• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Album of the Year 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say that it was bad.

True, but there was certainly an implication that, at the very least, they weren't that original :)

::cringe::

The good taste in music thing is always like nails on a chalkboard to me. Must be a pet peeve.

I was tempted to agree with you, but then I realised that I actually firmly believe that, with pretty much all art forms, there are good and bad outputs, and thus good and bad tastes.

stuminus3

dtdecon.jpg

I'm not particularly big on aggressive music in my old age, but this one just blows me away. It's a cliche to say it, but every time I play it I hear things I didn't notice before. A genuine masterpiece.

Smithy C

los-campesinos-hello-sadness-300x300.jpg

Hello Sadness by Los Campesinos!
I've listened to this album so many times since it came out, and every time I do I'm always so impressed with how much they've changed from their first album. Fantastic album.

Sullichin

EDIT: How did I forget Siriusmo! Mosaik, DEFINITELY!
Radiohead King of Limbs
Bassnectar Divergent Spectrum
Modeselektor MonkeyTown

HiResDes

Gremlin has some good taste, but I have to say I disagree with this "new rule" and am wondering if there will be an official thread of sorts for this?

faridmon

2011 ended up being pretty solid for music to me, I'm sure I'll have a concrete list by the year's end. Delicious, delicous metal.

Aye. Insomnium and Omnium Gathreum with two amzing albums album this year. I could not be happier about Metal. Hopefully we will get a new Dark Tranquility album next year.

jorgeton

I've found a lot of great music this year that wasn't released in 2011 (Dirty Three's entire back catalogue, FTW)

But some faves released in 2011:

Gus Gus - Arabian Horse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgvlipp54RU

Vladislav Delay - Vantaa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umKh5aX7wBg

Boris - New Album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa2y0ms8GTY

Jesu - Ascension
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLASX8n1Hlw

Battles - Gloss Drop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CelC-JCcWQI

Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqZnui3hjz0

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I always come out of this thread with a couple of bands to check out based on recommendations. Looks like this year it will be The Weekend and SBTRKT

A lot of the ones I enjoyed this year have been mentioned several times. Here are a couple that haven't been mentioned.

220px-Tao_of_the_dead.jpg

Ok, first off, TOD is one of those "can't do wrong" bands for me, I even found stuff to like in Worlds Apart and So Divided, which are....not great to be honest. I really liked The Century of Self despite the tepid ending, so I was surprised I didn't like this one much at all in the first couple of listens. Then one day it clicked. I liked hearing how the songs all seagued into each other musically and thematically. its funny that an obvious "prog rock record" would be their most concise recording in almost 10 years. Its only 35 minutes long so it can still have that bombast they love, without the overbloatedness that have dragged down the last few records.

p82872k4se2.jpg

Do you miss bands like Jawbox and other 90's era Dischord bands? If so than this record is for you. I saw them open for Archers of Loaf this year and I really enjoyed them. They obviously borrow a bit from Jawbox and Faraquet, but I don't hear that much anymore so it works for me.

For me, it's a toss-up between

machinedrum-rooms.jpg

Machinedrum's Room(s)

tumblr_lhvme7an891qb9iivo1_500.png

Gil Scott-Heron/Jamie xx's We're New Here

siriusmo-mosaik.png

and Siriusmo's Mosaik

These three got the most play in my car/house, and were all amazing albums. Feels like I've had 'em for more than a year.

Great year for music, definitely. Radiohead's King of Limbs was pretty good, and Memory Tapes put out an okay album, but I was kinda disappointed in both. Of course there are others that I loved but none as much as the ones up there.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Album of the year:

Morbid Angel - Illud Divinum Insanus

morbid-angel-illud-divinum-insanus-gatefold-2-lp-dlp.jpg

My album of the year is probably the most controversial Metal album released in a long time. Eight years since their last album and double that time since returning vocalist David Vincent was last in the band, Morbid Angel return with an album that is as varied in its approach as it is shocking to many long time fans. The most notable change in Morbid Angel's musical approach is the heavy Industrial influences that permeate many of the songs on the album. Whilst it is at first jarring these elements are not thrown in haphazardly and serve to reinforce the album as a whole. Long time drummer Pete "Commando" Sandoval didn't play on this album due to back surgery and the session drummer Tim Yeung does an admirable job filling in Pete's shoes. Despite the 90 degree turn Illud is stil unabashedly a Morbid Angel album through and through. Trey's solos still sound like a star trying to escape a black hole and Dave Vincent still knows how to pin you to your seat with his powerful, sardonic vocals. More importantly, the band sounds like they're having fun again, something sorely missing on their last album, Heretic. Welcome back, guys.

Runner ups

Vallenfyre - A Fragile King

vallenfyre_a_fragile_king.jpg

Mastodon - The Hunter

mastodon_-_2011_the_hunter.jpg

The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicentre

TDB11.jpg

Anthrax - Worship Music

anthraxworship.jpg

Machine Head - Unto the Locust

MachineHead-UntoTheLocust_article_size_1.jpg

Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination

Skeletonwitch-Forever-Abomination.jpeg

Devin Townsend - Ghost

The-Devin-Townsend-Project-Ghost.jpg

Regurgitator - Superhappyfuntimesfriends

182c2612179e405023506be46f7.jpeg

Tombs - Path of Totality

Tombs-Path-Of-Totality.jpg

Absu - Abzu

ABSU-Abzu-CD-Color-Cover-copy-e1314327559181.jpg

Debut Album of the Year

Djerv - Djerv

1319670960.jpg

This female-fronted Norwegian three-piece play a style of Blackened Pop 'N' Roll. Think Die So Fluid but with a slight Black metal leaning. The riffs are chunky and infectious but it's the vocals of Agnete Kjølsrud that are star of the show. Amazingly powerful, Kjølsrud's vocals flitter between the crystal clean harmony of an angel and the dirty impishness of a demented jester. With songs that get lodged in your brain for weeks, Djerv are a band to watch out for.

Runner up

Vyrion - Vyrion

vyrion-300x300.jpg

Song of the Year

Djerv - Madman

l.jpg

Runner ups

Morbid Angel - I Am Morbid

Machine Head - Darkness Within

Anthrax - In the End

Devin Townsend - Blackberry

Regurgitator - All Fake Everything

i've decided:

1. This Will Destroy You - Tunnel Blanket

such a powerful fucking album, totally kicked my ass. and to think i had always dismissed these guys as just another generic post-rock/instrumental band trying too hard to be EITS/GYBE. but wow, this album is just incredible. i'll be listening to this 50 years from now. "Powdered Hand" is one of my favorite tracks ever. so simple yet so effective.

2. Pygmy Lush - Old Friends

dirty hardcore/punk dudes playing some sort of ethereal sounding indie rock. haunting and awesome. love these guys. they're getting better with every release which is rare.

3. Blue Sky Black Death - Noir

perfect music to chill out to. especially the first half of the album, so good. loved listening to this on the beach on my vacation in Crete.... ahh i wish i could go back.

4. Deftones - Diamond Eyes

i can't believe i still love Deftones. can't help it, just do. feel like 15 again listening to this. "Prince" is pure kickass. edit: LOL this is 2010 right? well fuck it, for me it was released this year.

5. Maritime - Human Hearts

album filled with catchy songs. what more can i ask for? if i want to listen to something poppy Maritime it is. total feel good music. listen to "Apple of My Irony" and tell me it doesn't cheer you up.

what else did i like.... Cave In's new album had some epic moments (mainly "Sing My Loves", jeeeeeesus what a track). ohh yeah and the new Roots album really is fantastic. new Mobb Deep ep and Prodigy (of Mobb Deep) solo ep were also great. completely ignored all other hiphop because Liquid Swords II still isn't out :(

p82872k4se2.jpg

Do you miss bands like Jawbox and other 90's era Dischord bands? If so than this record is for you. I saw them open for Archers of Loaf this year and I really enjoyed them. They obviously borrow a bit from Jawbox and Faraquet, but I don't hear that much anymore so it works for me.

umm.. HELL YES! i absolutely love Jawbox, even their underappreciated major label debut, which is IMO on par with their Dischord stuff. i almost get a bit too nostalgic listening to them so i haven't done it in a while heh.

but anyway what the hell is that band? Hammer No More The Fingers? hilarious name hahah. i guess i will have to check them out, thanks. i will also give that Trail of Dead album another chance because of you :)

burial-street-halo.jpg

I've got one, and one only (now two()). Not a full LP, but I'll be damned if it doesn't top my list and anything that may have been on it in the past few years.

Burial - Street Halo EP. The feeling I get when I play it all the way through is indescribable.

Best music, Four Walls by Burial.

N9X6M.jpg

This one as well. Dear god.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Massive Attack and Burial is such a beautiful combination for me. Did you ever hear the Burial / Four Tet 12" ? That's pretty awesome too. Wolf

Massive Attack + Burial was like a dream come true. We ultimately got a decent amount of Burial stuff in 2011 even without an LP, that was nice. And we've got a new EP to kick off 2012 too.

Bauer91

If I had to pick one:

btbam_cover.jpg

My favorite band and this year they had their first headlining tour in Europe so I finally got to see them live. They played two songs from this EP, awesome stuff.

Other albums from this year that I really, really enjoyed:

scurrilous1.jpg

Revocation-Chaos-of-Forms-e1304967284955.jpeg

heritage.jpg

mastodonhunter.jpg

Textures-Dualism.jpg

the-ghost-you-gave-to-me.jpg

Immolation_PROVIDENCE.jpg

Honorable mentions:

Leprous- Bilateral
Fair To Midland- Arrows & Anchors
Animals as Leaders- Weightless
Dream Theater- A Dramatic Turn Of Events
Megadeth- TH1RT3EN

Hatredcopter

Neo Member
dtdecon.jpg

I'm not particularly big on aggressive music in my old age, but this one just blows me away. It's a cliche to say it, but every time I play it I hear things I didn't notice before. A genuine masterpiece.

Favorite album of the year for me by a long shot. Listening with headphones is amazing.

Hatredcopter

Neo Member
Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction
Devin Townsend Project - Ghost
Revocation - Chaos Of Forms
Mastodon - The Hunter
Eddie Vedder - Ukulele Songs
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
Hooray For Earth - True Loves
Primus - Green Naugahyde
Red Fang - Murder The Mountains
Stephen Malkmus - Mirror Traffic

My Amazon list - http://www.amazon.com/lm/RIXMNAROO6TRG

Despera

Banned
I haven't been keeping up with new music as much as I have in previous years, but my AOTY is Snowman - Absence

Snowman-absence-300x300.jpg

I've never been really eloquent when it comes to discussing my favorite music, so I'll try and keep it brief. This album is dark, unsettling, but also quite pretty at times; similar to the Liars' Drums Not Dead, except more ethereal and less revolved around percussion specifically.

Tracks:
Hyena
White Wall
Absence
Full Album Stream (Soundcloud)

Reviews:
Pitchfork
130 BPM
White Wall and Absence are really good. Sad to hear they disbanded upon releasing this album.

FiendAngel

Neo Member
pj7e47bk.jpg

Destroyer - Kaputt

It's perfect. It's mesmerizing and captivating at every listen. Such a great voice and good use of variety of instruments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom