• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite actors that played evil or jerkass characters, but nice in real life?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Off the top of my head I love that Jack Gleeson (Joffrey) is such a nice guy in real life. I feel bad that people are sometimes mean in public to him because of his role that he played masterfully. Similar in scope is Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy), who is basically like the 2nd coming of Johnny from Karate Kid, that also got shitted on in real life for his portrayal of Draco.

The late great Alan Rickman deserves more than a mention. Snape and The Gruber?

I'm sure a common mention will be Robert Englund. In the vein of horror, director Clive Barker would be another one.

Peter Cushing from Star Wars: A New Hope. I'm going to steal this bit about him from tvtropes

All of Peter Cushing's co-stars describe him as one of the nicest men you would ever meet, and yet his second-most famous role was as a planet-exploding fascist in A New Hope. His love for his wife was so strong that after she died, he tried to give himself a heart attack by running up and down a flight of stairs. Knowing this makes the 1972 Tales from the Crypt movie much more difficult to watch, where his character is driven to suicide. When presented on British national TV with a variety of rose named in honor of his late wife, he broke down and cried. Carrie Fisher found it almost impossible to muster up any hatred for the character Grand Moff Tarkin while on set of Star Wars, because she had to deliver the lines to Cushing, whom she had grown to respect. That, and Cushing played the role in bathroom slippers, as costuming gave him a pair of boots that were too small. And smelled of lavender: hardly a "foul stench"... It was also reported Carrie Fisher couldn't even get intimidated or scared in his presence, he was so polite and such a gentleman off-screen. Peter Cushing stated in interviews that he played the character of Dr. Who [sic] in the two 1960s Dalek films as a kind, adventurous grandfather because he'd grown tired of being known for his mad scientists in the Hammer Horror films.

An honorable mention needs to be made for wrestlers The Undertaker, Kaine, and last but not least Mick Foley.

You'll find many examples of Movie actors, TV actors, and musicians to find that are kind and caring, and a lot of times a bit shy in real life.

A lot of people here and in the world lament that they are such a nice or kind person to their perceived detriment, but you'll see that a lot of people, famous even, are also kind and caring people.

I'll leave this bit about how Heath Ledger, who was known to be kind and caring in real life, profusely thanking personally every crew member for staying late because he wanted to continue filming a Joker scene in The Dark Knight

The Joker from The Dark Knight was terrifying when he wasn't being funny (and even more terrifying when he was). But his actor Heath Ledger was a pretty nice fellow. To give you an idea, he skateboarded on set, and talked about his daughter to fellow cast and crew members between takes, all while in his Joker ensemble! Christopher Nolan said that at one point they were filming a scene that Ledger wanted to keep working on, feeling that he was just getting it right, though it was nearing quitting time. They wound up filming quite a bit longer than anyone had intended, and afterward Ledger went around and personally thanked each crew member for staying late. Michael Caine even noted in interviews that contrary to rumor, he didn't believe playing the Joker had anything to do with Ledger's death, saying that in between takes Ledger would be sitting in his chair, totally normal, usually asking Michael about old films he'd done and, again, talking about his daughter.

Platy

Deadpool's Francis because he is one of the only celebrities that said "i fucked up" instead of "sorry you think i fucked up" when they fucked up

Not sure if he is kind, but I remember the older brother on the wonder years said some lady walked up to him at an airport and yelled at him about how he treated his brother and hs said "lady, I play a character on tv".

Slermy

Penny Johnson Jerald in 24. She was so evil, but she seems genuinely very nice:
SherryPalmer.jpg

Chojin

Jack Gleeson (King Joffrey) is apparently one of the nicest people.

Maybe Danny Trejo? No, still awesomely scary!

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
It's a pretty common thing for actors known for playing villains and heavies to be some of the nicest people in the industry. It's like they're able to channel all the negativity they have inside of them into their characters.

So many in the horror community. The ones that stand out who I have personally met are:

Tony Todd
Doug Bradley
Tom Savini
Derrick Mears (Jason from the 2009 film)
Gary Busey
Jamie Foxx
Robert Englund
Kane Hodder
Lena Headley

pablito

James Gandolfini - Tony Soprano. I don't have any quotes, but from the way people talked about him when he passed away made me hope people will have half the good things to say about me when I die.

UberTag

It's a pretty common thing for actors known for playing villains and heavies to be some of the nicest people in the industry. It's like they're able to channel all the negativity they have inside of them into their characters.
More like they really embrace what it means to be an actor. They revel in the opportunity to act out a role that is completely unlike their natural personality and go all out.

Altazor

Walter White is a monster. Bryan Cranston, from what I've read, is a very compassionate and funny guy - closer to Hal than Heisenberg.

