• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch 3 to release worldwide on 3DS after all

Just announced.
February 8, 2019 release date in US.

Hinted at previously years ago in an European tradeshow with a roadmap for the series (anime, merch, main games, side games) but finally confirmed.
Level-5 isn't used to making next gen ports specifically for localizations, so since this didn't have a Switch version in Japan already it was to be either released this way or not at all. Inazuma Eleven 3 was the outlier, as it skipped its original DS version and released exclusively on 3DS, but because a 3DS port (a compilation of all three games) already existed in Japan.
That also might mean that since Snack World (3DS) was also ported to the Switch, its localization (hinted at with an English-dubbed reveal trailer even before the original release) will be exclusive to Switch as well.

Last edited:

Michele

you.
Finally, about time! The very big gap between time for Japanese release and English release is so annoying!

Though for the Switch game (Yokai Watch 4), I've lately seen that games that release on Switch had same release date. Ultimate releases on 7 December in all languages (Italian, English, Japanese, Deustch, Russian, Chinese, Korean) so it's possible we could get the fourth game very sooner than we think (with the date being all the same)

Last edited:

kunonabi

Awesome news. So that puts us at Yo-Kai Watch 3, Etrian Odyssey Nexus, Mario & Luigi: BIS+, and probably Persona Q2, for 2019 so far. Not bad at all.

I wish they would port this to Switch - I have resolved that I am not buying any more 3DS games. I told myself that DQ8 was the last 3DS game I would buy.

Jubenhimer

So yeah. That's basically it for 3DS next year. Just two ports and one late localization. Anyone who ever thought it would have a healthy life after Switch was deluding themselves.

kunonabi

Were you that upset that the Project Rainfall games were localized, or that Mother 3 was made? You're always free not to play the 3DS, no one is forcing you to.
As of 2018, the 3DS makes 25% of Nintendo's total sales.

If it weren't for the 3DS I'd have spent 0$ on Nintendo software since BotW on the Wii U.

Jubenhimer

Nintendo should have killed the 3DS a long time ago.

Not quite. Unlike the Wii U, 3DS was never in a position where it needed to die immediately. For the time being, it serves its purpose of being a budget friendly Switch alternative for young kids. But as the Switch user-base grows, and more 3DS owners and potential 3DS buyers start moving to Switch, the 3DS has less and less of a purpose. It's better to let the 3DS die a slow, graceful death than come to a screeching, anti-climactic halt like the Wii U.

Not quite. Unlike the Wii U, 3DS was never in a position where it needed to die immediately. For the time being, it serves its purpose of being a budget friendly Switch alternative for young kids. But as the Switch user-base grows, and more 3DS owners and potential 3DS buyers start moving to Switch, the 3DS has less and less of a purpose. It's better to let the 3DS die a slow, graceful death than come to a screeching, anti-climactic halt like the Wii U.

The Wii U wasn't killed just because the Switch was around the corner (because if that was the case, neither the Virtual Console late-life support nor BOTW would happen at all), it has been dead for a while (since 2015) and projects published on it were sent to die and at some point they just gave up and started cancelling even the games that couldn't have happened but on it (like Project Giant, and Crashmo World... which, surprise surprise, didn't translate to Switch ports. The games just don't exist anymore). Third parties (and then even Nintendo) retooled Wii U projects for the 3DS instead.

The screeching halt would be the Wii instead. It received some respectable late life support in Japan (Earth Seeker, Zangeki no Regliev, Kiki Trick, Takt of Magic, Dragon Quest X, Bandai's anime games) and Europe (Fatal Frame 2, Pandora's Tower, Xenoblade, The Last Story) that even endured as late as 2014 (maybe 15 counting Rodea), but Nintendo of America was hell bent on making sure it was lights out for it as soon as 2011 (Zelda Skyward Sword and a Kirby Collection aside) because consoles are supposed to killed as soon as a successor is on the horizon. Mega Man 6 almost was never released in English because of this assumption.

The 3DS is a refreshing subversion of this awful trend in Western markets. And so are Atlus's on-point localization choices with the 3DS as of late... they're a regular "offender" when it comes to the opinion last-gen consoles must be killed, and indeed their best releases were precisely that kind of late localization: Radiant Historia, Persona 5, Polarium GBA, a lot of MegaTen games... those amazing classics happened and were brought in English because Atlus didn't listen to the ilk that says last gen hardware needs to be immediately killed.)
I hope it continues as much as profitably possible for them, and then for future consoles as well when those hit their twilight years.

theclaw135

Banned
Nintendo has no other handheld under 300 bucks. Killing the 3DS with no replacement will lose their lower budget audience.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I just wanted those rumored Links Awakening and Wario Land remakes...

Top Bottom