• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite 16 bits platform game?

I'll take Sonic 2 over any 16-bit Mario anyway. If you wanted to lump Super Mario All-Stars which included the best one in Mario 3, then yeah it would be Mario 3, but that was really an NES game remastered ( see what you started Nintendo! ) for SNES.

Sonic 2 baby. Glorious platforming. I just loved me some DKC back in the day.

Not that I'm calling your opinion out or anything, but are you sure that's not just rose-colored glasses speaking? The platforming in the Sonic games was pretty horrendous, IMO.

I actually found this video the other day that doesn't pretty good job of explaining why.

http://redlettermedia.com/pre-rec-sonic-the-most-overrated-game-ever/

andymcc

Banned
Not that I'm calling your opinion out or anything, but are you sure that's not just rose-colored glasses speaking? The platforming in the Sonic games was pretty horrendous, IMO.

I actually found this video the other day that doesn't pretty good job of explaining why.

This video has already been taken to task in another thread.

Really terrible imho.

You could easily apply that faulty "rose-colored glasses" point to Super Mario World btw

dcx4610

Donkey Kong Country over Super Mario World easily.

The graphics, the music, the perfect gameplay. A complete masterpiece.

Felspawn

There can only be one

DfA0iQk.png

Super Mario World

^

That is the only acceptable answer

CLaddyOnFire

Neo Member
Vectorman and Vectorman 2 if you can consider them platformers. I remember being a kid and thinking the way you would transform into a rocket or something to progress to the next part of the stage being really cool. Plus if I recall correctly, the music was pretty cool and techno-ish, and there were some neat weapon powerups. The games were hard as hell though

andymcc

Banned
Yeah but how many people actually got to play it back in the 16bit days? and the SNES "port" was horrible

This is about "your favorite 16 bits platform game" and there are way more obscure titles being listed than it.

Rondo of Blood is better than Super Mario World for the record.

Super Mario World is the best 16-bit platformer, probably of all time

controls were spot-on, the graphics the right kind of bright, there were tons of secrets, a lot of variety in the levels, it had cool scaling effects for the time (SMW2 is much more advanced in this)

i don't consider Mega Man, Metroid, Cybernator, Castlevania,... as platform games (more run 'n gun / action adventures) since a platform game defines as being able to jump on an enemy :p

heyf00L

Pretty stupid video. The first 5 minutes is complaining about the backstory being nonsense. Robotnik put animals in machines, which makes no sense. Like how the first SMB said Bowser turned the citizens into blocks. So that makes Mario no fun too, right? What a waste of time.

Then they complain that you can't go fast. But you can, if you do it right, just like Mario. Their point is that it was a selling point. Sure, and you have more open space than Mario games. The point stands. If all you did was run easily with no obstacles, we'd complain that it's too easy. Difficult can be fun. Easy can't. Easy decision here.

Mario certainly has better level design. But Sonic games are still really good and fun.

rgxuy9C.jpg

GOAT for me when I was younger. Really easy nowadays, but the charming graphics, solid platforming, and costume-changing mechanic made this game amazing. The mountain climbing outfit was RAD.

These were the glory days of Capcom! Even The Little Mermaid licensed game for the NES was good.

Also, while trying to find a decent box art pic (which I didn't really succeed in doing) I found this--hehehehehe

3BSKArl.png

Felspawn

This is about "your favorite 16 bits platform game" and there are way more obscure titles being listed than it.

Rondo of Blood is better than Super Mario World for the record.

I guess i need to realize that lots of today's Gamers were too young to experience the 16bit generation first hand. that said as awesome as Rondo was, SMW still has it beat.

MrBadger

We already had a thread about that video, where several people went in-depth to talk about why they liked Sonic and why the points in the video are highly debatable.

Anyway, I believe that the first Sonic was solid enough, but had several levels that felt like a drag and some tedious level design, but by 3&K, they'd sorted their formula and created a game that could easily rival Nintendo's platformers.

Thanati

Amiga games from me (obviously) :)

Speedball 2
Future wars time travelers
Another world
Xenon 2
Carrier Command
Mega Lo Mania
Settlers
Sensible world of Soccer
Dune 2

andymcc

Banned
I guess i need to realize that lots of today's Gamers were too young to experience the 16bit generation first hand.

I don't know what you're implying here.

I bought Super Mario World with the Super Nintendo on release date.

I had already owned Sonic the Hedgehog and Bonk's Adventure on their respective consoles. I would say, even then, I enjoyed both of those games more than Super Mario World and the revised history of Super Mario World being the end-all-be-all of platformers wasn't really that common of a sentiment upon release.

Vorg

Banned
Amiga games from me (obviously) :)

Speedball 2
Future wars time travelers
Another world
Xenon 2
Carrier Command
Mega Lo Mania
Settlers
Sensible world of Soccer
Dune 2

Love all these platformers. Anyway, probably a tie between yoshi's island and sonic 3 and knuckles for me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'll echo the Yoshi's Island sentiments. I'd definitely say that's one of my top, if not my top 16-bit platformer.

I mean look at this!
ibs8BR1K37dGwZ.gif
ibpH1mr76JRCJO.gif

That 16-bit 3D sprite aesthetic is so inviting. Plus all the effects the SFX2 chip did for the game made it my favorite game to play back then.

Also on my list:
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars if you want to cheat

There was no shortage of amazing platformers during the era:

Yoshi's Island
Super Mario World
Sonic 1 - K
Castlevania IV
Megaman X & X2

DKC series isn't quite in that tier but it's pretty good too.

Felspawn

I don't know what you're implying here.

I bought Super Mario World with the Super Nintendo on release date.

I had already owned Sonic the Hedgehog and Bonk's Adventure on their respective consoles. I would say, even then, I enjoyed both of those games more than Super Mario World and the revised history of Super Mario World being the end-all-be-all of platformers wasn't really that common of a sentiment upon release.

None of my reply was directly specifically at you or anyone else in particular. thx

Felspawn

I mean look at this!
ibs8BR1K37dGwZ.gif
ibpH1mr76JRCJO.gif

That 16-bit 3D sprite aesthetic is so inviting. Plus all the effects the SFX2 chip did for the game made it my favorite game to play back then.

t

Yoshi's island wasnt my favorite, that said your absolutely right, its one of those games where the aesthetic is so timeless that it never looks old.

MrTapion

Neo Member
Donkey Kong Country series, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island. Castlevania IV was so damn good. Gonna have to go back and play it again.

How about Super Star Wars games and Indiana Jones Trilogy? Not pure platformers maybe, but lots of jumping action.

Demon's Crest, if it counts.

I also have a soft spot for games that tried a more realistic aesthetic, like Jurassic Park (Genesis), Judge Dead, and Alien 3, even if they weren't always the greatest.

Super Mario World, was my first ever owned console game and what a way to start. So many great fun sessions with my ex gf, trying to find the secret levels etc. What a blast, thanks Nintendo.

It's between Ganbare Goemon 2 (can't fully understand what's going on in the others, they weren't translated), Ristar, Pulseman, and Yoshi's Island for me. Hard to choose among either of the four.

SonyToo!™;123392120 said:
The_New_Zealand_Story_cover.jpg

Everybody needs to play this game, preferably the arcade version.
+1. Great game; too bad on glitched on me near the end. Never got the chance to finish it :(

This is a very fun one too. Sadly it's a bit on easy side (until the final boss fight, and maybe part of the lava level before that).

There's another thread about that video. The general consensus is that video is kind of a joke.

Top Bottom