest we've seen, but that doesn't really count.

It's interesting to me that it can go from relative obscurity to out-right phenomenon in a little less than a year - mostly thanks to the cartoon.

The amount of times I've seen 'Sold Out' signs around areas where Youkai Watch merchandise used to be in the last six months is crazy.

SQEX CEO: "This is absurd, how can you make money without Mobile!"

Let's not forget that just last year, Hino made a huge push for mobile with the announcement of Layton 7, Wonderflick, Majin Station, and that one flop they released last year. They were putting serious manpower into the mobile stuff, and downplaying everything else.

Hino managed a huge success with Youkai Watch, but let's not pretend that Level 5 isn't seriously eyeing the mobile space.

watershed

Banned
Let's not forget that just last year, Hino made a huge push for mobile with the announcement of Layton 7, Wonderflick, Majin Station, and that one flop they released last year. They were putting serious manpower into the mobile stuff, and downplaying everything else.

Hino managed a huge success with Youkai Watch, but let's not pretend that Level 5 isn't seriously eyeing the mobile space.
They announced Layton 7?! How did I completely overlook this?

Edit:nvrmnd, I looked it up. I remember now. it hardly looks like a Layton game at all.

Top Bottom