• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite 16 bits platform game?

Sakura

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 for me. Game is just so good. Must have easily put over 100 hours into it lol.
If I had to choose a second, then probably SMW.

Yoshi's Island, closely followed by S3&K, DKC2, Kirby Super Star and Super Mario All-Stars (fuck you that's not cheating).

not even one Super Metroid mention yet smh
I love Super Metroid but I don't really consider it a platformer the same way I do other series.

My favourites are all Sonic games, Sonic 1 and 2 for Mega Drive and Sonic 2 for Master System.

My best childhood gaming memories are all from these games, I used to play it with my mum and sister, good times.

snes-dc.jpg

Jontron sums up everything I would want to say about the game.
http://youtu.be/NwNsrmcsBCM

Ah, the old days were too good to us.

Freddo

As expected there's a Sega and Nintendo hegemony.
I'll remedy with my favorite Amiga games:
Another Amiga game I like a lot is Marvin's Marvelous Adventure. Cute, fun, sometimes completely wild and excellent soundtrack. I think it's the Amiga game I've played thru the most times and sure would love to see the game re-released on PSN or whatever.
2415_screen14.png

Although my favorite platformer of all time is probably the PS1 game Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, such a shame they messed up the EU PSN release.

MrBadger

SonyToo!™;123392120 said:
The_New_Zealand_Story_cover.jpg

Everybody needs to play this game, preferably the arcade version.

I got the DS version for really cheap and had a fairly good time with it after getting used to how stiff the controls could be. How different is the arcade version?

Olly88

Yoshi's Island is my favourite game of all time, so... I guess that would make it my favourite 16-bit platformer too :)

All my other favourites have probably been mentioned, Mario World, Castlevania, Sonic, Kirby etc.

My absolute favorite is Sonic 3 and Knuckles, probably the best platformer ever made to me. So many fun levels, so much great music...after that, I would probably go with Sonic 2 and Super Mario World. Yoshi's Island and Sonic 1 would probably round out my top 5. Genesis and SNES were the absolute best when it came to platformers. No generation came close.

NathanS

As expected there's a Sega and Nintendo hegemony.

I really miss platformers with big non-liner maps. :(

Id's love to be right there with having grown up with computer platformers, but man going back the share lack of solid level design in even the best of them hurts. I should have just left them in the haze of nostalgia where they where still perfect gems.

Also they're are still plenty of metroidvanias with with big non-liner maps.

andymcc

Banned
Id's love to be right there with having grown up with computer platformers, but man going back the share lack of solid level design in even the best of them hurts. I should have just left them in the haze of nostalgia where they where still perfect gems.

Also they're are still plenty of metroidvanias with with big non-liner maps.

Arcade, SNES, Genesis and PC-Engine platformers from that generation slaughter PC platformers from that generation, I don't know why he is so surprised.

flak57

DKC2 assuming no Super Metroid. After that there's like 100 games that could come next, couldn't choose. Been replaying Rocket Knight Adventures recently and having a blast.

Top Bottom