• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your choice: new Final Fantasy titles or complete remakes of VII, VIII, IX(assuming they're remakes done right)

Lilseb93

I would love a remake of VI and IX. I would love if they were turn based. I never had an issue with that kind of gameplay. It can still be done very well in today's age. i.e. Persona 5.

Last edited:

Joe T.

If I was living in a parallel universe where I trusted SE to develop both "remakes done right" and new, interesting titles in the Final Fantasy franchise I'd definitely favor new games.

Tygeezy

Why is final fantasy vi never brought into the discussion for a 3d remake? The only remade that game had was a mobile version and many people consider it the very best in the series.

Shy Fingers

Banned
Why is final fantasy vi never brought into the discussion for a 3d remake? The only remade that game had was a mobile version and many people consider it the very best in the series.
FFVI and FF Tactics have gotten a lot of love over the last year and a half in FFXIV. Leads me to believe they're not thinking about that one at SE for anything else.

I'd rather not have perfection ruined. It's such a brilliant game, and multiple ways to play it in this day and age.

Fbh

After a whole gen of FFXIII and now a gen with only XV (as far as offline FF goes) I'm not sure if Square even has it in them to make a good FF anymore.

So I guess remake. Though looking at how they have been handling VII I'm not sure that would turn out better anyway.

Just cancel FF. Give all the money to the XIV team, the dragon quest team and Yoko Taro. At least they still make good games

Last edited:
Something new every single time.

The only series that seems to understand making remakes that are just as good as a new entry is Resident Evil. Both REmake on Gamecube, and now RE2 on PS4 are shockingly high quality, and on par with new entries. But also, both of these games are not really known for story at all, and the fun is just in exploring scary environments and seeing how amazing everything looks.

Final Fantasy is heavily focused on story, and playing a story, and characters I've already seen before is just not nearly as fun for me with that series. I'll play anything they remake, but man, why would anyone take that over the chance to see an entirely new world and new characters, new music, and new art.

Closer

VI is never brough up because they just need to remake the others, because they are not good.

/s

Last edited:

Garnox

Whynotboth.gif

For real though, I’d like new experiences. As much as I loved the PS1 era games, I feel like if S-E could bring their A-game with a modern day experience and create a game that comes close to those overall experiences, I’d welcome that.

Montblanc

Eh, VII: R is the thing and I'm not interested in that one at all... I'm afraid VIII and IX would follow in its footsteps.

Remakes done in the Octopath engine would be great. Squeenix recently submitted some copyrights for 2D-HD or something similar, referring to the artstyle of Octopath Traveller. I wouldn't be surprised if they did at least one Final Fantasy game in that engine. Whether it's a spinoff or remake of an older title remains to be seen, but I'm betting on at least one 2D-HD FF title in the next 5 years. A remake or sequel to FF: Tactics would fit that engine nicely.

Otherwise, I'd like new Final Fantasy titles instead of remakes at the scale of FF7R. At this pace, it'll take 10 years for all the FF7R episodes to come out.

120v

i'd rather they move forward, though i wouldn't mind an upres of the ps1 games for modern displays or something

they sort of had to do FF7R because it was always an 800 lb guerrilla in the room but i feel like it really hasn't moved forward since FFXIII and that was dud. i don't really count FFXV because it obvs had baggage from SE's problems adapting to the HD era

Last edited:

Dunki

I would love a FFVIII Remae but I rather want new games. I is always great to see how this Series is changing with each entry. And they have a great foundation with the FFXV engine and mechanics IMO.

Mihos

Gold Member
I am on the side of wanting new games but with older battle systems. 13-2 or X-2 dress-sphere stuff is my sweet spot. 15 was too real time action for me, although I still liked it. Dragon Quest 11 is more my speed.

remakes.

i havent bought a FF since X. 12 has interested me a bit lately, so ive been wanting to grab that. but yeah. gimme those early turnbased games.

i do feel though if they got remade SE would make them arpgs / real time oriented

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
If the choice was between remakes made right and new games made right I’ll choose a new game. If the choice is between remakes made right and unspecified new games that could be good or bad then that’s not really fair

The classic games have already been made. Yeah if I could flip a button and have full remakes of three games I would hit it. But if such a magical button existed and was capable of producing flawless games then may as well use it to make new ones

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Well, I haven't played XV yet but I had never heard of the characters or anything before. How is it not new and original?
Before it's 2013 announcement, FFXV was originally FF Versus XIII. FF XIV was originally announced in 2009, which was the last original mainline Final Fantasy that wasn't a reboot or relaunch.

PSFan

Before it's 2013 announcement, FFXV was originally FF Versus XIII. FF XIV was originally announced in 2009, which was the last original mainline Final Fantasy that wasn't a reboot or relaunch.

Yes, I knew that. But since Versus XIII never materialized, how are the characters and setting in FF XV not new?

mortal

Gold Member
Yes, I knew that. But since Versus XIII never materialized, how are the characters and setting in FF XV not new?
Because the creative direction, characters and world were initially conceived in Versus XIII. Much like many other fans, I was already familiar by the time it reemerged as FFXV, despite some of the changes that would come after.

In case you're misunderstanding, I would rather a new game instead of a remake just to have a completely unfamiliar experience.

Graciaus

The last few games don't inspire much confidence for the future of the series. Might as well try remakes. But if they can't release the whole game at once don't bother.

StormCell

I'm not really all that interested in remakes of VIII or IX.

What I would opt to do is take the engine from Octopath Traveler and, instead, do remakes of IV, V, and VI for Switch.

I'm not at all confident in the current remake of VII, but that's also a project I would do for Switch.

PSFan

Because the creative direction, characters and world were initially conceived in Versus XIII. Much like many other fans, I was already familiar by the time it reemerged as FFXV, despite some of the changes that would come after.

In case you're misunderstanding, I would rather a new game instead of a remake just to have a completely unfamiliar experience.

I wouldn't really call it a remake, though, since Versus XII never released to begin with.

Can I ask for a style remake of Final Fantasy IV and IV instead, where we have FFXV-quality models but in the stories that IV and VI gave us?

Sorry, but VII, VIII, and X never captured me, story-wise. I still haven't played through IX, though I'm told I should.

I'm not really all that interested in remakes of VIII or IX.

What I would opt to do is take the engine from Octopath Traveler and, instead, do remakes of IV, V, and VI for Switch.

I'm not at all confident in the current remake of VII, but that's also a project I would do for Switch.

I'd be okay with this as well, I suppose. Would rather have a full 4K remodel with Cheevos and the like for PS?/XBox? , but I'd settle for this on the Switch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom