• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your first free July XBL Gold game is Defense Grid: The Awakening

Steroyd

Ok somebody remind me what the terms are for this. Do you get the game as long as you're a gold subscriber? Or are they to keep? I thought I heard something about a six month time limit? What's the deal?

It's only available for a set period of time (2 weeks) and when you download it, you keep it.

Basically you get one free game every two weeks for the next 6 months.

Dingotech

Man oh man... Microsoft delivering the value...

They keep justifying my decision to stop playing/paying for things on my 360 and shifting to my PS3/Vita.

netBuff

Ok somebody remind me what the terms are for this. Do you get the game as long as you're a gold subscriber? Or are they to keep? I thought I heard something about a six month time limit? What's the deal?

You can keep the games, but this program (free games with Gold) ceases to exist in December.

It's only available for a set period of time (2 weeks) and when you download it, you keep it.

Basically you get one free game every two weeks for the next 6 months.
Thanks. Considering that I reluctantly re-upped my gold sub just to watch Game of Thrones and Netflix, I'll take every one of these games.

However, this pales in comparison to ps+. I never complain about free stuff though

JawzPause

Would you rather get old cheap games that you keep forever (xbl) or more & fairly new games that you only keep during your subscription (ps+) ?
It's debatable but I'd go for the latter.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hm. I have the game already, but I think it's kinda cool.

I hate when "freebies" are games basically EVERYONE on the platform already purchased. To me, that's worse than giving away an inexpensive game, because it gives a large amount of the audience nothing at all.

If they are trying to impart the feeling of "Value" though, I'd wish they'd either:

• Give all it's DLC away free with it, too!
Or
  • Give away multiple arcade titles at once. There's HUGE backlog! Where's my R-Type Dimensions, to go along with this Def.Grid?

I'm just glad there are some Arcade games on the list. I'm more likely to go back and play a 1-off of smaller game, than some triple A release that has had sequels and spinnoffs that eclipse / expand upon it, released since.

yatesl

PS+ gets Uncharted 3, XCOM, LBP Karting, Saint's Row 3, Battlefield 3, Ninja Gaiden. Xbox Games with Gold gets Defense Grid: The Awakening.

Cool.

Jamie OD

As much as I don't care for playing Halo 3 and AC2 in 2013, they were still good choices for kicking off the service. This here is just starting off with a whimper instead of a bang.

It's worth more then Halo 3 or AC2, I'll give them that.

37451420.jpg

softie

PS+ gets Uncharted 3, XCOM, LBP Karting, Saint's Row 3, Battlefield 3, Ninja Gaiden. Xbox Games with Gold gets Defense Grid: The Awakening.

Cool.

August EU PS+ also looks pretty neat with DmC, SpecOps: The Line, New Little King's Story, Vikings Attack and another unannounced game. ;-)

Sony needs to step up their PS+ game if they expect to continue competing in the console market space.

Well played, Microsoft!

Eusis

I just rewatched it. "To kick off that program...two of the titles in the next few months...Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3."

Those rascals!
That probably means AC2 and Halo 3 will be the highlights over the entire run then.

... It was already looking bad when some of the Xbox fans assumed this to be a permanent change, it's worse that now it doesn't even look like "hey we got Halo 3 and AC2 next month!" and more likely they'll throw a bunch of arcade titles and maybe a few more older retail games. Not that some of these aren't good, Defense Grid IS supposed to be a great game, but I suspect most of them will be games I have on Steam already if I didn't have them on Xbox.
You know you need a new PR team when you're getting slammed for giving things away for free...
Maybe this is just a slip up on my part, but it really does feel like there's a lot of misinformation and misdirection from Microsoft and you have to be extremely vigilant. I got the impression Halo 3 and AC2 were next months games, not those that'll eventually come.

Top Bottom