• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your historic GotY awards;

What a ride through memory lane.
Sorry OP, cannot pick one favourite of all time when I have three. These three have unseated longtime trio of Fallout/Fallout 2/Deus Ex.

2019: Metro Exodus
2018: Kingdom Come: Deliverance / Red Dead Redemption 2 (impossible to choose, both are in my TOP3 of all time)
2017: Prey
2016: The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
2015: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
2014: Alien: Isolation
2013: Grand Theft Auto 5
2012: Sleeping Dogs
2011: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
2010: Fallout: New Vegas
2009: STALKER: Call of Pripyat
2008: Fallout 3
2007: The Witcher
2006: Hitman: Blood Money
2005: Gothic 2: Night of the Raven
2004: Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines
2003: Max Payne 2: Fall of Max Payne
2002: Mafia
2001: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
2000: Deus Ex
1999: Planescape: Torment
1998: Fallout 2
1997: Fallout
1996: Diablo

This guy. It's a shame it took 33 posts to see OG fallout on these lists.

nocoolnamejim

Neo Member
I know what you mean some years you agonize over two games, other years you have to really think what came out you absolutely loved.

This year hasn't been that good for me, especially compared to last year.

Next year though is going to be my hardest year for sure Deadly Premonition 2, Ghost Wire, Last of Us 2, Cyberpunk, Doom Eternal, Final Fantasy 7 remake, Avengers plus PS5 launch games (Horizon 2!?, Bioshock!? Harrry Potter!?) How am I going to choose one game from that list? :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

Yeah, picking a single game by year was so much more challenging than picking a top-50 list for me. There are just sometimes dry years out there where you don't have any game that particularly sticks with you. Doesn't necessarily mean that there weren't "good" games in a particularly year, but there are years I can think of when I genuinely struggle to think of an all time GREAT game.

On the other hand, I also can think of a few years where I've been spoiled with multiple games that leave a truly lasting impression. (Which games do this will vary of course based on our individual gaming tastes.) Ultimately this is why I chose in my list to list games that I deserved mentioning as close contenders that might have won in a different year while still picking my winner for the year.

Swan Freespeak

Neo Member
1993 - Wing Commander: Privateer (Origin Systems)
1994 - Warcraft: Orcs & Humans (Blizzard Entertainment)
1995 - Warcraft 2: Tides Of Darkness (Blizzard Entertainment)
1996 - Command & Conquer: Red Alert (Westwood Studios)
1997 - Age Of Empires (Ensemble Studios)
1998 - The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (Nintendo EAD)
1999 - Age Of Empires 2 (Ensemble Studios)
2000 - The Sims (EA)
2001 - Max Payne (Remedy / Rockstar)
2002 - Morrowind: Elder Scrolls III (Bethesda) & Battlefield 1942 (EA). - dead heat - still play both almost daily
2003 - Postal 2 (Running With Scissors)
2004 - Unreal Tournament (Epic Games / Digital Extremes)
2005 - Guitar Hero (Harmonix Music Systems)
2006 - The Godfather (EA Redwood Shores)
2013 - GTA V (Rockstar)

Hostile_18

Banned
Well the year is all but over so final updates for 2019 entry. I'm sticking to my original post and my award goes to Days Gone. Runner up award goes to Plague: Tale Innocene and in 3rd place Resident Evil 2: Remake.

Special shout out to Crash Team Racing for AMAZING after sales content. Possibly the best I've ever seen. I'll gladly support paid expansions/there next game.

Overall not the best year for me... but 2020... oh boy!

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Well I could NEVER have anticipated 2020.. in any sense. However we did get Doom Eternal, Animal Crossing, Last of Us: Part 2, Final Fantasy 7, Cyberpunk, Avengers and Ghost of Tsushima to name but a few.

I'm going to update my first post with my 2020 GOTY which is.... The Last of Us: Part 2. It's not without its faults, perhaps more so than any other recent Naughty Dog game but theres no denying it's an incredible experience. Cyberpunk has the potential to replace it as it gets updated with its next gen patch, expansions come out etc but for now the team at Naughty Dog have done it again (and that game too will be likely updated with a next gen patch and Factions mode).

Perfect time to likewise update your posts with this years winner if you havent already. I'd also be interested in anyone else's historic awards now we have more traction here. 😁

Last edited:
Top Bottom