• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your collections of physical PC games

Bl@de

Hi folks,

In the days of Steam I often wonder if anyone still has a collection of physical PC games. I've been cleaning the flat today and made a quick photo of my collection. As you can see it is small and mostly older titles (with the exception of Divinity: Original Sin). Those games are of no real use anymore because I don't have an DVD drive connected to my PC, but I can't just throw them away. I'm still mad that I threw away all the big boxes of Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Resident Evil, etc. :(

Share your collections fellow PC gaffers.

PS. Yep. To the left you can see REmake and RE4 for the Gamecube^^ I don't even have the console but I won't sell those.

PPS. The Battlefield 1942 version is from Asia. It was a lot cheaper and has all languages :p

img_20170630_11395521hrxip.jpg

selo

I still have my unreal tournament and max payne boxes (and mousepad!)

I'll take a picture tomorrow, heh.

TheMoon

PS. Yep. To the left you can see REmake and RE4 for the Gamecube^^ I don't even have the console but I won't sell those.
img_20170630_11395521hrxip.jpg

That way you at least won't care that your German copy of RE4 there is missing modes because Capcpom. :p

I got rid of a lot of mine, as they either just wouldn't work on Windows 10, or I have them on GOG or Steam now.

I do have a physical copy of everyone's favourite Jack Keane though. I've never played it, but I have it.

TheMoon

I kinda want people to also say where they're from. Because I suspect most of the people still buying physical PC games NOW are based in Germany. :D

GamerJM

Banned
The only physical PC game I have is Overwatch, though my sister has an asston of physical Sims 3/4 expansions that she stores in my game collection because we have nowhere else to put it.

Bl@de

I kinda want people to also say where they're from. Because I suspect most of the people still buying physical PC games NOW are based in Germany. :D

Yep. Germany. You can still find a lot of physical PC games around (well not at Gamestop but nobody cares about that store). Most of them are usless though because it's mostly a key and a part of the game on disc. Still had to download 60% of Divinity: Original Sin from Steam.

I also have some games in jewel cases: Diablo 2 and GTA 3 for example.

Alastor

I really miss buying physical PC games. Loved the artwork, manuals, and little extras they included.

Awesome collection of great games. Portal PC standalone box! Didn't even know it had one.

Will post some pictures of my infinitely inferior collection later.

I have a few. I have a big box copy of the first Elite Force. I *love* that game so it's like a cool collector thing. I also have the physical release of Gone Home. It's one of my all-time favourite games and the Super Nintendo-esque box art is so cool. I also have a physical version of State of Decay but that's only because it ended up being way cheaper to get than the digital version. I've already redeemed the code so idk that I will even hang on to it.

I used to get all physical Blizzard games but I think Diablo III was the last time I did

I want to get the big box version of a lot of 90's PC games that I love. The first Diablo and Fallout specifically. I'm sure they're both a fortune, though

I really miss buying physical PC games. Loved the artwork, manuals, and little extras they included.

Man these are like........... all the games I would want to collect

Kareha

Probably what most people won't have done, but once I'd re-bought all my boxed games on Steam and other places, I just threw them all out as they were just cluttering up my room.

Apathy

Doom 3
The orange box (feel like everyone has these two)
WoW -> wotlk collectors editions
Warcraft 2 and 3
Roller coaster tycoon
Hitman
Guild wars 2
BioShock
BioShock infinite
Something else I can't remember

I hope you didn't spend as much time as me in Ago of Conan, OP.

I've got my fair share of physical games, but I've rebought games digitally instead of digging them out from my old stuff several times. To be honest I don't think my DVD-rom has worked for years.

Baleoce

No idea what happened to the quality of this screenshot, but yeah. Some have a bit of glare so I'll just list them off:

Diablo 3 Collectors
FFVII
FFVIII
FFXI
StarCraft 2 (first two expansions)
Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls
Call of Duty Black Ops
Half Life Generation
Quake 4
FFXI: Treasures of Aht Urghan
FFXI: Wings of the Goddess
FFXIV 1.0
C&C Red Alert 3
C&C Generals + Zero Hour
C&C 3
C&C 3: Kane's Wrath
StarCraft + BroodWar
Titanfall 2 (I mean, it's just a key inside, but it totally counts)
GTA2
Alien vs Predator
Dawn of War
CAll of Duty Black Ops 2
Dirt Showdown
FFXIV Stormblood and Heavensward are hiding there somewhere too.

Blizzard as far as the eye can see. I buy WoW expansions physically because I bought vanilla physically. Since I already own a bunch of Blizzard boxes, I buy new Blizzard games physically as well.

Other than that, I typically buy my MMOs physically, which makes no sense. I have physical copies of GW2 and FFXIV with expansions nearby.

Raptomex

I'm not home but my PC collection of physical games is nowhere near as large as console games. Way too easy to acquire digital games nowadays. Although, I still buy the physical copies of GTA games for PC so those are my newest.

fester

Banned
What a beautiful collection! I wish I had the entire Ultima series big boxes.

Thanks! I'm missing the boxes for Ultima 1-3 mostly because I was too young to be buying them at the time and haven't circled back to find on eBay. For Ultima IX I was so pissed off by the game at the time it came out that I likely tossed the box in the trash. (Game still sucks, but I miss the box.)

