• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite national monument?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I personally think the Lady Liberty is an overrated mess, being it gets all it's exposure from being in one of the most populous cities on the planet, place it somewhere else and it's just as ordinary as the rest and the hideous puke green? What the fuck was the french thinking?

10985551_962834140408549_8859839989096153034_o-862x899.jpg

What's your favorite national, world monument?

iu

For some reason these giant swords are just an amazing concept.

16175014868_16716b25b2_b.jpg

It's not necessarily what I would call a national monument necessarily, as it's pretty new, but it's done in commemoration of King Harald Hårfagre/Harald Fairhair, gathering Norway into one kingdom in 872 (but not really).

The danes have the pretty Jelling Runic Stone.

65773906.jpg

Do you want something sad? This is Norway's most famous monument.

5453824207_346951c8ef_b.jpg

It's an angry, crying, naked small kid. It's pretty sad. #AngryMunchkin

While this is about monuments, the Norwegian Stave Churches have become like monuments in my opinion. They're so fascinating, making you think of places like Japan, but not really, and it's European.

2420132.jpg

For you Americans, I've got the FDR statue in Oslo, Norway.

statue-of-franklin-d.jpg

and the hideous puke green? What the fuck was the french thinking?

The statue of liberty was not originally green, it's made out of copper, so it was originally a bronze color, but copper turns green over time (you may see spots of green on an old penny)

I'm guessing any other metal would have been too expensive given the size of the statue.

highrider

Banned
As a Washington DC native, I have to go with the Korean War Memorial. Beautiful sculpture that imo captures the pain of armed conflict. Very powerful in person.

John Day

I love Mount Rushmore. Not a single Democrat to be found!

I’m not a republican or democrat per se, but i just had to laugh at this lol.

I think the Lady Liberty loses it’s shine once you see it and realize is not as big as in the movies. Damn Hollywood.

DiscoJer

I'm biased, since I am from St. Louis, but the Arch is pretty damn neat. There are a lot o statues, but really only one giant arch.

I love Mount Rushmore. Not a single Democrat to be found!

Thomas Jefferson. Somewhat different name, but same party.

Top Bottom