• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite Mega Man weapon?

PixelatedBookake

In honor of the Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 being released, I wanted to know from you guys which Mega Man Robot Master weapon was your favorite?

Mine was always the Quick Boomerang.

Mega_Man_2_weapon_sprite_Quick_Boomerang.png

I had always loved how fast Mega Man was able to shoot it and I think if you caught the boomerang you didn't lose any ammo.

Murrah

Banned
Black hole bomb from mega man 9 is my favorite looking and sounding weapon in the series, on top of it being very useful. It just looks and sounds so chunky, I love it

Besides that I've always been kinda partial to the short range stuff like slash man and sword man's powers, and I love that both of those made it into Mega man's smash bros move set

RockmanBN

latest

Triple Blade from Mega Man 10 had substantial ammo and does great damage. Blademan my first pick because of the weapon.

BriGuy

It's the metal blade, which ironically is also the worst Megaman weapon. It's powerful, can fire in multiple directions, barely uses any energy, and it's the weakness of like three different robot masters.

It's unbalanced as hell, and a chief reason why Megaman 2 is out of contention for best Megaman game.

DragonQuarter

Neo Member
I can't just pick one, so here's my fave from each game in Legacy Collection 2:

Mega Man 7: Junk Shield was O.P.
Mega Man 8: Flash Bomb 'cause of its multi-hit functionality. Followed by Thunder Claw because swinging around Bionic Commando-style was pretty fun!
Mega Man 9: All of them are so freaking good, but Black Hole Bomb is O.P. Followed by Laser Trident for its shield-breaking purposes.
Mega Man 10: Triple Blade. Made Strike Man's stage much less painful.

Mike M

Nick N
Metal Blade is so fucking ridiculous, I have no idea what they could have been thinking.

I kind of liked Flash Bomb. You could steer it, it had a fairly good-sized hit box when it went off, and the explosion lasted a while and delivered a lot of his. The Cyclops in MM8 wasn't particularly vulnerable to it, but a single bomb would expose the eye versus who knows how many buster shots.

I'll forego my normal picks, and instead nominate "Model P" from the ZX games. It allows you to use the Hidden Phantom moveset, which is my favourite of the weapons in that series.
TocHqFK.png

Loved all of them in MM9, but I'd maybe say the Concrete Shot since I used to do a lot of time trials and that was an incredibly versatile weapon.

021b8a840f4f5b478add13d448f76558fcce9a97bc4d816c73cd0c69b5f852c2.gif

Hadouken!

I also really love the plain ol' Mega Buster in Mega Man Legends due to how much you can customize it. You can have slow, powerful shots or make it a weaker rapid-fire weapon.
If we're talking about Robot Masters, then Metal Blade lol.

latest

Hornet Chaser for sure.
First of all we get a tangy orange mega man, second it involves shooting robo hornets out of a blaster, thirdly they home in on targets effectively unlike other homing weapons and lastly they'll pick up items and return them to you, glorious!

Runner up is Black hole bomb, because its a remotely triggered black hole of course. MM9 nailed its weapons.

Or Wood Man's Leaf Shield for its double use as a defensive and offensive weapon.

You can only use it defensively if you stand still. And it's completely useless on any boss other than Air Man. The only time it may be useful is in the rooms with the moving platforms and the floating cylinder head enemies in Crash Man's stage and some of the Wily stages, but why bother using Leaf Shield if you can just use Metal Blade for that instead?

Almost all of the shield weapons in general are pretty garbage because of various restrictions. It wasn't until Mega Man 7 when they started being more usable, as more buttons allowed more freedom to make the firing of the shield weapon a different button. Mind you, they still are generally mediocre even past the NES games, but nowhere near as useless as the ones in the first 6 games.

dralla

Mega Man 9 has a lot of good ones. Concrete Shot, Black Hole Bomb, Hornet Chaser, and Tornado Blow are all awesome. MM9 also has the best shield weapon of the series, Jewel Satellite. I'd probably say Concrete Shot or Black Hole Bomb tho.