Danny Radcliffe on Alan Rickman after his passing.

”Alan Rickman is undoubtedly one of the greatest actors I will ever work with. He is also, one of the loyalest and most supportive people I've ever met in the film industry. He was so encouraging of me both on set and in the years post-Potter. I'm pretty sure he came and saw everything I ever did on stage both in London and New York. He didn't have to do that. I know other people who've been friends with him for much much longer than I have and they all say ”if you call Alan, it doesn't matter where in the world he is or how busy he is with what he's doing, he'll get back to you within a day".

People create perceptions of actors based on the parts they played so it might surprise some people to learn that contrary to some of the sterner (or downright scary) characters he played, Alan was extremely kind, generous, self-deprecating and funny. And certain things obviously became even funnier when delivered in his unmistakable double-bass.

As an actor he was one of the first of the adults on Potter to treat me like a peer rather than a child. Working with him at such a formative age was incredibly important and I will carry the lessons he taught me for the rest of my life and career. Film sets and theatre stages are all far poorer for the loss of this great actor and man."

Sounds like he was a top bloke.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
More like they really embrace what it means to be an actor. They revel in the opportunity to act out a role that is completely unlike their natural personality and go all out.

Two sides of the same coin, really. Most actors use personal feelings and experiences in their performances. Can't act out anger or hate if you don't know what it feels like. So they're able to enjoy being a completely different person and get a little cathartic therapy in the process. That's how it worked for me, anyway.

Toxi

Banned
So many in the horror community. The ones that stand out who I have personally met are:

Tony Todd
Doug Bradley
Tom Savini
Derrick Mears (Jason from the 2009 film)
Gary Busey
Jamie Foxx
Robert Englund
Kane Hodder
Lena Headley
You've met some awesome people.

EGM1966

Good shout OP: Cushing and Rickman are the top two that always come to mind in this category, Cushing in particular so it's good to see he's still known to many.

Jedi2016

Not really a bad guy, but I met Jenette Goldstein at a convention once:

6694.gif

Tough guy (gal), I guess you could say. But she's actually very sweet and down to earth, with a genuine smile for everyone around her.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
MV5BMjEzNzY4OTgwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzc2OTAxOQ@@._V1_UY317_CR15,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Steven Ogg. Played Trevor in GTA5, the asshole Savior who is more menacing than Negan in The Walking Dead, and just general creepers in other stuff. Seems like a really nice guy though, very appreciative of fans.

Jodie Foster Admits She Never Spoke To Anthony Hopkins During Filming Of ‘The Silence Of The Lambs’

In an interview on this week’s ‘Graham Norton Show’, the 53-year-old actress revealed that after meeting him on the first day of filming, she didn’t speak to him again until the movie had wrapped.

“I never spoke to him because he was so scary,” she says. “The first day we had a read through and by the end of it I never wanted to talk to him again - I was petrified.

“We got to the end of the movie and really had never had a conversation. I actually avoided him but on the last day he came up to me and I said, with tears in my eyes, how scared I was of him and he said, ‘But, I was scared of you!’”

Ray Down

Banned
I always associate Gene Hackman with playing a evil/villainies character, though I can't find any info if he a good person in real life.

Shadybiz

Steven Ogg. Played Trevor in GTA5, the asshole Savior who is more menacing than Negan in The Walking Dead, and just general creepers in other stuff. Seems like a really nice guy though, very appreciative of fans.

I THOUGHT I recognized his voice from somewhere when I saw him in TWD. Good stuff!

Rhoc

Ben Mendelsohn comes to mind. In the interviews I watched from him he always appears down to earth and kind. He's such a good actor for evil characters.

Woody Harrelson in Natural Born Killers pretty much made me assume he was pure evil for years, only to find out he's actually a really cool, likeable pothead.

L Thammy

Supposedly Norio Wakamoto does his Perfect Cell voice for local kids when they ask Cell to come out and fight them.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Supposedly Norio Wakamoto does his Perfect Cell voice for local kids when they ask Cell to come out and fight them.

From that TV Tropes page

Norio Wakamoto is stockpiling a lot of dangerously evil villains, in person, though, he's quite the Cool Old Guy. The 2011 quake/tsunami event also cements Norio Wakamoto in this trope. When hearing it, he immediately rushed to the scene, helped people with recovery efforts and even said "This isn't over, the big one is yet to come, but I am ready to give my soul for the people.

Ricky_R

This dude right here:

The_Wire_Partlow.jpg

Jamie Hector (Marlo Standfield) said this about him in an interview...

Who on The Wire is the least like the character he plays?

Gbenga Akinnagbe, who plays Chris Partlow. He’s very friendly and very outgoing. Nothing like his character!

Top Bottom