• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your choice: new Final Fantasy titles or complete remakes of VII, VIII, IX(assuming they're remakes done right)

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I was thinking about this with how highly regarded the Resident Evil 2 remake has been and how popular remakes can be if done right.

With how unpopular(or at least not as popular as FF entries used to be) the FFXIII trilogy is and FFXV, if you had your choice would you rather have the next few Final Fantasy entries all be brand new titles(XVI, XVII, etc) or would you rather them totally remake VII(already in the works obviously) and then remake VIII and IX? Assuming hypothetically they do these remakes right, like Capcom did with RE2 just for the sake of this question, because I know that is not a given with how shaky FFVII's remake looks lol.

This is a tough call for me. I always usually prefer something new so I can experience a new world with a new story, new characters, new battle system and gameplay and all that, but with how much faith I've lost in SquareEnix these days, I may just prefer a remake of games I know I love. Playing VIII and IX with current graphics would just be amazing IMO and with modified gameplay and seeing what they could do with these worlds with the development power of new consoles would be a treat.

So if you had your choice would you rather have new FF entries or the remakes done right?

Last edited:

Ka-Kui

Remakes done right? Hell yeah I'd like an FFIX remake with turn based combat... and then I'm reminded of the FFVII remake.

Ar¢tos

Remakes. Square wasted the past 10 years showing they lost their skill to make decent Final Fantasies. At least with remakes there is less chance for them to screw up.

I loved FF15 and I want more of it so Im all in for brand new titles. We havent yet seen almost anything regarding FF7 remake so I dont know if they will do a proper job like RE2 remake or will they butcher it. Either way Im always up for new story instead of revisiting old ones.

kunonabi

A proper ff7 remake with turn based combat, harder battles, and rebalanced materia/limit breaks would improve that game greatly. An FF9 remake with faster combat and a better skill development system would be a godsend too.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
FF V and FF VI needed remakes for the 3DS. Talk about wasted opportunities.

klosos

I will take the remakes of 7,8 and 9 over anything new, imo the moment they put voice acting in final fantasy is the moment it started going down hill.

Hudo

If we assume that Square does right by remakes, I'd love a remake of the best Final Fantasy and one of the best RPGs ever made: Final Fantasy VI.

FF9 was alright, though.

Lucumo

Remakes? No, thanks. I already played the game or would rather play the original game instead. Focus on something new instead.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
New titles. I don't want to play games that I've already played before. Even if they do have a fresh coat of paint.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If they going to turn their turn based FF titles in to action RPG like FFVII Remake then no thanks. For once I want to see they make modern FF (Remake or new) with turn based combat. Thats all!!!

Last edited:

Closer

Can I order a full serving of Final Fantasy VIII with updated script, please? With extra graphics, please. Yes. Yes. No, I want the classic, with turn based combat, but can add the flashiness. Yes. OH, no DLC please, I'm allergic. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Neither, because I don't believe square enix has a capacity to deliver a good remake. They would get rid of turn based combat and change it into some hybrid-like shit. No thanks.

Teslerum

A proper ff7 remake with turn based combat, harder battles, and rebalanced materia/limit breaks would improve that game greatly. An FF9 remake with faster combat and a better skill development system would be a godsend too.

Would probably have also taken less time than what they are doing now.

Btw imo they shouldn't do an entire overhaul of their psx era games. I'm playing Chrono Crosss right now on hd display and still think it looks very good and charmful. If they ever would do a remake of it (I don't want it) they should just res up background art, make better fight arena/character models and new vfx for elements. That's basically it. Playing these old-school rpgs in full 3d would lose charm to me.

Virex

Banned
A remake of VIII and IX would be god-tier to me. Always like 8 and 9 more than 7. While 7 was still a fantastic game I still find it over rated.

God Enel

I’d love to have a new proper FF title with turn based combat. With a cohesive story from start to finish. Like 1-9. This new shit is too convoluted. And I don’t want any add ons. Just a good game.

Fuz

Banned
VII remake will be a disaster.

I would love a "remake done well" of VI VII IX.