Probably Metal Blade. I always go Flash -> Quick -> Metal and it trivializes the game.

You always go Metal Man first bruh

Mike M

Nick N
Gravity hold was always incredibly satisfying to watch enemies fly off the screen.
Some enemies took too many "shots" (those robo tigers/lions/whatever took like there or four), but of all the "attack that his the whole screen" skins go, it's my favorite.

TreIII

latest

Pharaoh Shot.

If you knew what to do, it was possible to use a very good weapon without wasting a single bit of Weapon Energy. Easily one of the most broken weapons a Mega Man has ever had!

I loved Astro Crush from Mega Man 8. My friend and I used to get hyped for that shit when we were kids. I remember using it to freeze myself in midair during the Wily Castle snowboard section lol.

Mike M

Nick N
Pharaoh Shot.

If you knew what to do, it was possible to use a very good weapon without wasting a single bit of Weapon Energy. Easily one of the most broken weapons a Mega Man has ever had!
Seems like using it without using up energy would be way more hassle than it's worth, but it was pretty unique in the way you could get a free hit with it while charging it up before letting it fly.

I think most of Mega Man's best weapons are ones that let him control vertical space.

TreIII

Seems like using it without using up energy would be way more hassle than it's worth, but it was pretty unique in the way you could get a free hit with it while charging it up before letting it fly.

I think most of Mega Man's best weapons are ones that let him control vertical space.

In the original NES version, that much was true. But in an upgraded release that allowed for "on the fly switching" with L & R (like the Complete Works version, which was also used in the GC/PS2 era Anniversary Collection), it did a lot to effectively trivialize the one drawback using such an exploit had.

Haven't actually cracked open the Legacy Collection, so I don't know if it offers that type of switching, too, or not.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Metal Blade obviously, but I gotta say...

latest

Hornet Chaser for sure.
First of all we get a tangy orange mega man, second it involves shooting robo hornets out of a blaster, thirdly they home in on targets effectively unlike other homing weapons and lastly they'll pick up items and return them to you, glorious!

Runner up is Black hole bomb, because its a remotely triggered black hole of course. MM9 nailed its weapons.

latest

Laser Trident is basically an upgraded Mega Buster.

latest

GOAT.

You used this, you knew you were playing a next gen mega man title.

... Say what you will about Mega Man 9 - I don't find it that good in retrospect -, but it got one thing more right than any other MM game: the weapons. Many of them are useful, and don't use up so much ammo that you never dare use them. Of those mentioned so far, the Laser Trident might be my favorite. Sure, it's straightforward, but it's more powerful than the mega buster and goes through enemies, which makes it great without breaking the game like the Metal Blade.

I'd add the diamond shield. It's the first actually useful shield weapon in a Mega Man game, because you can move while using it, and it doesn't use up ammo or disappear when it kills an enemy, IIRC.

Mike M

Nick N
MM9 was amazing as far as the weapons went.

Black Hole Bomb: Kind of like an 8 bit Flash Bomb with a vortex effect (I think?). You can steer it and remote detonate it to boot.

Gem Shield: Nigh indestructible, and it was mobile. Best shield the series has ever seen.

Plug Ball: Like a suped-up Search Snake.

Tornadow Blow: Tornado Hold's jump assistance trait applied to the whole screen.

Magma Bazooka: Chargeable spread shot for modest energy cost.

Hornet Chaser: Homing shot that retrieves items!

Laser Trident: Like Metal Blade, but reasonable.

Concrete Shot: Create steps, "freeze" lava beams and enemies, block lasers.

Sciz

They actually nailed it all the way back in the first game:

Power and versatility in a single package without being stupid broken like metal blade or jewel satellite. Bonus points for being terrifying to be on the other end of.

Also a big fan of Pirate Man's remote sticky bombs.

If we extend it to all weapons,

No, the Rush power adapter doesn't have any range. But it's so fun. One of the only things in the franchise that can crush a guarded Met.

woopWOOP

Heat Man's Atomic Fire

because doing the charge up super shot before MM4 made it a regular thing was SO COOL

Top Bottom