No pictures yet but I lost most of the boxes for games I bought in the pre-Steam era (notable exception: GTA San Andreas, which came in hardcover book form!). I think I also still have the Civ IV special edition box somewhere. I do still have a few manuals, at least: Aces of the Pacific/Aces Over Europe, Interstate '76, Homeworld 1 and Homeworld Cataclysm. And then there are all the discs I still have, which for the most part still have jewel cases but not the outer boxes.

Most of those older boxes were ginormous, so I'm not that sad about losing them. I do have one regret, though: when I was visiting Japan last year, I found a store selling an original pristine Japanese copy of HOMEWORLD 2 of all things. I knew there was no way I could get it into my suitcase without squishing it, but all the same I kind of wish I bought it just as a curio.

Mohasus

I still have Roller Coaster Tycoon, UT99, UT2k4, Warcraft III + TFT, Diablo, Diablo 2 + LoD and Need for Speed Underground.

Pretty good games if you ask me.

Alastor

The bulk of my collection. Apart form this, I have small steelbook collection in another room and a couple of big cardboard boxes waiting for a better times to put them out again (but most of them are, sadly, gone. I've moved too many times when I was younger).

And a collection of self-made PC cases I wrote about here.

Also, Wiedźmin = The Witcher in Polish.

Sini

I got Orange Box, and fat box for Command & Conquer Generals Deluxe edition (With Zero Hour expansion), and another fat box for Act of War.
Used to have few more physical copies but gave them away since they took too much space.

Justinh

I don't have much anymore. I think I have a copy of Crysis somewhere, Call of Duty and United Offensive discs which will not work anymore, and the Orange Box.

I also have Wing Commander 2-4, and Privateer 1 and 2 on disc. The Kotor collection on disc (I got it just before I bought them on steam, my Dad didn't want it anymore), Broken Age and the new Leisure Suit Larry game from kickstarters, Shadow Warrior 2 the Special Reserve Edition, and the special editions for the Starcraft 2 releases and Diablo 3 and its expansion (I bought D3 vanilla used though, so it's just the physical goodies).

After looking: I still have Doom 3, Quake 4, and the Diablo 2 Battle Chest box too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
- Crashed (imported from France for the Steam key)
- Gears of War (a mate and I bought it at launch for co-op)
- A bunch of Blizzard games (Battle.net has RRP-equivalent pricing)

I've no need for them, so they'll be binned eventually. They hold no nostalgic value, the keys have been registered, Gears in particular hasn't been touched in almost a decade (I was keeping it around in case Microsoft replaced GFWL with Steamworks), and I couldn't tell you where my BD drive is.

120v

the only physical copies of note i have are FFXI, Lineage II and Morrowind

before i bought it on steam to pave out mod issues my morrowind disc was very useful... installed on every pc i've ever bought without fuss

i have a handful of physical copies i bought strictly for sales, like DOOM, Dishonored 2, ect. useless but neat to have i guess

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I still hate myself for destroying a bunch of old boxes I had years ago when I lived in a smaller house. I still have jewel cases, but I cut up boxes of Gabriel Knight: SotF, Sam and Max, Monkey Island, Willy Beamish, etc. Wish I still had those boxes.

I have Ultima 1, the Dungeons and Dragons Gold box collection and a handful of small sized boxes, but the really good ones are gone. :(

pastrami

I've gotten rid of most of my physical collection over the years, so I only have a handful left. Master of Orion 2, Homeworld: Cataclysm, Rainbow Six: Raven Shield, Starcraft 2, Serious Sam, and Operation Flashpoint.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ah yea, forgot the jewel cases. Including random graphics card pack-ins like NOLF and Clive Barker's Undying. :D

pcnu8tq4l.jpg

pcbibovro5o.jpg

I wish Valve would put Gunman Chronicles up on Steam. Stephen Kick has tried to twist its arm on the odd occasion but it's just not interested.

Just a few old jewel cases from the good ole days.

izOmp76.jpg

Hurry up and face bankruptcy again, Atari, so you're compelled to sell Blood to Devolver for a reasonable price.

Freddo

I barely gotten any physical PC games in the past decade, but I still got a lot from early 90s to late 00s on shelves close to the computer. Been thinking about putting them away though, and only keep the ones I don't have on Steam or GOG. Games like the Dune games, No On Lives Forever 1&2, Oni, Freedom Fighters and so on.

TheMoon

I wish Valve would put Gunman Chronicles up on Steam. Stephen Kick has tried to twist its arm on the odd occasion but it's just not interested.

wait it's not on steam? I really need to replay this someday. I never finished it back then because I realized after a bit that this wasn't really Half Life with Dinosaurs as I imagined. :D

I still have some physical PC games. Several Lucasarts games, SSI's Gold Box Dragonlance games, Half-Life 1 & 2, System Shock 2, Baldur's Gate series, Duke Nukem 3D, etc. I used to have a lot more but sadly I got rid of a bunch of them 15 years ago when I got married. They just took up way too much space for our tiny apartment and at the time, big-box PC collecting wasn't nearly as popular as it is now. Most I sold at yard sales, and with a few I threw out the boxes and just kept the discs and manuals. I have far more of my original console games that I've kept for my collection but that's because there was a lot more money in that even back then. With most of the PC games I would look them up on eBay and think "Apparently nobody wants these" and if I didn't want them because they were special to me then they were gone.

neilyadig

I have Starcraft: Brood War, WC3, WC3: Frozen Throne, and Battlefront II on disc.

I recently entered my original SC and and WC3 CD keys (printed on a sticker on the jewel case) into Blizzard's site and was able to download the installers from their site. That was a trip.

Top Bottom