New FFs? They're not able to do them properly anymore. The last (barely) decent FF was X.
They should get back to its roots. Back to the "fantasy" theme and get more medieval vibes, less technology: the airship must be a wonder (not something a dime a dozen), coherent stories, good character development, less emo/boyband characters, turn base combat. And they have to get rid of Nomura.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
They also need 3D/HD remakes for modern consoles. Fuck VII, VIII and IX.
Of course they do but the 3DS was the last chance for them to become 3D in a cheap inexpensive way. Because the 3DS is on it's way out they would need much bigger budgets now to make it presentable on current hardware.

kyubajin

FF IX remake with turn-based combat and modern graphics, my absolute dream come true. It was definitely their love letter to all the previous classic FF games of yonder.

Vawn

Banned
Well, depends on what "done right" and "new game" actually mean.

Right now, I'm having a difficult time having faith either will be done. FFVII is not what I wanted from a remake. I never thought, "FFVII is good, but I wish it was a button masher with characters that can inexplicably float in the sky as long as they're sword fighting. Also, spread it across three full games".

And as long as it's taking for FF7, I might not be around long enough to see further remakes.

I use to count the days to hear about new mainline Final Fantasy games. But, that was when Final Fantasy was Final Fantasy. FFXV happened and it does not resemble the games I loved in the SNES days at all.

So give me either a remake along the lines of the new Crash or Spyro with perhaps voice acting or a new Final Fantasy closer to Octopath Traveler than FFXV.

Last edited:
Remakes, I guess. I'm not a fan of VIII or IX, but I'll take remakes of them over anything they did in the PS3/PS4 eras. Well, I shouldn't say that. XIV is supposed to be good.

mortal

Gold Member
Can we please fucking stop with the remakes?

It's been 10 years since we've seen a completely new and original Final Fantasy world and cast of characters.

Petrae

As much as I think FFVIII is goatshit, it’s still better than any Final Fantasy game over the last two console generations.

That said, Square-Enix is defiling FFVII in a remake, so maybe the older/better games should just be left alone.

db1416

I’ll take some remakes done right. I hate that they turned away from the turn based format and would love to experience those older games in a remake, especially IX.

Fuz

Banned
Right now, I'm having a difficult time having faith either will be done. FFVII is not what I wanted from a remake. I never thought, "FFVII is good, but I wish it was a button masher with characters that can inexplicably float in the sky as long as they're sword fighting. Also, spread it across three full games".
Goddammit.
Nobody fucking asked for that. We just wanted the same game with modern graphics.

NahaNago

If they're done right then I would love a remake of ix, but I think it was the limitation of the hardware that forced square to make those games that ended up being classics. I think right now I would prefer just an anime series or movie and just make the games from 16 onward.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
FFVI deserves a remake but I prefer a new FF doing right not the abomination of XIII and XV.

BTW give Nomura to make FF again... KH3 showed it is absolutely better than anything from Tabata.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

VII remake will be a disaster.

I would love a "remake done well" of VI VII IX.

New FFs? They're not able to do them properly anymore. The last (barely) decent FF was X.
They should get back to its roots. Back to the "fantasy" theme and get more medieval vibes, less technology: the airship must be a wonder (not something a dime a dozen), coherent stories, good character development, less emo/boyband characters, turn base combat.
I totally agree, X was a bit messy already. XII was a star wars clone, XIII made me want to punch Lightning every single second of the game and XV was an elaborated J-pop video with the expected nonsense story. IX was the best and how fan service should be done, it had many flaws, but it was the most recent one to have the real spirit of a Final Fantasy game.
I would love to see another FF with proper classes like FFIX had.

Ivellios

New games for sure.

The older games have aged well enough and the remakes would make every game in the series an action RPG anyway

sublimit

Banned
New.
I'm totally fine with the old ones as they are.

However that doesn't mean i will not try the remakes if they are being made respectfully to the source material.I'm also open to changes since if i wanted exact copies of the old games i would play those instead.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
VII remake is happening regardless of what we choose. We can only hope for the best.

VIII doesn't need a remake, just needs a rerelease to clean up the backgrounds and at least ATTEMPT to fix the broken game balance.

IX is perfectly fine.

Top Bottom