• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your first free July XBL Gold game is Defense Grid: The Awakening

I find it baffling that Microsoft decided to start with such a minor game as this. I fully expected them to start with a 'showstopper' (like, I don't know, Bioshock or Gears Of War 1/2?), considering they have such an problem with consumer goodwill right now.

EDIT: Oh, Fable III was earlier? I didn't even know about that.

You know you need a new PR team when you're getting slammed for giving things away for free...

Yup. Unless I didn't pick up on your sarcasm, in which case not yup.

I'm also surprised how many people missed that Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed II would come eventualy.

By the way, as a silver member, will I be able to download this game if I buy a 48 hour card for a buck or two?

Nokterian

Wow microsoft..really what a gift! Get defense grid for pc people,more content and summer sale around the corner for a low low price.

Having PS+ now..best value money can buy 4 new games on my PS Vita. Yeah seeing how lacking microsoft is..it shows.

Ushae

Banned
Wasn't Fable 3 the first free game, why not use that as ur thread title OP?? Do some you enjoy giving out misinformation?

Madness

They said and to kick off this program here are two games we'll be releasing, Assassins Creed 2 and Halo 3.

They only said in the next few months we'll be releasing many games etc.

Just more patented Microsoft doublespeak and tactics. People from 343 were caught off guard and didn't even know it would be free, so I'm guessing they probably complained. They're too busy with Halo 4 and Halo 5 development, they don't have any sustain team to fix playlists for the eventual surge in halo 3 users.

Plus Halo 4 is now 8th on XBL behind so many games, I imagine Halo 3 would've been top 5 again. Look how high fable 3 got.

Harlock

Defense Grid is a good game, but 3 years old and selling for cents in steam now. Very bad start, typical from MS.

Eusis

Wasn't Fable 3 the first free game, why not use that as ur thread title OP?? Do some you enjoy giving out misinformation?
Nevermind July being there, it seems ridiculous to accuse him of that when Microsoft was making it sound like we'd be getting Halo 3 and AC2 this month.

VeeP

They should make Viva Pinata and Shadowrun free.

Shadow run should definitely be free. One of the most underrated games this generation. Top 5 shooters this gen.

Edit: Viva Piñata, Crackdown, and others would be a great choice too.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
You know you need a new PR team when you're getting slammed for giving things away for free...

Well, when you pull a bait & switch, for a game that is practically worthless to any PC gamer, yes, that's horrific PR.

It's not like Halo 3 has an residual value anyway, so it would've have costed MS anything to kick off with it, considering Fable 3 was also free but clearly someone there has a twisted sense of humour.

Seriously, free is free, but someone needs to go in and fire pretty much anyone who thought this was a clever idea to pull such a stunt.

SuperPac

I just rewatched it. "To kick off that program...two of the titles in the next few months...Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3."

Those rascals!

Still, that statement implies the first two were going to be Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2. That they aren't and that Major Nelson has to explain that in a FAQ on his site is beyond stupid.

While I wasn't falling all over myself to get Halo 3 or Assassin's Creed 2, I am equally unimpressed with an XBLA game that came out almost FOUR years ago going free. Is that the only game in the program for the whole month?

Kifimbo

It's not like Halo 3 has an residual value anyway, so it would've have costed MS anything to kick off with it, considering Fable 3 was also free but clearly someone there has a twisted sense of humour.

Wrong if the game is coming to Steam.

Toki767

Still, that statement implies the first two were going to be Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2. That they aren't and that Major Nelson has to explain that in a FAQ on his site is beyond stupid.

While I wasn't falling all over myself to get Halo 3 or Assassin's Creed 2, I am equally unimpressed with an XBLA game that came out almost FOUR years ago going free. Is that the only game in the program for the whole month?

There will be another game on the 16th. Whether it'll be Halo 3 or AC2 or some other game remains to be seen. Don't have high hopes though. This is not even close to PS+.

Eusis

Why was it free then? Oo

Very, very misleading. MS NEVER give shit for free. Amirite? One would automatically assume.
It's just a misinformation clusterfuck, Fable III is absolutely part of the deal, period.

And the misinformation has been going all sorts of ways: some think it's literally right up until the XB1 launch when it's until December 31st, some think it's going to stay part of Gold, some think Fable III's not part of it, some if not many thought AC2/Halo 3 would be next month only for them to announce something else entirely... It's just really frustrating when it comes to Microsoft as of late. Like, to the point where I really don't think I can trust them until I see what the hell actually happens.

Dingotech

People are defending this effort....

The devs for Defence Grid were giving away free PC keys on facebook not long ago, who doesn't have a copy of it by now.

If Microsoft want me back as a customer poor efforts like this aren't going to inspire me.

MrDaravon

Defense Grid is a great game, anyone who doesn't already have it should grab it here if they have Gold. That said, what the fuck MS?

Sigh... Really? I was kind of looking forward to replaying ACII again... hell even H3, as it would probably get a surge in popularity again.

Oh well, forget it.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Wrong if the game is coming to Steam.

Well they plan to give it away at some point so if the rumours are correct they're going to kick themselves in that regard at some point, may as well get it out of the way now.

I'm sure we'll be seeing PR doublespeak and nonsense from the like of Major Nelson on this, which seems to be typical of MS lately. It's like being straight with their consumers has become alien to them or something across the entire consumer division.

dab0ne

Why was it free then? Oo

Very, very misleading. MS NEVER give shit for free. Amirite? One would automatically assume.

They did, literally, give shit for free with Fable 3.

But on a serious note, they should be giving relevant games if they expect to be anything but be a laughing stock with this garbage.

Kyon

Banned
Please understand

ibwjXFMG9xcdW6.gif

Majanew

Banned
Defense Grid? Haha what. I guess most of the games that will be free will be turds that no one wants. Glad to know you give a shit, Microsoft.

They did, literally, give shit for free with Fable 3.

But on a serious note, they should be giving relevant games if they expect to be anything buy a laughing stock with this garbage.

I started playing Fable 3 and it wasn't very fun :S

I've never heard of Defence Grid, and their choice for giving away Halo 3 is poor. 98% of 360 owners have Halo 3.

I'm kinda disappointed. I would rather have Microsoft give me nothing than something lame....

TimmiT

Defense Grid is a good game... not really comparable to what you get on PS+ though. The page does say that there will be a second free game later this month, but when their output so far has been Fable 3 and Defense Grid and that they touted Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 as big games for this, I wouldn't get my hopes up for anything great.

vazel

Banned
People are defending this effort....

The devs for Defence Grid were giving away free PC keys on facebook not long ago, who doesn't have a copy of it by now.

If Microsoft want me back as a customer poor efforts like this aren't going to inspire me.
It was also one of the games given out for free during the 2011 Steam holiday sale.

AIOL0ky.png

Top Bottom